News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your awesome pictures here!!!

Started by Hijiri Byakuren, March 08, 2016, 11:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

nice. my mums gone over to something called stevia as a replacement for sugar in things. I still use demerara sugar in coffee sometimes, but I've not been baking anything sweet or sugary for last several months.
maybe might be a chance to try it out with baking.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

pr126

Xylitol Natural Sweetener

Xylitol is used exactly like sugar, looks like it, and used weight for weight as if it were sugar.

Mind, it is not cheap, but I do not bake often and make it as a treat from time to time.

My Hba1c is 47 - 48 in my yearly tests for the last 4 years.

Munch

Quote from: pr126 on July 20, 2018, 10:20:33 AM
Xylitol Natural Sweetener

Xylitol is used exactly like sugar, looks like it, and used weight for weight as if it were sugar.

Mind, it is not cheap, but I do not bake often and make it as a treat from time to time.

My Hba1c is 47 - 48 in my yearly tests for the last 4 years.

thats not to bad, a 1k bag for that much. I might get one and try baking with it/have it on cereal

I do still use a teaspoon on honey on my cereal and in my tea but this might work just as well

pr126

I have never used Xylitol other than baking.

I use Tesco's granulated sweetener in porridge (1 spoonful), done in the microwave (4 minutes)
Also 1 tablet of Tesco's sweetener in tea.  That's it.

Shiranu

I love the illusion of mountain peaks behind him.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Munch on July 20, 2018, 08:59:33 AM
I have to walk past a shop in town every time I'm there, called patisserie valerie.

This is what I see every time I walk past it.

I go into a diabetic coma just looking at it all..
*>sigh<*  I did not need to add a trip to Mozart's (local Austrian pastry bakery) to the things I wanted to do this weekend... oh well.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Munch

Quote from: pr126 on July 20, 2018, 10:54:50 AM
I have never used Xylitol other than baking.

I use Tesco's granulated sweetener in porridge (1 spoonful), done in the microwave (4 minutes)
Also 1 tablet of Tesco's sweetener in tea.  That's it.

I might look into it as an alternative.

However, I have my cynicism to these kind of things and for good reason. For about 12 years I was using canderel as my sugar substitute, on my cereal and in my tea, wasn't much of a baker back then so it only went into those things.
Thats when a lot of fear started up in health magazines and online at the dangers of what aspartame, an artificial non-saccharide sweetener, which was contained in canderel. When that broke a lot of people came off it, due to health fears of it causing cancer or causing dramatic weight gain.

I use Splenda tablets in my coffee when not using demerera sugar, but even that has some health risks if used to much in a single day, which i don't.

The cynical part of me think when reading how a sugar substitute is fine for diabetics, how its gonna reveal years down the line how long consumption of it has caused health risks or side effects. 

Gawdzilla Sama

I use sucralfate, never noticed any difference. Boss Lady used Stevia for a while, then moved on.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

I generally drink my coffee and tea with neither cream/milk nor sweetener.  At risk of sounding like the coffee snob that I kind of am, additives get in the way of the bean's subtleties.

When I do sweeten, it's sugar (white or demerera) or honey or agave.  When I can find it, I like to keep fructose on hand because it's the 'correct' sugar for fruit flavors, so I prefer it for lemon tea, blueberry tea, that sort of thing.

Every single one of the sugar substitutes (including stevia, though it's the least offensive of them) tastes like soap to me, and a couple of them are headache triggers.  Fortunately I haven't much of a sweet tooth, so my sugar intake isn't really that much to begin with.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Ever tried crushed blueberries in your coffee?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Now y'all can have something you've been yearning for your whole lives - mayonnaise flavored ice cream!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Munch

so just tried coffee with some stevia.

probably the worst sweet tasting thing I've ever tasted.

think i'll buy a smaller pack of Xylitol before I commit to it PR just incase it has the same result.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

The Pantheon in Rome was more impressive before the Christians and barbarians stripped it of its decorations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn2XdZfx93w

I love good reconstructions of ancient monuments ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aDhzQMIGCY ... mentions the Duomo ...

Best program on architecture ... ever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kCZeN6d1cA
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.