News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Why isn't there a war on Easter?

Started by Poison Tree, March 24, 2013, 05:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poison Tree

I recently stumbled upon a column by Tina Dupuy with that title. While her writing is so-so in my opinion, I do think the topic is an interesting one.

I'd argue that Christmas is (and has been for a long time) primarily a secular holiday, but there is a lot of kicking and screaming about it from religious conservatives. Easter, with the resurrection--supposedly the focus of Christianity; take that baby Jesus--and the passover/Exodus, appears to be even more secularized than Christmas. Yet almost no one bothers to complain about it. Go to mass at sun rise (unlikely), watch the ten commandments at night (maybe), but make damn certain to gorge yourself on pagan symbol sweets in between.

Could Tina be correct: it's all about the money. Putting Christ back in Christmas equals selling more gifts,  but taking the pagan out of Easter hurts candy sales.   :-k
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

_Xenu_

Its always about the money...
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

AllPurposeAtheist

Let's declare war on illegal rabbits..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Atheon

Bill O'Reilly seems to think there is.

[youtube:9tj2rap6]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niJYiwjyTsk[/youtube:9tj2rap6]
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

stromboli

The celebration of Easter after March 21st is based on the spring Equinox, decided by the Council of Nicea.

QuoteEaster is a moveable feast, meaning it is not fixed in relation to the civil calendar. The First Council of Nicaea (325) established the date of Easter as the first Sunday after the full moon (the Paschal Full Moon) following the March equinox.[9] Ecclesiastically, the equinox is reckoned to be on 21 March (even though the equinox occurs, astronomically speaking, on 20 March in most years), and the "Full Moon" is not necessarily the astronomically correct date. The date of Easter therefore varies between 22 March and 25 April. Eastern Christianity bases its calculations on the Julian calendar whose 21 March corresponds, during the 21st century, to 3 April in the Gregorian calendar, in which the celebration of Easter therefore varies between 4 April and 8 May.

Many other more ancient cultures also celebrated the Spring (Vernal) equinox prior to the Christians, just like Christmas
http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/ostarat ... qWorld.htm

QuoteWhile Pagans and Wiccans are celebrating Ostara, and Christians are observing Easter, it's important to remember that the dawning of spring has been observed for a long time in many other cultures as well. Traditions vary widely from one country to the next. Here are some ways that residents of different parts of the world observe the season.

Egypt:

The Festival of Isis was held in ancient Egypt as a celebration of spring and rebirth. Isis features prominently in the story of the resurrection of her lover, Osiris. Although Isis' major festival was held in the fall, folklorist Sir James Frazer says in The Golden Bough that "We are told that the Egyptians held a festival of Isis at the time when the Nile began to rise... the goddess was then mourning for the lost Osiris, and the tears which dropped from her eyes swelled the impetuous tide of the river."

Iran:

In Iran, the festival of No Ruz begins shortly before the vernal equinox. The phrase "No Ruz" actually means "new day," and this is a time of hope and rebirth. Typically, a lot of cleaning is done, old broken items are repaired, homes are repainted, and fresh flowers are gathered and displayed indoors. The Iranian new year begins on the day of the equinox, and typically people celebrate by getting outside for a picnic or other activity with their loved ones. No Ruz is deeply rooted in the beliefs of Zoroastrianism, which was the predominant religion in ancient Persia before Islam came along.

Ireland:

In Ireland, St. Patrick's Day is celebrated each year on March 17. St. Patrick is known as a symbol of Ireland, particularly around every March. One of the reasons he's so famous is because he drove the snakes out of Ireland, and was even credited with a miracle for this. What many people don't realize is that the serpent was actually a metaphor for the early Pagan faiths of Ireland. St. Patrick brought Christianity to the Emerald Isle, and did such a good job of it that he practically eliminated Paganism from the country.

Italy:

For the ancient Romans, the Feast of Cybele was a big deal every spring. Cybele was a mother goddess who was at the center of a Phrygian fertility cult, and eunuch priests performed mysterious rites in her honor. Her lover was Attis (who also happened to be her grandson), and her jealousy caused him to castrate and kill himself. His blood was the source of the first violets, and divine intervention allowed Attis to be resurrected by Cybele, with some help from Zeus. In some areas, there is still an annual celebration of Attis' rebirth and Cybele's power, called the Hilaria, observed from March 15 to March 28.

So if you want to get all up in the air about Ester, go ahead. Or merely point out to them, as I do with Christmas, that it is really based on a pagan mythology and not a Christian one. Let them have their celebration. Have one of your own.

Poison Tree

Quote from: "Atheon"Bill O'Reilly seems to think there is.

Writer posted a YouTube video
"marginalize[ing] Santa and the Easter Bunny [. . .] sets the stage for a totaly secular society in the future?" Since when are Santa and the Easter Bunny major religious players? Seems like, if anything, aiding Santa and the Easter Bunny in establishing complete monopolies of their respective holidays would do far more to bring about a secular future.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

GurrenLagann

Just wait guys. Fox News is saving that one, just in case non-theists manage to score some kind of "win" somewhere.
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

AxisMundi

Quote from: "Poison Tree"I recently stumbled upon a column by Tina Dupuy with that title. While her writing is so-so in my opinion, I do think the topic is an interesting one.

I'd argue that Christmas is (and has been for a long time) primarily a secular holiday, but there is a lot of kicking and screaming about it from religious conservatives. Easter, with the resurrection--supposedly the focus of Christianity; take that baby Jesus--and the passover/Exodus, appears to be even more secularized than Christmas. Yet almost no one bothers to complain about it. Go to mass at sun rise (unlikely), watch the ten commandments at night (maybe), but make damn certain to gorge yourself on pagan symbol sweets in between.

Could Tina be correct: it's all about the money. Putting Christ back in Christmas equals selling more gifts,  but taking the pagan out of Easter hurts candy sales.   :-k

IMHO, a lot of the "War" on Xmas has to do with the placement of religious symbology on public property. Xtians seem to require that our g'ment vindicate and justify their religion by placing their manger scenes, crosses, etc. on g'ment property. As well as having our g'ment endorse and support their religion too.

The whole "This is a Christian Nation" fantasy.

WitchSabrina

Cause Easter has Ham and eggs. No one messes with chocolate bunnies, honey.  *shrugs*
yeah........basically we just don't care enough to complain.  Plus......... not every inch of my street is decorated at easter like it is at Christmas.  
might be that  [-o<
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

WitchSabrina

By the way... there IS no War on Christmas.  Fox News made that  crap up off the top of their wee heads.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

billhilly

I've been trying to gear up for a war on Easter but you guys are making it hard with all you gun banning. I'm having to rearm all the troops with pointy sticks now and it's taking time....

St Giordano Bruno

There is a war of soughts going on the the Easter Bunny here is Aus to eradicate those pesky rabbits from Australia and making our native endangered "bilby" the symbol here
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

kilodelta

Quote from: "Atheon"Bill O'Reilly seems to think there is.

Writer posted a YouTube video

How can Bill claim that they won the war on Christmas? Last year's Battle of the North Pole was a massacre. There was reindeer and elf blood covering every square inch of ice. Santa's toy factory was ablaze and the Secular Flag was hoisted on the actual North Pole. We even sowed salt in the glaciers. Bill seems to ignore anything that is the truth. I'm literally angry with rage. Was that killing spree for nothing but good times and reindeer steaks?! I say NO! We freaking won the war... until next Christmas.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

caseagainstfaith

Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

AllPurposeAtheist

If Santa is just really 'Godlite' for kids the Easter Bunny must be Dead Guy on a sticklite..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.