The Venn Diagram of Irrational Nonsense

Started by Valigarmander, March 23, 2013, 01:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valigarmander

Johan

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Hydra009

Meh, I'd lump all the pseudomedicine (faith healing, homeopathy, psychic surgery) into pseuoscience.

Pseudo-scientists, pseudo-mystics,
Pseudo-psychics
It's all pseudo

stromboli

Saw it on reddit. Had a feeling it would wind up here.

GurrenLagann

Looooooooool at Scientology at the center. :rolling:
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Mermaid

I saw that on Facebook this morning. If I commented on it, it would appear in my newsfeed and would offend 3/4 of my Facebook friends so I couldn't. It's hilarious.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

_Xenu_

Quote from: "GurrenLagann"Looooooooool at Scientology at the center. :rolling:
LMAO.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Thought2Much

I think that there should be an entire section for Conspiracy Theory Bollocks. I see that "Moon Landing Denial" and "Chemtrails" are in there, but there are so many others, including 9/11 Truth, Reptiloids, HAARP, Illuminati/Bilderbergers/Skull & Bones, etc. And now, we even have Newtown Truthers, for crying out loud.
<insert witty text or image here>

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

AllPurposeAtheist

Well thank GOD the tooth fairy isn't included. :-k
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

leo

Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Mermaid

That's cause HE IS REAL, DAMMIT! And SO IS SANTA!
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

St Giordano Bruno

I am surprised the  Grand Daddy bollocks of them all "GOD" is not in it. You can't just play semantics with the trinity, that's three gods. I would have at least placed GOD in capital letters just above "miracles" in the religious bollocks set, or even dead center above Scientology perhaps. What an oversight!!
Found the link to that site here with a slightly different image. Reincarnation which was in twice has since been replaced by one of them with "exorcism"

Alien abductions is also a minor oversight not a serious an oversight as God but it would be a very overcrowded Venn Diagram if we tried to fit all the nonsenses in.
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

Smartmarzipan

Am I the only one who likes getting their back cracked at the chiropractor???
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

Hydra009

Quote from: "Smartmarzipan"Am I the only one who likes getting their back cracked at the chiropractor???
Probably.  Freaks me the hell out and doesn't seem terribly scientific.

[youtube:2yu3g62k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdV9bP2_0Mg[/youtube:2yu3g62k]

And I have a real problem with people who claim that manipulating the body can treat non-musculoskeletal conditions.  It's like buffing a car's hood and claiming that the engine will work better.