News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your awesome pictures here!!!

Started by Hijiri Byakuren, March 08, 2016, 11:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on May 09, 2018, 11:51:37 AM
I have NO IDEA what you are describing.  But the results are impressive...  Thank you.
Them there tree thingies, and that there grass stuff, them's supposed to be green. No iff'n ya push the spectrum up ya get the bug view of the world.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on May 09, 2018, 11:51:37 AM
I have NO IDEA what you are describing.  But the results are impressive...  Thank you.

Well, basically, the 680 nanometer filter is on the "bluer" end of the near-infrared and the 850nm filter is on the "redder" end, so all I did was take three identical images with different filters into my image processing software, reduce each to black and white, and then add them together as the red, green and blue color channels to create a false-color image -- keeping each in their same relative position along the spectrum (longest wavelength to red, shortest to blue).

It's more or less exactly the same thing NASA does to retrieve color images -- they launch B&W cameras, with a set of filters to choose from.  They select three images using different filters, and assemble them as RGB layers, and the order they get used has as much to do with aesthetics as it does science.  PBS has a good explanation of how, for example, Hubble's "Pillars of Creation" was assembled.  Only one of the original images was actually in the visible range (the green of doubly-ionized oxygen) -- the other two (hydrogen and ionized sulfur) were both in the infrared.

Side note: it's theorized that the Pillars are a ghost.  Spitzer revealed a supernova nearby to the Eagle Nebula that might have blown the Pillars apart 6,000 years ago, so at their distance of 7,000 light years, they'll only remain visible another millennium.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on May 09, 2018, 01:15:54 PM
Well, basically, the 680 nanometer filter is on the "bluer" end of the near-infrared and the 850nm filter is on the "redder" end, so all I did was take three identical images with different filters into my image processing software, reduce each to black and white, and then add them together as the red, green and blue color channels to create a false-color image -- keeping each in their same relative position along the spectrum (longest wavelength to red, shortest to blue).

It's more or less exactly the same thing NASA does to retrieve color images -- they launch B&W cameras, with a set of filters to choose from.  They select three images using different filters, and assemble them as RGB layers, and the order they get used has as much to do with aesthetics as it does science.  PBS has a good explanation of how, for example, Hubble's "Pillars of Creation" was assembled.  Only one of the original images was actually in the visible range (the green of doubly-ionized oxygen) -- the other two (hydrogen and ionized sulfur) were both in the infrared.

Side note: it's theorized that the Pillars are a ghost.  Spitzer revealed a supernova nearby to the Eagle Nebula that might have blown the Pillars apart 6,000 years ago, so at their distance of 7,000 light years, they'll only remain visible another millennium.

I appreciate all that.  And actually I DO understand the false color pictures, angstroms, light-shift, galactic lensing and how they are adjusted with hubble et al.

Its my digital camera settings I can't figure out, LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Munch

Follow the green mossy road, follow the green mossy road, follow follow follow follow, follow the green mossy road.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on May 09, 2018, 07:45:03 PM
Follow the green mossy road.
It's a dry dirt road.  After I changed the colors, I shopped the road out of the original photo into the altered photo so that one thing would look real.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on May 09, 2018, 08:48:47 PM
It's a dry dirt road.  After I changed the colors, I shopped the road out of the original photo into the altered photo so that one thing would look real.
And it works brilliantly (the sky was also left alone -- whether that was by design or not, I don't care, it works)!
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on May 10, 2018, 08:38:00 PM
And it works brilliantly (the sky was also left alone -- whether that was by design or not, I don't care, it works)!
Thanks.  I didn't fiddle with the sky.  What happened was not by design.  I've noticed when getting outrageous with colors,  I have no way of knowing what's going to work beforehand or what unintended consequence is going to turn up.  Some things work and others don't.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on May 10, 2018, 08:56:52 PM
Thanks.  I didn't fiddle with the sky.  What happened was not by design.  I've noticed when getting outrageous with colors,  I have no way of knowing what's going to work beforehand or what unintended consequence is going to turn up.  Some things work and others don't.
That's the whole point of playing around in the graphics manipulation program of your choice (I'm a GIMP man, m'self): to see what's in the image that wasn't immediately obvious to the lens and sensor.

Hydra009

“We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” - Hermann Hesse

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on May 10, 2018, 08:58:40 PM
That's the whole point of playing around in the graphics manipulation program of your choice (I'm a GIMP man, m'self): to see what's in the image that wasn't immediately obvious to the lens and sensor.
I use a 20 year old copy of Paint Shop Pro.  I bought it to "paint" the structures I create for Flight Sim scenery.  I also use it for resizing and cropping photos and doing other normal "dark room" tasks, like adding saturation to something that looks washed out.  I never thought about going wild with color until I noticed someone here doing it a couple of years back.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on May 10, 2018, 09:10:15 PM
I use a 20 year old copy of Paint Shop Pro.  I bought it to "paint" the structures I create for Flight Sim scenery.  I also use it for resizing and cropping photos and doing other normal "dark room" tasks, like adding saturation to something that looks washed out.  I never thought about going wild with color until I noticed someone here doing it a couple of years back.
Whatever tool works -- I used to use PSP, probably about 20 years ago, come to think of it.

I'm more a believer in "do what works" rather than "do it this way".  :D

Munch

straight up nudity not allowed. but sometimes a tasteful nude needs to be appreciated

[spoiler][/spoiler]

just really liked this one.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on May 20, 2018, 07:55:10 AM
straight up nudity not allowed. but sometimes a tasteful nude needs to be appreciated

[spoiler][/spoiler]

The other Cirque De Soliel
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Munch on May 20, 2018, 07:55:10 AM

I am reasonably sure I would not have been able to sufficiently concentrate on the camera settings to take that picture.  :wink: