News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Chicago Trump Rally Cancelled

Started by chill98, March 11, 2016, 09:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauricio

Mermaid

Mauricio, have you ever taken a debate class? You might want to do that if you have any hope of engaging in a productive conversation with another human being. Unless you don't care, then carry on!
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

mauricio

Quote from: Mermaid on March 18, 2016, 07:46:40 AM
Mauricio, have you ever taken a debate class? You might want to do that if you have any hope of engaging in a productive conversation with another human being. Unless you don't care, then carry on!

And You might want to try to engage the actual points being dicussed that's useful for conversation. What is not useful is bringing up random things like freedom of speech in response to a post which did not mention or imply anything about it.

You imply i don't have any hope of engaging in productive conversation when i have had decent conversations in very controversial topics in this forum. Some of them ended up much better than others but most people at least attempt to engage my points even if there's misunderstandings along the way or things get heated. Meanwhile our first debate/discussion interaction i remember since i came back to this forum after a very long break some months ago. Was you dismissing my clearly explained and sourced, with pictures and all so you didn't even had to download the sources, criticism of the RAINN page on sexual assault stats, because "there is something wrong with you". The only thing you had to say at the evident flaws of that page was a personal attack. And by personal attack i do not mean insults. But rather the uncharitable act of trying to discredit the speaker rather than engage his arguments. Which you have done again later. And you repeat it here again, implying that my tone and debate skills makes it impossible for you to engage such a simple point. Clearly the problem is not on my end, my argument is well articulated: "you characterization of the anti-trump protests in illinois as a sign of hope is ridiculous, here is why and some video to illustrate the point " And im perfectly able and willing to continue on with the dialogue. The problem seems to me, from our multiple failed engagements, that you are simply unable or unwilling to deal with me challenging and mocking your views. Which speaks more about you, specially when my criticisms were on your statements and positions and your responses were criticisms on my quality as a person and my abilities, as if that somehow furthers the dialogue. You know rather than being passive agressive with the implications you can simply respond by engaging my actual point and ask for me to tone down the aggravating rhetoric and i would happily do so, as i already did in my second response to you on this thread and on this one, but only if you stop the evasion and the personal attacks. Since conversation is a give and take.

AllPurposeAtheist

Something I've been saying for some time now... Conservatives who oppose trump may have no choice but to support the democratic nominee be it Clinton or Sanders because they damned sure don't have anyone else and Trump may well split the party badly..
Who can stop Trump? Republicans may have little choice but to vote Clinton

http://gu.com/p/4hknn?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on March 18, 2016, 11:52:34 PM
Something I've been saying for some time now... Conservatives who oppose trump may have no choice but to support the democratic nominee be it Clinton or Sanders because they damned sure don't have anyone else and Trump may well split the party badly..
Who can stop Trump? Republicans may have little choice but to vote Clinton

http://gu.com/p/4hknn?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Not surprising, Bill, Barak and Hillary are Republicans.  And Democrats are former racists, who tried MJ and liked it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

Quote from: mauricio on March 18, 2016, 08:17:39 PM
And You might want to try to engage the actual points being dicussed that's useful for conversation. What is not useful is bringing up random things like freedom of speech in response to a post which did not mention or imply anything about it.

You imply i don't have any hope of engaging in productive conversation when i have had decent conversations in very controversial topics in this forum. Some of them ended up much better than others but most people at least attempt to engage my points even if there's misunderstandings along the way or things get heated. Meanwhile our first debate/discussion interaction i remember since i came back to this forum after a very long break some months ago. Was you dismissing my clearly explained and sourced, with pictures and all so you didn't even had to download the sources, criticism of the RAINN page on sexual assault stats, because "there is something wrong with you". The only thing you had to say at the evident flaws of that page was a personal attack. And by personal attack i do not mean insults. But rather the uncharitable act of trying to discredit the speaker rather than engage his arguments. Which you have done again later. And you repeat it here again, implying that my tone and debate skills makes it impossible for you to engage such a simple point. Clearly the problem is not on my end, my argument is well articulated: "you characterization of the anti-trump protests in illinois as a sign of hope is ridiculous, here is why and some video to illustrate the point " And im perfectly able and willing to continue on with the dialogue. The problem seems to me, from our multiple failed engagements, that you are simply unable or unwilling to deal with me challenging and mocking your views. Which speaks more about you, specially when my criticisms were on your statements and positions and your responses were criticisms on my quality as a person and my abilities, as if that somehow furthers the dialogue. You know rather than being passive agressive with the implications you can simply respond by engaging my actual point and ask for me to tone down the aggravating rhetoric and i would happily do so, as i already did in my second response to you on this thread and on this one, but only if you stop the evasion and the personal attacks. Since conversation is a give and take.
Your immediate use of angry, condescending strawman arguments cause me to prefer eating roadkill to taking anything you say seriously or engagint you in meaningful conversation. You can take that or leave it, I have nothing invested. Just giving you a glimpse in how at least one other person perceives you.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

mauricio

Quote from: Mermaid on March 19, 2016, 09:36:29 AM
Your immediate use of angry, condescending strawman arguments cause me to prefer eating roadkill to taking anything you say seriously or engagint you in meaningful conversation. You can take that or leave it, I have nothing invested. Just giving you a glimpse in how at least one other person perceives you.

Since we are apparently gonna discuss ourselves as usual rather than the actual disagreement (funny this only ever happens with you and shoe)In the same vein then i will offer you more perspective. You talk about anger. Not there. You are just projecting those emotions onto me when they are probably just in your reading of the text. This would be plainly obvious if we were talking in person. Honestly i dunno how you survive in the real world if a criticism with some snark can get you into that mindset. Stop taking shit so seriously. I mean what are you even doing in this forum? Here people discuss controversial topics with no tone policing. Almost a lot of posters in this forum argue with some level of snark when they have a strong disagreement. I mean holy shit people here treat theists as utter retards. But i guess that's ok because it is not directed at you. BTW your accusation of strawman is hillarious it is clear that you say you thought the cancellation of the trump rally due to protests where violence broke out in mutiple instances and it was all mainly shouting matches as somehow being a sign of hope i found that to be stupid and explained why. Then you comeback with a random response about freedom of speech which i had not really talked about? How exactly i'm strawmaning you?

drunkenshoe

Quote from: mauricio on March 19, 2016, 03:18:41 PM
(funny this only ever happens with you and shoe)

Mermaid and I are very two different posters. We have different opinions on many subjects. And if you are getting similar reactions from two different posters, that's because of your own attitude, kiddo. You are not sharing an idea or having a conversation, you are attacking readily defined 'opponents' who you know to be female and feminists, doesn't matter what is the subject or their opinions. And you are not speaking to male members or anyone you are not aware their gender is female in the same style. You see yourself entitled to attack me and her in a specific style, because we call ourselves feminists. But you are not even aware of it, because you are a silly kid who thinks he is figured everything out without a clue of real life. Yeah well that's what happens when you live with a life vision created by a fragment of social media.

You are not discussing controversial subjects or expressing an original idea, you babble mainstream nonsense bitterly and angrily and PROJECT your bullshit on me and her at every opportunity. Because that is your window to life. 'Oh look, a couple of feminists. I know what they think.' That simple, cheap and limited. Most of the time you don't even know about the concepts you throw around.

It's not up to you to question anyone's place in this forum. Esp. a poster who has been a contributing member here for years.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

mauricio

Quote from: drunkenshoe on March 19, 2016, 04:08:14 PM
Mermaid and I are very two different posters. We have different opinions on many subjects. And if you are getting similar reactions from two different posters, that's because of your own attitude, kiddo. You are not sharing an idea or having a conversation, you are attacking readily defined 'opponents' who you know to be female and feminists, doesn't matter what is the subject or their opinions. And you are not speaking to male members or anyone you are not aware their gender is female in the same style. You see yourself entitled to attack me and her in a specific style, because we call ourselves feminists. But you are not even aware of it, because you are a silly kid who thinks he is figured everything out without a clue of real life. Yeah well that's what happens when you live with a life vision created by a fragment of social media.

You are not discussing controversial subjects or expressing an original idea, you babble mainstream nonsense bitterly and angrily and PROJECT your bullshit on me and her at every opportunity. Because that is your window to life. 'Oh look, a couple of feminists. I know what they think.' That simple, cheap and limited. Most of the time you don't even know about the concepts you throw around.

It's not up to you to question anyone's place in this forum. Esp. a poster who has been a contributing member here for years.

So do you find the protesting, the rhetoric and  violence that went down in illinois as a sign of hope or not ?

Oh wait you were just here to prove my point with your meaningless attempts at mind reading and character attacks. Ok thanks.

drunkenshoe

Could care less about hyped up American fantasy of freedom of speech or what you think of it. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

mauricio

Quote from: drunkenshoe on March 19, 2016, 04:31:10 PM
Could care less about hyped up American fantasy of freedom of speech or what you think of it. 

Lol is this joke? When exactly did i made any point about freedom of speech. I think you need to read and understand my point before responding.

Unbeliever

Here's what one of my favorite people had to say about politics:

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman