Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your awesome pictures here!!!

Started by Hijiri Byakuren, March 08, 2016, 11:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 20, 2019, 05:32:01 PM
Is that Mt. Fuji?

They should call volcanoes "the mother of Earth," since that's where all the land comes from.
Siberian traps.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 20, 2019, 05:32:01 PM
Is that Mt. Fuji?

They should call volcanoes "the mother of Earth," since that's where all the land comes from.
I believe so, yes.  At least, that's what's listed on the photo travelogue with that image.

Gawdzilla Sama

BTW, most land didn't come from volcanoes. The lighter rock floated on the heavier rock. That the Reader's Digest version.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Really, any screenshot from this game.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Are the kami on his side or is he screwed?
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 20, 2019, 09:01:18 PM
BTW, most land didn't come from volcanoes. The lighter rock floated on the heavier rock. That the Reader's Digest version.
Back in those days the whole Earth was one big volcano!  LOL
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 21, 2019, 01:15:14 PM
Back in those days the whole Earth was one big volcano!  LOL
Thea was the last time for that, IIRC. She was a bit of a blow.
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 21, 2019, 06:47:23 AM
Are the kami on his side or is he screwed?

A little bit of both, from as far as I've gotten in the game.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

From five years ago, this was the first sword crafted by Masamune discovered in over 150 years, and was forged around 700 years ago.

Unfortunately following WW2, the Americans stripped the Japanese nobility of their armouries, so many swords that were passed down for hundreds of years have been lost. When you consider the quality of steel Masamune was working with, it's even more impressive how the quality of his swords was higher than that of Chinese and European blacksmiths.

(And this isn't a, "OmG, KaTaNa BeSt SwOrD eVeR!" post. It's just an amazingly well made sword from a master craftsman.)

It's a shame Europeans tended to be buried with their swords, because some of the artifacts we have found... if the swords were still in good condition, they would be absolutely stunning as well.

Gawdzilla Sama

When I was stationed in Japan I was briefed on how to buy a sword. Took me six months but I got the one I wanted at a good price. (The store had a "no Americans" sign in the window.)
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on October 22, 2019, 07:02:44 PM

From five years ago, this was the first sword crafted by Masamune discovered in over 150 years, and was forged around 700 years ago.

Unfortunately following WW2, the Americans stripped the Japanese nobility of their armouries, so many swords that were passed down for hundreds of years have been lost. When you consider the quality of steel Masamune was working with, it's even more impressive how the quality of his swords was higher than that of Chinese and European blacksmiths.

(And this isn't a, "OmG, KaTaNa BeSt SwOrD eVeR!" post. It's just an amazingly well made sword from a master craftsman.)

1024 layers from 10 foldings of the steel billet.

It's a shame Europeans tended to be buried with their swords, because some of the artifacts we have found... if the swords were still in good condition, they would be absolutely stunning as well.

In my former sword collection, one old tanto and one WW II katana.  The Japanese developed better swords to deal with the two attempted Mongol invasions of Kyushu.  The best European swords were Damascus blades (probably developed from Indian steel technology).  So gotten by trade or Crusade plunder.  It takes a lot of patience to fold good steel.  And a lot of prisoners to test the edge ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoLzMZn-xvg
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Watched that live while I was in Japan. Very cool to watch.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 23, 2019, 06:24:03 AM
Watched that live while I was in Japan. Very cool to watch.

10 folds to make 1024 layers in the steel.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 23, 2019, 08:02:26 AM
I watched my sword being made.

Old world craftsmanship.  There is no Progress to replace this.  Progress gives you little umbrellas in your cocktails, not sake.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.