News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Chicago Trump Rally Cancelled

Started by chill98, March 11, 2016, 09:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Trump incites people, both his supporters and protestors.  This is not just a Trump thing.  Rush Limbaugh has the same effect on people and has been doing this sort of thing for years.  It's part of today's politics and has become a political strategy.  Trump is just better at it than the other Republican candidates, who for obvious reasons, would like to discredit his strategy as being bad for the country.

Mermaid

This is not some sort of censorship. It's outraged Americans standing up for the country and taking a stand against egregious bigotry and fearmongering. I consider this to be a sign of hope.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Baruch

It isn't censorship, it is intimidation.  This is why Presidential candidates at a certain point, get Secret Service protection.  Until then, you have to hire your own security.  Obviously this situation is too big for his security detail to handle.

But it takes two to tango ... I think that Hillary and Bernie should be picketed by violent protestors too.  This is like the last days of the Roman Republic.  Assassination of candidates is next.  I am surprised how many here believe that "the end justifies the means".

I can't comment, not being European, but it is odd that the Europeans are so anti-Trump in a hysterical way.  This is just another election, and the Americans will pull another turd out of our ass, like we always do ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on March 12, 2016, 09:12:36 AM
It isn't censorship, it is intimidation.  This is why Presidential candidates at a certain point, get Secret Service protection.  Until then, you have to hire your own security.  Obviously this situation is too big for his security detail to handle.

But it takes two to tango ... I think that Hillary and Bernie should be picketed by violent protestors too.  This is like the last days of the Roman Republic.  Assassination of candidates is next.  I am surprised how many here believe that "the end justifies the means".

I can't comment, not being European, but it is odd that the Europeans are so anti-Trump in a hysterical way.  This is just another election, and the Americans will pull another turd out of our ass, like we always do ;-)

I often wonder if a functional democracy is outlined by just a thin line that society chooses to work within.  It's not a particular worry I have about Trump.  It's something that I've wondered about for a few years.  I see a parallel here to Nazi Germany in its beginnings, and I've been wondering about that parallel as I've watched politics become more irrational in recent years.  I always hope it will be contained, but I sense there is a balloon of rage that is on the verge of bursting.  It feels to me like a collective insanity.  There is no single particular cause for the rage.  It's more like a general frustration from losing control of our lives, our government, and our political system.  Our leaders feed on it, and ocean of despair and scapegoats they can point to.  That's why they don't fix it, and are even willing to make it worse.

chill98

Quote from: Shiranu on March 11, 2016, 10:46:50 PM
No, but if you read what I actually wrote I said that hate mongerers should not be given limelight; what do the KKK, Phelps and Donald share? They are hate mongerers. Only a Red Herring if you w

Racism against 34.6 million Americans.
Its not racism to expect immigrants to follow the laws and rules for immigration.
Its not racism to recognize illegal immigration allows criminals to enter this country with the intent to continue their criminal activities.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/07/the-problem-with-downplaying-immigrant-crime/399905/

QuoteCalling for anyone who doesn't worship like him to be banned from entering the country and that the ones here are likely violent terrorists in waiting.

Now your just making shit up.  No where in that video does Trump proclaim anything about worship.  And he's doesn't say banned, he says 'shut down UNTIL we need to get a handle on what the hell is going on'.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/donald-j.-trump-statement-on-preventing-muslim-immigration

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/the-worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-beliefs-about-sharia/

http://www.centerforsecuritypolicy.org/2015/06/23/nationwide-poll-of-us-muslims-shows-thousands-support-shariah-jihad/

The Pew poll was multi-country.  The CSP poll was USA.  Comparing the two, it does not seem to be widely different in results.

Sharia Law (which is exactly what Trump was talking about) is the equivalent of many things I oppose.  Womens rights, religious discrimination,  freedom of speech, etc.   

And I stopped watching the videos.  Late and tired.

QuoteYeah. Not a hate mongering man who is preaching racism and committing war crimes. Glad I actually listened to his words rather than reading his words, really changed my opinion on him. Seems like a standup guy.

Except he ISNT preaching racism.  You are just making that up.

As far as the war crimes, well... for my own red herring:

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/obama-torture-hands-arent-entirely-clean

Now to remove the red-herring part as best I can.  Obama promised a lot of things regarding Torture, Gitmo, etc before he got into office.  And he changed his m.o. after getting through the oath to defend the constitution.   Is that because he became better informed now that he was in the loop with security briefings?  That its possible its worse than he thought as he campaigned under his Hope and Change banners?  That his vision was unrealistic given all the factors beyond his control and his choices were narrowed just a bit due to the reality of the situation?

And I watched the videos of Obama bombing terrorist hideouts, with their civilian casualties.  Bigger picture?  Terrorists do use children/family to hide, counting on our pledges to abide by rules of engagement.  The battle field has shifted and sometimes these incidents are not 'war crimes'.

