News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Batman Vs Superman

Started by SGOS, March 15, 2016, 10:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

The movie isn't getting as good reviews as they hoped.  I just watched Angry Joe express some pretty extreme displeasure with it, and that guy wears a S on his chest every video.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice

SGOS

The first half hour, I didn't understand what was happening, but gradually, interspersed with a bunch of action, I began to understand the thrust of the plot.  But only the thrust.  I never clearly understood things like motive, or the background for the apparent animosity, or maybe it wasn't convincing enough for me to care.  Perhaps seeing the DVD with captions will shed more light.  It's also possible that the director blew his entire budget on special effects and had no money left to hire someone to write the script.  Stunning visuals were a bit overdone sometimes, as it was much like watching a Transformers movie.  Like the first Superman of this reboot (which I liked a lot), the destruction was impressive.

drunkenshoe

As far as I understand they tried to create some 'epic' feeling to the movie by some sort suspension of strong emotions (As SGOS said, animosity) in the first part. I agree with SGOS that sometimes it wasn't convincing enough, because they left it only to visuals which are stunning by the way in anyway. The reason for that imo, you cannot just load people with that much of a specific feeling just by visual description. Esp. characters recognised by everyone watching that movie. You need simple different details; dialogues that put different turning points to the same old story...etc.

[spoiler]I was expecting some easy simpler action right from the beginning. It comes much later. Instead there is a long period of preparation, building and getting angry, some actions scenes feel like dropped after a few moves without being completed...that could be because of the imbbalance of superman and batman. After all it is never a win for the bat. So you can't just match them several times just like that.

-Ben Affleck didn't poke me in the eye as I expected, probably because he is pictured as an old Batman. Don't expect the usual playboy here.

-Eisenberg is a good Luthor, but this is a good young Luthor if he can develop it later in the sequals. His work has that purposeful rookie feeling which fits. He is inexperienced and sounds like a bit like joker than the genius, reserved mad Luthor. He is talking like an evil nerd. But that has a place in the plot actually, because to me they changed Luthor and played on that.

-I thought I would right out reject WonderWoman, I have no background with her. But she physically fits imo. Her thighs were very important as I think with all female superheros with traditional combat skills and that is OK done. But she is a brief tool in the end. An introduction.

-Superman is superman. I didn't see or dedect anything different or changed. May be he got over humans a bit.

Script is based on questioning Superman's role, him being a very powerful alien; a godlike creature among humans. He 'brings' a war to the planet, thousands of people die and suffer afterwards and his harm gets confirmed by another act at the beginning. He decides do something and people die. So he becomes a global issue. And this gets tied to Batman, Luthor and others building their anger and animosity with different ways and that makes the rest. But they changed one thing according to me.

Lex Luthor. Lex Luthor is a classic genius villain. His desire is world domination. His beef with Superman is that he stops him every time. Old story. But here in Superman vs Batman, Lex Luthor seems a bit to much obssessed with Superman himself being a super man from the beginning instead of developping that obssession because of Superman stopping him all the time. He is a bit like Joker in his hatred of the world and feels like his main problem is Kal-el defying God being Kal-el. At least in his ramblings. Batman is not that much of a problem for him being a human and all, but the alien is.

I think they are either trying to make a series that would be a movie by itself when finished or trying a different beginning-development-end style than usual.

So this movie looks like highly visual scenes attached together rather than a one simple plot flowing down in scenes. But may be because my expectations were so simple and low, I didn't get bored and enjoyed it. It's kind of a movie that could grow on you with sequals.[/spoiler]

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Shiranu

I enjoyed the movie more than I expected. It is at it's core an introduction to the Justice League series that DC are going to start producing.

Pros and Cons...

[spoiler]Pros: Wonder Woman has been my favorite since the old animated Justice League (more or less tied with the John Stewart Green Lantern), and I really enjoyed this portrayal of her. She is a bad ass. I never got this, "OMG, she needs to be 6' 11'' and built like John Cena or she is not a TRUE Wonderwoman!"... she gets her strength from comic book magic at not actual muscles; the original Wonder Woman could bench 15,000, so why don't you go complain about her setting an unrealistic standard... because last I checked, you could not look like a human and lift hat much weight.
-Honestly, the whole "god vs man" dilemma was great. I loved the moral conflict of the story, it almost felt like a homage to the old mythological tales, which is what comics should be.
-Ben Affleck was solid. I liked his portrayal of Batman and thought it had a good tone to it. Definitely gave a more "broken" and dark vibe then I felt Christian Bale's did. I could believe that BA's Batman was a guy who is doing what he does purely out of force of will, anger and regret. He really struggles internally and I love that. Christian Bale's in comparison, as much as I like his portrayal, feels a bit more generic good guy.
-Superman didn't feel "too" OP, and as he get's his ass kicked by Batman... the moral of the fight is struck home. It's not about killing a god, it's about showing him that no matter what he does we can make him bleed and we can hurt him. He may be able to kill us in a second, but we will still do everything in our power to fuck him up. And that's great imo.
-There were some pretty damn dark scenes in the movie, and I liked it.
-Lex was a perfect villain. I don't think he was a perfect Lex Luther, but he was a great villain.
-The Doomsday fight is solid.

Cons-The pacing felt a bit off at times, and a bit too jumpy.
-The BvS fight itself seemed less like a boxing match and more of, "I hit you. You hit me. I hit you. You hit me.". I felt it could have been done a bit better in when Superman is getting his strength back, the fight being even followed by him kicking ass again followed by another trap from BM. Instead it felt like each scene in the fight was always one guy or the other had the upper hand.
-Batman gave Superman too many chances.
-How is Superman recharging? He is in a coffin where no sunlight is getting to him. Why didn't they just leave his body in the sun, or shoot it in a rocket towards the sun, or something?
-Where is my gawt damn Green Lantern or Hawkgirl?[/spoiler]

The main take away from it for me is I really am looking forward to the Wonder Woman movie now.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Bluewind

I'm waiting until it comes out on Redbox myself, but I doubt any director's vision of those two could be as awesome as the pair from HISHE. The skits with the two of them sitting in a diner drinking coffee are pure gold! XD
There is beauty in a finite life.

Blackleaf

Haven't seen it, and don't plan to. The first trailer had me hyped, but the second one killed it for me. They gave away the entire plot and made it clear that Batman's motivation for fighting with Superman was weak. And then Doomsday appears at the end, which told me exactly how it would end. Big bad guy shows up, Batman and Superman have to work together. Although the rest may be obvious, I'll hide it for spoilers anyway:

[spoiler]I knew that Superman was going to die for two reasons: The original movie's Jesus imagery and the role of Doomsday in the comics as the one who kills Superman. So SuperJesus died for our sins to save us. But of course, he's not gone for good. He'll be back, resurrected, in the next movie.[/spoiler]

This movie rushed into things way too fast. They're trying to imitate Marvel's cinematic universe without taking the time to build up their characters. Fortunately for us, we have Marvel's version of superhero warfare to show us what Batman v. Superman should have been.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

I've never really seen any appeal in mark millers writing, he gets praise for his work, but often I just find his work a complete blowhard thing of hyperactive masculinity with no real character depth. Thats why I never really thought much of the comic this movie based itself on.

But to throw in doomsday at the end, whos death of superman story arch was its own unique story, it just downplays doomsday as a throw away character, and when this was meant to be the start of the justice league you know full well they'd bring superman back for when that forms after all the other JL movie cast show up.

this movie, on top of everything else, tried way to hard at craming everything in, i imagine the director jumping in his seat "DO YOU LIKE IT, DO YOU LIKE IT YET, IT NEEDS MORE COOL, IT NEEDS MORE GRITTY SCENES, IT NEEDS MORE ATTITUDE, PLEASE, LOVE ME, I NEED SOMEONE TO LOVE ME!!"
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Bluewind

HISHE for the win yall! I think they fixed it. Why? BECAUSE HE'S BATMAN! XD
https://youtu.be/pTuyfQ5CR4Q
There is beauty in a finite life.