News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Now just wait a minute

Started by aitm, March 24, 2013, 02:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

#6 might explain the lack of aliens. Party on, dudes.

_Xenu_

Quote from: "aitm"Have you seen this:  http://msnvideo.msn.com/?channelindex=1 ... c6a5aee1a4

Especially no 8. What?
Im a bit skeptical on that one...
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

mnmelt

=D>  I F--ing LOVE Science..!!!   =D>
Jesus loves me but I still make him wear a condom

Sal1981

A tad skeptical of the object that travels 4x faster than speed of light.

GurrenLagann

Erg, can anyone find it on the Tubes please? :-(
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Plu

Here it is on youtube:
[youtube:n89l6nwl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUbQnHvXYEI[/youtube:n89l6nwl]

And here's an article on #8:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... alaxy.html

And a short explanation on why it appears to be moving faster than light:
QuoteYet it does seem to be moving – and fast: its apparent sideways velocity is four times the speed of light. Such apparent "superluminal" motion has been seen before in high-speed jets of material squirted out by some black holes. The stuff in these jets is moving towards us at a slight angle and travelling at a fair fraction of the speed of light, and the effects of relativity produce a kind of optical illusion that makes the motion appear superluminal.

Sounds like the movie is just trying to excite people by leaving out some critical information.

WitchSabrina

<---- shooting straight for #4.  A girl's best friend and all that jazz.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Solitary

I have seen it before, but I'd like to know how such knowledge came to be known---I'm skeptical about most of it.

There are many events in the universe with which we have no causal contact than events in which we do. And we cannot specify whether any of those events occurred in the absolute past or future since another observer might disagree.  :wink:  Bill
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

daddattack

What is the speed of light, really?
I mean, other than a guessed estimate, it shouldn't be a set number. There actually shouldn't be a limit....

From the vast knowledge that I received in the Astornomy 101 and 103 classes that I took a few years ago ( :yawinkle: ) I know that it works as an assumed constant for solving problems with distance and whatever... But I mean, photons are weightless, right? What limits their velocity? There are some particles and things that they will encounter in space, acting upon them to slow them down... But is it actually a limit, or just a pretty good guesstimation?

I'm seriously asking. Not trying to be a douche.

Colanth

Photons "have" zero rest mass.  (This is a mathematical trick, to enable physicists to use some formulas on photons.  Since a photon can't be brought to zero speed, it can't have a rest mass.)  Accelerating a photon still increases its mass, though.  If we could apply "nine nines" of infinite energy to a photon, we might find that it moves faster than c.  Or we might not.  SR isn't the last word in physics, only one of the latest words.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Solitary

A photon at rest has no mass (energy), but has energy (mass) from moving at the speed of light . However, anything that has rest mass or energy would take infinite energy input to make it go faster than light. That is why nothing material, has mass, can go faster than light. As for time, it is relative and can go forward or backwards depending on the observer. If time stops for an object at the speed of light for an observer, what speed does time go for something standing still to an observer? The speed of light.  :shock:   :rolleyes:  Bill
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Colanth"Accelerating a photon still increases its mass, though.  

No.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "aitm"Have you seen this:  http://msnvideo.msn.com/?channelindex=1 ... c6a5aee1a4

Especially no 8. What?

The speed they're referring to is how fast the galaxy is moving, but in reality, it's how fast space-time is expanding. So it's a bit misleading.

Colanth

Space more than 14.7 billion years from us is expanding faster than the speed of light, relative to us - which is why we can't see it.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.