The point being I think Obama was telling the truth on what he hoped to do while campaigning.  Then he found out that it was worse than he thought. 

But none of this is relevant to the fact that the political process was interrupted by people who have the same right to vote for someone else.  But that's not good enough, rather they must disrupt/infringe upon Trump supporters right to hear their candidate speak.

The hypocrisy is relevant.  You know Damned well the outrage you would feel if a Clinton or Sanders political rally was disrupted, even cancelled due to safety concerns for the candidate because a bunch of born-again rednecks interrupted 'we the peoples' right to hear their candidate of choice speak to them.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: SGOS on March 12, 2016, 09:38:43 AM
I often wonder if a functional democracy is outlined by just a thin line that society chooses to work within.  It's not a particular worry I have about Trump.  It's something that I've wondered about for a few years.  I see a parallel here to Nazi Germany in it's beginnings, and I've been wondering about that parallel as I've watched politics become more irrational in recent years.  I always hope it will be contained, but I sense there is a balloon of rage that is on the verge of bursting.  It feels to me like a collective insanity.  There is no single particular cause for the rage.  It's more like a general frustration from losing control of our lives, our government, and our political system.  Our leaders feed on it, and ocean of despair and scapegoats they can point to.  That's why they don't fix it, and are even willing to make it worse.

History shows that democracies are short-lived. The US was able to pull it off for that a long while mainly because the founding fathers had come up with a formula to avoid such short-lived states with the idea of separating the different powers of the state into the executive, the legislative and the judiciary. But two hundred years of wear and tear, and just looking at the present state of affairs, we see these separations have been eroded - all three branches have been corrupted to the core by those who hold the money bag. The only way to escape this erosion is to go back to the ff and their original intentions, but there are no present leaders up to that task.

Only the Democrats offer a slim hope if they win and are prepared to repeal certain court decisions, especially Citizens United vs. Federal Election Commission. Howerver if they nominate Sanders, that slim hope goes off the rails.

chill98

Quote from: Mermaid on March 12, 2016, 08:47:20 AM
This is not some sort of censorship. It's outraged Americans standing up for the country and taking a stand against egregious bigotry and fearmongering. I consider this to be a sign of hope.
You would not be saying its a sign of hope if Hillary rally's were shut down.  These things work both ways in a free country.

Mermaid

Quote from: chill98 on March 12, 2016, 10:06:58 AM
You would not be saying its a sign of hope if Hillary rally's were shut down.  These things work both ways in a free country.

Hillary isn't saying that Mexicans are rapists and criminals.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Mermaid on March 12, 2016, 10:15:49 AM
You can't de-platform people just because you disagree with them; even if what they say is monstrous. That's how free speech works.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mermaid

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on March 12, 2016, 10:19:21 AM
You can't de-platform people just because you disagree with them; even if what they say is monstrous. That's how free speech works.
I in no way advocate removing anyone's right to free speech. The protesters showing up at the Trump rally are a really good example of exercise of the right to free speech. I fully support free speech, no matter how much I disagree with the speakers. This was not an example of repression of free speech. It was people speaking out against something they disagree with.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Mermaid on March 12, 2016, 10:33:25 AM
I in no way advocate removing anyone's right to free speech. The protesters showing up at the Trump rally are a really good example of exercise of the right to free speech. I fully support free speech, no matter how much I disagree with the speakers. This was not an example of repression of free speech. It was people speaking out against something they disagree with.
The rally was cancelled due to concerns about safety. Somehow I don't think "speaking out" is all these people were doing.

Mermaid

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on March 12, 2016, 10:37:17 AM
The rally was cancelled due to concerns about safety. Somehow I don't think "speaking out" is all these people were doing.
Nobody's right to free speech was violated here.

chill98

Quote from: Mermaid on March 12, 2016, 10:15:49 AM
sorry but LoL

Hillary lies All The Time.  This link is fun.  Lots of links to other clinton whoppers on the side:

http://nypost.com/2015/11/28/hillary-clintons-million-little-lies/

Are you saying no illegal mexican/latino immigrants are rapists or other type of criminal (beyond being illegally in the country)?

No, of course you are not. 

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Mermaid on March 12, 2016, 10:39:42 AM
And abortion protesters who bar entry to clinics aren't violating anyone's right to their own body. I mean, they're just preventing you from safely doing something that's perfectly legal. Nope, no violation of rights here.

chill98

Quote from: Mermaid on March 12, 2016, 10:39:42 AM
Yes it was. 

The Trump rally was cancelled due to safety concerns via the protesters.  People who do not support a candidate and are taking matters into their own hands rather than democratically attending their primaries and voting during elections.

They do not have to support Trump.  The state caucus is the proper place to set election agendas.  The protesters do not like Trumps platform and with intent, decided to disrupt peoples right to hear their candidate of choice; celebrating the fact that the democratic process was interrupted.

It is a shameful reflection on Chicago.