News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your awesome pictures here!!!

Started by Hijiri Byakuren, March 08, 2016, 11:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Old story, better king in Hell than slave in Heaven.

Of course, that is a false dichotomy in many ways.

Reality, with or without a G-d, is amoral ... hence monstrous.

As far as "lake of fire" goes, it has been baked in, literally, since 1945.  Enjoy your wiener roast as best you can.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

pr126

See the Glorious Winners of the 2018 Astronomy Photographer of the Year Contest
QuoteThe top prize winner, American photographer Brad Goldpaint, received £10,000 for his stunning photo, “Transport the Soul.” Winners of the subcategories collected £1,500 for their efforts.
Not much prize money, considering the price of professional cameras and accessories today.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

I really miss Carl Sagan. We could use his wisdom right now.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 03, 2018, 01:45:55 PM
I really miss Carl Sagan. We could use his wisdom right now.

His books and videos are available.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Yeah, it would be nice if they become known and loved by the great unwashed masses.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 03, 2018, 01:50:41 PM
Yeah, it would be nice if they become known and loved by the great unwashed masses.

The original Cosmos was pretty popular.  Did you expect everyone to become an atheist (as he was) just because of that?  The breadth and scope of Cosmos was impressive.  But pop science has been done that way since the Victorian era (yes, they had public lectures in science for the masses back then).  Probably my favorite episode was the Samurai Crabs.

Bronowski was impressive too.  But I got to see Sagan in person, at a conference on Mars exploration in Boulder CO.  And I was a charter member of the Planetary Society.  That was several lives ago.  Naturalism isn't wrong, just incomplete without humanism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on November 10, 2018, 12:43:40 PM
Oh it is a bra size.
Yeah, for Chris. Mark is going to need something a wee bit larger.
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on November 03, 2018, 07:40:29 PM
The original Cosmos was pretty popular.

Sagan is the same man to hundreds of millions of people around the world as he is to a certain generation of Americans. Do you know anyone of the sort who is not a pop, rock singer or an athelete?     

QuoteDid you expect everyone to become an atheist (as he was) just because of that?

Why would anyone expect anything of the sort? Cosmos is not propaganda material. It's about learning. Teaching people to ask questions to begin with. Considering your age, you should know that if you had traveled in time to ask that very question to people, they would have looked at you as if you have grown a second head.

Making people atheists with documentaries, lol. By popular science. In early 80s. What are you making? An omlette? :) There wasn't an understanding of the sort then. It's an anachronistic look. It's just a documentary series. Besides, as far as I know Sagan never identified himself as an atheist, because that would be claiming something absolute. Which he wouldn't do. So wouldn't influence anyone that way either. 

QuoteNaturalism isn't wrong, just incomplete without humanism.

Well, Sagan managed that pretty good. His successor is doing a good job about that too. Which series did you watch?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 10, 2018, 12:51:44 PM
Yeah, for Chris. Mark is going to need something a wee bit larger.

I dunno why I didn't get it. I think I couldn't recognise the JJ part.  :shocked: