Cop: "You're Recording Me? I Will Pull My Gun On You."

Started by Shiranu, March 23, 2016, 06:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Don't worry, I am sure there isn't a problem within the cop culture of abuse of authority.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hakurei Reimu

Maybe, maybe not. People abuse their authority all the time because they're human, and of course the cops need the most scrutiny as they are the ones serving the public trust. But I am weary of calling anything a "culture of X" without some statistics to back it up.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Baruch

If you interfere with police action ... get in their way ... you can be arrested.  Video or stills from a respectful distance aren't a problem, unless you have something to hide.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

I no longer give cops permission to search anything of mine without a warrant, not my wallet,  not my phone,  not my car and certainly not my home. I was stopped once for a tail light violation on my way home from work. I had my tools in the trunk and they were confiscated with the claim that they suspected they were burglary tools.  Several of them were air sanders because at the time I did autobody work for a living. I'm not real sure, but I'm pretty sure that most burglary doesn't involve sanding the door down to get in.. Needless to say that I was out quite a bit of money because auto body tools just don't grow on trees. I finally got them all back, but in the meantime had to go buy a whole new set of tools..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on March 23, 2016, 09:22:41 PM
Maybe, maybe not. People abuse their authority all the time because they're human, and of course the cops need the most scrutiny as they are the ones serving the public trust. But I am weary of calling anything a "culture of X" without some statistics to back it up.

I'm really not sure what else you can call it when the departments allow them to get away with whatever they want, with the "consequence" a paid vacation.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Shiranu on March 23, 2016, 11:54:48 PM
I'm really not sure what else you can call it when the departments allow them to get away with whatever they want, with the "consequence" a paid vacation.
I think the words you're looking for are chicken shit corruption?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

PickelledEggs

I don't know if anyone else heard the cop, but it was pretty clear that the cop said for the guy to get his "hands out of his pocket"... and he said this many times. Why the guy wouldn't take his hands out of his pocket, I don't know, but I can't blame the cop for being cautious if the guy is being stubborn and not taking his hands out of his pocket. He could have a weapon for all the cop knows. As far as I'm concerned this is a pretty shitty video for it's intent.

Shiranu

Quote from: PickelledEggs on March 24, 2016, 01:17:38 AM
I don't know if anyone else heard the cop, but it was pretty clear that the cop said for the guy to get his "hands out of his pocket"... and he said this many times. Why the guy wouldn't take his hands out of his pocket, I don't know, but I can't blame the cop for being cautious if the guy is being stubborn and not taking his hands out of his pocket. He could have a weapon for all the cop knows. As far as I'm concerned this is a pretty shitty video for it's intent.

The cop is the one who escalated the situation in the first place. There was zero reason to get out of his car and confront the guy.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on March 24, 2016, 01:20:11 AM
The cop is the one who escalated the situation in the first place. There was zero reason to get out of his car and confront the guy.
Firstly, the video is chop-cut all to shit. You can't tell what is happening and it's pretty clear it's edited to make the cop look worse than he actually was. Secondly, who in their right mind, put's their hands in their pocket when being talked to by a cop. Would you put your hands in your pocket if you got pulled over? No you wouldn't. This trend of "I can do whatever I want because I'm recording the police is a travesty and only makes real situations overlooked because it's like crying wolf... If a cop asks you to take your hands out of your pocket, you take them out. Period.

Also. The guy immediately defensive to the cop too, which would make any cop suspicious/cautious. Not to mention how we don't know the reason he drove to what looks like the end of a dead-end street with no traffic. It looks too "fixed" of a video in the way of making the cop look bad.

What happened between him videoing the guy back and him opening his door? Oh yeah. You don't know because it was cut out. We do hear the guy harassing the cop about the video tape though. If the guy had his hand in his pocket, it would be a very reasonable cause for the cop to get out of his car. And if you notice, the cop only pulls his gun after the guy gets super defensive (STILL without removing his hands from his pocket)

If you want to perpetuate this "Abusive cop culture" at least use a video with more substance and not one with what seems like all the causes to the effects cut out.

Shiranu

Only in America (and I guess maybe places like Iran, Russia...) do we actually have to make excuses for a cop pulling a gun on someone for recording them....

In a country where cops have the right to cold-bloodedly murder someone because they felt "intimidated" as that person had their back to them, or they feel they can choke and kill someone who isn't even resisting, I think being defensive to a cop is a perfectly reasonable response.

Again... if the guy is on his property doing nothing wrong, and the cop has zero reason to stop, get out and approach him other than, "You were recording me", fuck whatever the cop tells you to do. He is already in the wrong and has lost his "privilege" to boss you around. Does that make it smart to not do what he says? No, that's how you get yourself shot. But that doesn't make his actions acceptable. It's like arguing a robber isn't "as bad" for pulling a gun on someone because the guy didn't just hand him his wallet immediately. Yes, the guy was maybe being an idiot for not handing it over when he knew the guy was a threat, but that doesn't somehow make the robber justified.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on March 24, 2016, 01:35:55 AM
Only in America (and I guess maybe places like Iran, Russia...) do we actually have to make excuses for a cop pulling a gun on someone for recording them....
Why don't you take a moment and read what I said? The cop was clear that the guy needs to take his hand out of his pocket. It's pretty clear that that is what the cop is getting out of his car and pulling his gun for, even despite the desperate attempt to make it seem it's because the cop was "driving around the neighborhood" and pulled his gun because he was being recorded.

Shiranu

Quote from: PickelledEggs on March 24, 2016, 01:47:41 AM
Why don't you take a moment and read what I said? The cop was clear that the guy needs to take his hand out of his pocket. It's pretty clear that that is what the cop is getting out of his car and pulling his gun for, even despite the desperate attempt to make it seem it's because the cop was "driving around the neighborhood" and pulled his gun because he was being recorded.

And again, why don't you take a moment and read what I said? There is no reason for the cop to have ever stopped in the first place where the guy having his hand in his pocket would matter. Unless cops now need to stop everyone who looks at them and dares to have their hand in their pocket.

If the guy isn't doing anything wrong, move the fuck along.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on March 24, 2016, 01:49:09 AM
And again, why don't you take a moment and read what I said? There is no reason for the cop to have ever stopped in the first place where the guy having his hand in his pocket would matter. Unless cops now need to stop everyone who looks at them and dares to have their hand in their pocket.

How do you know why he stopped/if he had no reason to stop? Oh yeah. You don't. It was all cut out. Not to mention that you don't know if the cop got a call over the radio. Have you ever listened to the police band on a CB radio? there are tons of calls for cops to check things out at houses for disturbances and suspicious behavior etc. Bottom line is: you don't know why the cop was driving around the neighborhood. You don't know what the guy was doing before hand. You don't know what happened between the cop filming the guy and him getting out of the car. 

You don't know if the guy was doing anything wrong or not. Or even if the cop was called there because someone in the neighborhood called the cops on him.

All these things... you. don't. know.

All I really can go by is that the cop looked like he was asking the guy to get his hands out of his pocket.. which is weird considering this is the video the guy uploaded.

Johan

Quote from: Shiranu on March 24, 2016, 01:49:09 AM

Cops don't need a reason to stop their vehicle, get out and approach an individual and this is how it should be. Because the alternative to that is a police force that is MUCH less able to protect the public effectively. Careful what you wish for.

Also, what EXACTLY was the dude doing before the video began? He claims he was hooking up his boat trailer. But there is no video of that so is that the truth? I have no fucking idea and neither do you.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on March 24, 2016, 01:20:11 AM

Cop protocol means they get to escalate not you ... it is the law.  They are not trained to be Mr Rodgers.  And like the IRS, at least in practice, you are guilty until after the judge frees you.  You have no rights (except in Easter Bunny land).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.