Author Topic: Post your awesome pictures here!!!  (Read 39837 times)

Re: Post your awesome pictures here!!!
« Reply #555 on: September 15, 2018, 08:07:11 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Oh do I ever remember all the times Hobbes pounced Calvin at the front door, LOL!  And Susie.  And the babysitter.  And the snow goons...
Dad explaining how they determine the max weight allowed on bridges. (Calvin owes a lot to his dad.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #556 on: September 15, 2018, 10:06:55 AM »
Dad explaining how they determine the max weight allowed on bridges. (Calvin owes a lot to his dad.)

Yeah, "they just drive bigger trucks on them until the bridge collapses then build a new one".

I can't believe I forgot the Dadisms!  Those were some of my favorites.  "Old pictures were black and white because the world was black and white when he was young".  I wish I could remember more.  I could look them up in my books, but that would be cheating.

When I asked MY dad about stuff, I got straight answers "Why do balloons float?  When interior density is less than exterior density - Boyle's Law".  No wonder I read comic books as a kid.  But it worked out well.  Anyway, thanks for the Calvin&Hobbes stuff.  I spent almost 3 hours today reading about them and it sure brought back great memories.

ONE of these Winters, we will get enough packable snow for me to make a snow-snake eating me.  And completely unconnected, I still want to carve a 6' wood praying mantis to mount on the chimney.  With a motion-detector to make the head look at people...  LOL!

Feel free to offer more example of C&H...  I'll be reading.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Offline trdsf

« Reply #557 on: September 15, 2018, 10:07:07 AM »
Oh do I ever remember all the times Hobbes pounced Calvin at the front door, LOL!  And Susie.  And the babysitter.  And the snow goons...
Did someone say snow goons?

Next good snowfall, we want to form the yard snow into tentacles coming out of the basement windows.  I very much have the friends I deserve.  :D
Sir Terry Pratchett, on being told about the theory that the universe is a computer simulation: "If we all get out and in again, would it start to work properly this time?"

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #558 on: September 15, 2018, 10:10:02 AM »
Did someone say snow goons?

Next good snowfall, we want to form the yard snow into tentacles coming out of the basement windows.  I very much have the friends I deserve.  :D

Quick, hose them down!  In fact hose the whole yard solid icy!

« Reply #559 on: September 15, 2018, 10:37:05 AM »
Yeah, "they just drive bigger trucks on them until the bridge collapses then build a new one".

I can't believe I forgot the Dadisms!  Those were some of my favorites.  "Old pictures were black and white because the world was black and white when he was young".  I wish I could remember more.  I could look them up in my books, but that would be cheating.
"But they're color pictures of black and white scenes!"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Offline trdsf

« Reply #560 on: September 15, 2018, 10:45:47 AM »
Speaking of Calvin and Hobbes... there was a webcomic called 'Pants are Overrated' that did four C&H tribute strips in 2011 imagining Calvin grown up (sort of), married to Susie Derkins, and with a daughter.  And completely nailed it, thematically and stylistically.

Sir Terry Pratchett, on being told about the theory that the universe is a computer simulation: "If we all get out and in again, would it start to work properly this time?"

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #561 on: September 15, 2018, 11:12:49 AM »
Speaking of Calvin and Hobbes... there was a webcomic called 'Pants are Overrated' that did four C&H tribute strips in 2011 imagining Calvin grown up (sort of), married to Susie Derkins, and with a daughter.  And completely nailed it, thematically and stylistically.

WOW!  Thanks...  I don't actually even know what to say.

Just, thanks...  And after several minutes, I added the comma. 

Offline Munch

« Reply #562 on: September 15, 2018, 06:29:33 PM »
Ah Spaceman spiff.

Offline pr126

« Reply #563 on: September 16, 2018, 12:56:06 AM »
"Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their free will."
 - Joseph Goebbels

Offline Shiranu

« Reply #564 on: September 16, 2018, 01:51:04 AM »

That's... actually really badass looking.

Granted, Thanos wouldn't even flinch against those guys, but the photography of it is amazing.
“And, for an instant, she stared directly into those soft blue eyes and knew, with an instinctive mammalian certainty, that the exceedingly rich were no longer even remotely human.” - William Gibson, "Count Zero"

A si i-Dhúath ú-orthor. Ú or le a ú or nin.

Offline Munch

« Reply #565 on: September 16, 2018, 03:37:30 PM »

No deep meaning here. I just thought this was an awesome picture.. because the guy is extremely hot.

« Reply #566 on: September 16, 2018, 06:30:37 PM »
Here's a really beautiful fractal zoom, one of the best I've seen yet - and I've seen quite a few. Nice music, as well, I just wish it was longer, and went even deeper.

I'm waiting for Trump to say: "We could easily stop all the wildfires from happening just by removing all the oxygen from the atmosphere."

Offline Baruch

« Reply #567 on: September 16, 2018, 06:53:27 PM »
The presentation of Mandelbrot has gotten more and more interesting.  Though I thought the original point was "in set" or "out of set" ... so black & white.  I think the color schemes come about because of "speed of convergence/divergence" of the calculation over the 2 degrees of freedom.

Graphics show up just how complicated pseudo-random is ... anything you can calculate, even a fractal, is pseudo-random.  We can't even picture the truly random.
שלום

« Reply #568 on: September 16, 2018, 07:01:43 PM »
Even the set of prime numbers isn't truly random:

I'm waiting for Trump to say: "We could easily stop all the wildfires from happening just by removing all the oxygen from the atmosphere."

Offline Baruch

« Reply #569 on: September 16, 2018, 09:48:50 PM »
Even the set of prime numbers isn't truly random:

If they weren't pseudo-random, then we wouldn't even be able to calculate if a number was prime or not ;-)
שלום

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk