Egypt drafts bill to ban burqa and Islamic veils in public places

Started by pr126, March 10, 2016, 12:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

Egypt drafts bill to ban burqa and Islamic veils in public places
QuoteMP Amna Nosseir, professor of comparative jurisprudence at Al-Azhar University, who has backed the ban, said that wearing the veil is not a requirement of Islam and in fact has non-Islamic origins. She has argued that it is a Jewish tradition which appeared in the Arabian Peninsula prior to Islam and that a variety of Quran passages contradict its use. Instead, she has advocated that the Quran calls for modest clothing and covered hair, but does not require facial covering.
That’s why you see so many Jewish women wearing face veils.

Shiranu

Bitches about lack of Muslims promoting getting with the times.
Bitches when a Muslim promotes getting with the times.

Righty-o then.

Edit: Also no legitimate news agencies reporting something that is kinda of a big deal that would make international headlines. Interesting...

3 outta 3. Your on a roll.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Egypt is a tiny bit liberal ... but the clerics will slap it down.  The Islamic jurists of Al Azhar are notably erratic and regressive.  Even Turkey has gone backward on modernism in women's clothing (I would think that Ataturk's model for laicity was French).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on March 10, 2016, 07:08:37 AM
Egypt is a tiny bit liberal ... but the clerics will slap it down.  The Islamic jurists of Al Azhar are notably erratic and regressive.  Even Turkey has gone backward on modernism in women's clothing (I would think that Ataturk's model for laicity was French).

very much like islamic countries themselves, according to photos dating back some decades.

.. this kind of depressed me actually :(
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Most people are status-quo ... they find revolutions depressing if not frightening.  What happened in Turkey in the 1920s and in other ME places, was progressive.  What happened in Iran in the 1970s and in other ME places, was regressive ... but revolutionary in both cases.  The latter being counter-revolutionary.  And that is what is what has been happening in the US since 1980 ... Fabian counter-revolution by the Republicans.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.