News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

how can I get out of going to "meetings"?

Started by yoyobeerman, March 16, 2013, 05:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yoyobeerman

I am an atheist but my family does not know. They are johovas witnesses and I do not want them to know. They have these people called CO's that visit from other congregations and give "talks". I guess that my sisters where talking to him about me, and he has requested my presence.I have no way of declining without telling them I am an atheist. Can you give some suggestions on how NOT to go?

Brian37

Quote from: "yoyobeerman"I am an atheist but my family does not know. They are johovas witnesses and I do not want them to know. They have these people called CO's that visit from other congregations and give "talks". I guess that my sisters where talking to him about me, and he has requested my presence.I have no way of declining without telling them I am an atheist. Can you give some suggestions on how NOT to go?

How old are you? Because if you are living under their roof, the best thing to do is to put up with it, save your money, stay in school, and when you are 18 you can leave. Other than that find ways you can get online and vent when it gets to you.

We hear stories like this all the time. Ultimately we cant tell you what to do. But if you are under age, you cant afford to be on your own and without good grades and an education you wont be able to get a decent job. At least we are here when you need to talk.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

kilodelta

I can't think of any permenant solutions.

We have a few former JWs on this site. Hopefully they can help.

In the mean time... perhaps you'll come down with strep throat or the flu so that you don't have have to go.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

yoyobeerman

Quote from: "kilodelta"I can't think of any permenant solutions.

In the mean time... perhaps you'll come down with strep throat or the flu so that you don't have have to go.
I would but I just got better from being sick and everybody knows I am better. I would make myself throw up, but I hate doing that more than I hate the meetings.

Davka

Sleeper

You know what might be fun? Say all the things you're supposed to say, listen, be respectful, but think about what you would say if you were free to say anything. Think about how you would counter their arguments, or why you disbelieve what they're saying. Maybe consider it your first debate with a theist, except the part of Yoyobeerman will be played inside your head.
Because LaPlace still holds sway.

AllPurposeAtheist

You could try the obvious and tell them they're full of shit then hope for the best. I don't want to toss you in the fire, but sometimes in life we have to jump from the frying pan into the fire to get away from it all.
It comes down to you and if you have what it takes to weather this storm. Now I sound like a cheap motivational poster..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

baddogma

Depends on your age. If they will shun you, better keep it in the closet until you are able to take care of yourself.
"The only way you can be certain that there are good people in the world is to BE one".
-My mother

Morality is doing what is right, no matter what you are told.
Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right.

NitzWalsh

I've spent some time hanging out with Jehovah's Witnesses. If you're unable to live on your own, keep your secrets. If they are serious about their crap they will kick you out and only talk to you once a year if you're lucky.

An elder in one of the congregations I spent some time with had a son who had been disfellowshipped for some reason and the father would only talk to him once a year or if there was a family emergency.

It's a horrid organization full of bullshit and hypocrisy.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

kilodelta

Quote from: "yoyobeerman"
Quote from: "kilodelta"I can't think of any permenant solutions.

I would but I just got better from being sick and everybody knows I am better. I would make myself throw up, but I hate doing that more than I hate the meetings.

It could give you a few breaks here and there... not a permenant solution. When you're off on your own and supporting yourself, your options are much better.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

yoyobeerman

Quote from: "NitzWalsh"I've spent some time hanging out with Jehovah's Witnesses. If you're unable to live on your own, keep your secrets. If they are serious about their crap they will kick you out and only talk to you once a year if you're lucky.

An elder in one of the congregations I spent some time with had a son who had been disfellowshipped for some reason and the father would only talk to him once a year or if there was a family emergency.

It's a horrid organization full of bullshit and hypocrisy.
You got that right. The main reason that I hate it so much is because every time I am "forced" to go, (I say forced because there is an elder who is a family friend invites us over and I have to go to the meetings, and if I declined the invitation my family gets there panties in a bunch, and is all like, "What's wrong with Dan???" And everybody gets all offended.) Anyway every body asks if I'll be coming back on Tuesday, or Sunday, and I hate to lie even to JW's.

jonnytexas

just grin and bear it, and you will have your own life soon enough.. Perhaps you can think to yourself that you will be the last in the chain for your future family, as you will end the cycle of brainwashing for your descendants.  That mike make it bearable for the time you have to put up with it.  Good Luck
You mean all I have to do is say "sorry God" and all is forgiven?....I\'m gonna have some fun then

JI_Joe

save your monies, wait for high school to end then move out. If they want to throw a fit then there is really nothing they can leagally do. Just don't leave any thing at their houses because its probably not coming back to you. You will be looked at like satan him self just rolled up on them or some thing.  ohh well, I have x-tian family my.  They think I am crazy wanting to live in town with city utilities like trash and sewer services provided no fuss on my end.  but they also think the only real way to warm a house is by burning wood inside the house.  The insurance people don't like these people at all!!! I bet all the "savings" they get from burning wood are burned on insurance for those houses. ehhh but they are immune to reason so what can a guy do? :-k  :roll:  :popcorn: