News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your awesome pictures here!!!

Started by Hijiri Byakuren, March 08, 2016, 11:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emancipated

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 17, 2018, 04:10:48 PM
Just think-----Tasmen Donner's gold is still there!
It's probably buried right next to the poor souls who were eaten [emoji14]

Sent from my HiBook using Tapatalk

Mike Cl

Quote from: Emancipated on April 17, 2018, 04:20:49 PM
It's probably buried right next to the poor souls who were eaten [emoji14]

Sent from my HiBook using Tapatalk
No, those sites have been searched and searched again.  According to Keesberg, the man brought to trial for eating his fellow travelers, she did like to wander quite a bit--so it could be anywhere on the entire mt.  Do ya feel lucky???!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Emancipated

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 17, 2018, 05:29:50 PM
No, those sites have been searched and searched again.  According to Keesberg, the man brought to trial for eating his fellow travelers, she did like to wander quite a bit--so it could be anywhere on the entire mt.  Do ya feel lucky???!
I live about 40 miles from Donner Summit. Hang on a minute... I'm going to grab a shovel and check my backyard :)

Mike Cl

Quote from: Emancipated on April 17, 2018, 06:36:31 PM
I live about 40 miles from Donner Summit. Hang on a minute... I'm going to grab a shovel and check my backyard :)
The last 'rescue' party (it was not a rescue party, but a salvage party) that brought back Keesberg and a bunch of salvage, found some money, but not anywhere near all the gold that Tamsen Donner is supposed to have had.  She outlived her husband and was known to wander in the snow; hence, the rest of the gold must remain hidden.  So, get your shovel and map of the Donner path over the pass and come back rich!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

How much is that supposed to be worth in today's dollars? I wouldn't mind hiking around there, but only for the beauty of the natural surroundings, not for the possibility of finding someone else's gold.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 17, 2018, 07:40:57 PM
How much is that supposed to be worth in today's dollars? I wouldn't mind hiking around there, but only for the beauty of the natural surroundings, not for the possibility of finding someone else's gold.
I don't remember.  I know the Donner family sold everything they had and bought some wagons and supplies and the rest was turned into gold coins.  Some were found on the mt. but not nearly enough to account for all that they were supposed to have had.  But then, any amount of 1846 gold coins would be worth, well, a pretty-penny--right???

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 21, 2017, 01:45:18 PM
There are all kinds of amazing photos and illusions here:

Mind-boggling Illusions
I love this kind of stuff.

Edit:  I posted before I actually looked.  I didn't find illusions, at least not like the ones you posted earlier.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 17, 2018, 08:06:50 PM
I don't remember.  I know the Donner family sold everything they had and bought some wagons and supplies and the rest was turned into gold coins.  Some were found on the mt. but not nearly enough to account for all that they were supposed to have had.  But then, any amount of 1846 gold coins would be worth, well, a pretty-penny--right???
Depends on the rarity of the coins. My sister inherited 23 "double eagle" gold coins that appraised, in 1963, at just above their value as gold bullion.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 18, 2018, 06:18:33 AM
Depends on the rarity of the coins. My sister inherited 23 "double eagle" gold coins that appraised, in 1963, at just above their value as gold bullion.
That seems odd considering I've never seen a double eagle, I would think the collector value would be high, especially with all the gold hoarders and collectors.  I have owned Krugerrands and Canadian Maple Leafs which are basically only worth their value as bullion, but they are minting those continually.

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 18, 2018, 06:18:33 AM
They should appraise quite a bit higher than that now, especially if they're the St Gauden's Standing Liberty -- my perennial nominee for the most beautiful coin this country ever minted.  Remember that in 1963 the value of gold was fixed in this country, and gold ownership was controlled in the US under the Gold Reserve Act of 1933, which wasn't relaxed until 1964 and formally ended until 1975.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on April 18, 2018, 06:31:19 AM
That seems odd considering I've never seen a double eagle, I would think the collector value would be high, especially with all the gold hoarders and collectors.  I have owned Krugerrands and Canadian Maple Leafs which are basically only worth their value as bullion, but they are minting those continually.
And the US still mints quarter-, half-, full and double eagles as bullion (as well as in silver and platinum), but they were until 1933 circulating coins to one degree or another.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

This was more than fifty years ago, when there were still such yet to be found.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Many double Eagles and Eagles sell not much more than gold bullion coins, but yes, they have collector value anyway.  The reason is that the gold bullion market suppresses the sale price of all gold items (other than jewelry).  A good reason for suppression of gold price from the beginning, is the restrain of free market on jewelry (think the DeBeers monopoly).

Part of the reason why so many of these have survived, is they haven't been melted down.  Larger gold coins were always held by banks, not used by individuals.  There are still US gold coins in bank vaults around the world, as part of their gold reserve.  And these coins keep emerging decade after decade.  But there are dates and mints that are particularly rare.  Some issues always have been rare (the $3 gold piece) that they have long been counterfeited.

British Sovereigns were commonly held by banks, so they are usually plentiful and in good condition.  Half Sovereigns were circulated, produced in smaller quantities, and so are rare.  Because the gold Sovereign was so popular in the ME (thanks to the bribes put out by Laurence of Arabia) ... counterfeit Sovereigns were produced in Beirut Lebanon, and of good quality, because other good gold coins were unacceptable there, and so were melted down to produce a more acceptable form.

China puts out an incredible quantity of fake US coins, particular Morgan silver dollars.  These are of poor quality (not enough silver).  Chinese dynasties have fallen do to similar degrading in the past.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: SGOS on April 17, 2018, 08:45:15 PM
I love this kind of stuff.

Edit:  I posted before I actually looked.  I didn't find illusions, at least not like the ones you posted earlier.
Yeah, I see that now, it's not what I thought it was. Try this one, it's much better:

https://brightside.me/article/16-bewildering-and-beautiful-colour-illusions-that-will-easily-trick-your-brain-41705/
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman