News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Really mad at myself

Started by Mermaid, March 24, 2013, 12:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDevoutPasta

Quote from: "Mermaid"I would really love to know if my fellow atheists are offended by the words "Merry Christmas" and by songs played by radio stations that are about God.
Nah merry christmas is fine with me, its in good spirit. For songs i don't care if it occasionally mentions a religious theme if the song is good but if it's based on a religious ideal i find it very annoying.
"The criticism of the atrocities inherent to religion is an undeniable prerequisite of societal progress."

Mermaid

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"I'm fucking pissed off that I don't have anything to be pissed off about.. Fuck! :evil:
:lol:
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

Quote from: "TheDevoutPasta"
Quote from: "Mermaid"I would really love to know if my fellow atheists are offended by the words "Merry Christmas" and by songs played by radio stations that are about God.
Nah merry christmas is fine with me, its in good spirit. For songs i don't care if it occasionally mentions a religious theme if the song is good but if it's based on a religious ideal i find it very annoying.
Well that is what bugs me. They are accusing all non-Christians of being offended by things like "Merry Christmas".

It makes me MENTAL when someone tells me what I feel. I'll get over it I spose.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "Mermaid"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"I'm fucking pissed off that I don't have anything to be pissed off about.. Fuck! :evil:
:lol:
Happy smilies generally piss me off, but you're cute enough to get away with it. Just don't tell your big, ugly husband I said that. :shock:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Sal1981

I don't listen to radio, except what's playing at the office, and I haven't watched TV regularly for a decade.

Now, it baffles me the amount of stupid shit people gobble down that comes on TV. It's mindnumbingly stupid.

StupidWiz

If I had a dime for every time I was pissed off because of some ignorant twat's religious post or bigotry on FB, I would've been rich by now.  :lol:  :-D
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

mykcob4

Quote from: "Mermaid"and I am not even sure why.

A high school friend of mine posted something like this on her Facebook page:

"This song (attached is a religious song) was banned from radio stations because it has the word God in it. I am sick of all this PC crap. Anyone who does this and wants to suppress the word of God can go to hell".
The story turned out to be a falesehood: It was not banned from radio stations, it was banned from one public school's music program.

I wrote that I do not understand why people feel that they can't express themselves, and that it's silly that it's so common to think that non-Christians are trying to keep Christians down. Like when people are so defensive about "Merry Christmas" That song being banned from public schools was appropriate. She argued that we non-Christians were trying to get the word "God" off of money and a few other things. I pointed out that our constitution contains clear language on the separation of church and state, something this very country was founded on.

Are any of you fellow atheists offended when someone says "Merry Christmas"? I'm not. It pissed me off when someone asserts that I am. So I spoke up.

That was the end of that. Fuck her, she's a dumb twat anyway. It just pisses me off that it still bothers me though, and I keep wishing I had just not spoken up.
So called "PC" is just respecting others. This nation is SECULAR and was intended to be that way, therefore no government institution should be able to endorse any one religion, because doing so is a statement against free thought and free will.
As for expressing onesself. If the government had an employee that posted on their desk a sign that read 'all white people are born criminals', their would be an outcry for that person to be terminated even though that person was "expressing themself"! It all depends on how one expresses themself, where they do so and how it is done.
"Merry christmas" pisses me off when impressionable little children are forced to say it in a public school as a requirement of some sort. That is nothing more than brainwashing and to an extent child molesting!

GurrenLagann

Nope. Never bugged me. Not when there's other shit going in in the *country* I'm from, Texas. (;

I feel sorry for the kids in our public educational system.
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

NonXNonExX

When people say Merry Xmas to me i always reply with, "Yeah, whatever" and let it go at that. But i do get tired of Xmas music everywhere you go for the month or so leading up to the holiday. If it were Irish music leading up to St. Pat's Day i wouldn't mind at all.

The reasons Xtians feel persecuted is because they've had their way (unjustly) for so long. And everyone knows that religion in general is fading fast in developed Western countries. A century from now people will wonder what all the fuss was about.

I wouldn't mind children being required to say "Merry Xmas" or some other religious BS in school as long as they also carried out a counter-exercise like writing the name of Jesus (Moh, Buddha, Moses, Krishna, etc.) on a piece of paper and stomping on it. I case you hadn't heard, there was a big uproar among conservative religulous nutters over this very issue.
Confident in the goodness of the Truth, Christians of all people should be the most open to honest inquiry and generous intellectual dialogue. They should not be defensive or desperate; they should be even more committed to seeking and serving the Truth than the professors are.
Timothy Dalrymple, Xtian blogger

Recently discovered Xtian principle: I\'m OK, you may be OK, and they are definitely not OK.

WitchSabrina

Mermaid - it pisses you off because you have common sense and common decency.  And you're old enough to remember 20 yrs ago when PCism was just starting a foot-hold. Before that this so-called Christian nation was everywhere you turned.  Then non-Christians began wanting to NOT have xtianity shoved down their throats at every turn and separation of church and state came under review (once again).  Every tiny bit of geography(for lack of better term) claimed by ANY other facet of society than rabid xtians is only geography they can't claim; don't own and in that small facet of humanity lies their weakness. What? A non-Christian?? omg    It's their fear that makes them feel persecuted and threatened.  Not you.  Not me.  Not any other human that might fall in the unbelieving category.  They do it to themselves.

No......... everyday normal folk are not threatened by the words "merry christmas".  We take it as a sign of good will or good wishes and nothing more.  We're not threatened by such things nor unnerved by them.

You're pissed at stupidity and someone being threatened by something that doesn't exist.  As well you should be.  Because it's stupid.  

This little surge of "take our country back"  aka 'America is a Christian Nation' is nothing more than a political ploy and a way to generate fear.  That became a trick phrase of the Sarah Palins of the world......fodder for the mentally dependent  to be lead by the nose with fear.  That same ol fear which has held the mind and hearts of many captive from rational thought for how many centuries?  Yes........... if you weren't pissed off at such lame-ass thinking I'd guess twice about you.  As usual in the smarts and common sense department - you do not disappoint.

=D>

It's good you're pissed at stupid.  Always be pissed at stupid.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

widdershins

It really has nothing to do with us whatsoever.  They're not threatened by us.  They're threatened by the idea of us.  I remember when I was a christotard I knew that atheists were godless, scary, spiteful, unhappy, vile little beings similar in many ways to Smeagol from Lord of the Rings and nobody could tell me otherwise.  I meet Christians every day who hold that same belief, but like me very much.  I do work for churches and pastors recommend me to others.  It's not me who offends them.  It's the imaginary me they made up.  Now THAT guy is a dick!
This sentence is a lie...

BarkAtTheMoon

Nope. I think the whole thing started not with atheists, but businesses being PC to be inclusive of Jewish and other religions who have December holidays, saying "Happy Holidays" to include Christmas, Hanakah, New Year's, et al, then butthurt idiot loudmouth pundits starting a giant butthurt clusterfuck for not giving their (target audience's) beliefs clear top billing to further their own agenda, aka to fill airtime, boost ratings, and/or publicity. From there, it's easy to just blame the whole thing on godless atheists and anyone else who might be a political rival.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

AllPurposeAtheist

We should level at least one city or at least unleash hungry lions on a few Christians at christmas so they have some semblance of reality.. THIS IS PERSECUTION MUTHERFUCKERS!
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

hillbillyatheist

I say "merry christmas" I celebrate christmas. and I love christmas music. so none of that offends me.

That said, I do get tired of whiney people on both sides crying because somebody said happy holidays instead of merry christmas, or somebody said merry christmas instead of happy holidays.
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

BarkAtTheMoon

Quote from: "hillbillyatheist"That said, I do get tired of whiney people on both sides crying because somebody said happy holidays instead of merry christmas, or somebody said merry christmas instead of happy holidays.
True. To me, they're interchangable.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard