News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

This Is Science Bitches

Started by stromboli, March 05, 2016, 01:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfxB9nIvVZk

I have hunted deer in camo. Using scent hider, and if you sit perfectly still, animals will literally walk right past you. This camo is made with conductive material that also hides your electrical field. Pretty much the ultimate camo. I've known for a long time that animals can detect electrical fields- that is how mine hunting dogs in Cambodia locate the mines.

There is a video on the company website of a man crawling up on wild turkeys that is practically mind blowing.

http://www.hecsllc.com/

My "secret scent hider" was made from unscented talcum powder mixed with ground up "freeze dried" sage or pine. The talcum absorbs your odor and emits sage or pine odor. My invention. Worked pretty well.

Hydra009

All we need now is a personal invisibility field and we're all set to make Predator a reality.

stromboli

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 05, 2016, 01:23:38 PM

All we need now is a personal invisibility field and we're all set to make Predator a reality.

DARPA is working on it.

Gawdzilla Sama

They did produce a completely stealthy airplane.

But they can't find it.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 05, 2016, 03:27:21 PM
They did produce a completely stealthy airplane.

But they can't find it.

You cracked me. :lol:
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

stromboli

Working for the Air Force I've been up close to both of these birds and see them take off and land.  The SR-71 only takes off at night when not at its home field at Nellis; or so I was told. The Blackbird throws a jet pulse longer than the plane. On takeoff at night, you see the pulse trail behind it bend and turn vertical as it goes straight up. It can break the sound barrier in a vertical climb.There are only a few birds that can do that. Another is the F-15.

The Nighthawk is weird; because of the radar deflecting contours, when you stand close to it, it looks almost like an optical illusion. You don't get too close, because there is an Air Force Special Ops guy standing guard and they are roped off some distance from the plane. But they don't look like they can fly. coming for landing, they are virtually silent and against the mountain backdrop at Hill, almost invisible. Cool shit bro.

Baruch

I used to be an aerospace engineer in my youth.  The Nighthawk is closer to metastable rather than stable in flight given its shape.  Like balancing a broom handle on your finger.  Traditional aerodynamic design for a passenger jet tries to be maximally stable, to extend the glide path and buffer air turbulence.  Because of computer assisted flying (fly by wire electronics) the Nighthawk becomes manageable (the Space Shuttle being even less flyable without electronics ... it flies like a high speed brick).  The Blackbird is my favorite though, it looks like a hot rod, and it is a hot rod.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: stromboli on March 06, 2016, 07:47:13 AM

Working for the Air Force I've been up close to both of these birds and see them take off and land.  The SR-71 only takes off at night when not at its home field at Nellis; or so I was told. The Blackbird throws a jet pulse longer than the plane. On takeoff at night, you see the pulse trail behind it bend and turn vertical as it goes straight up. It can break the sound barrier in a vertical climb.There are only a few birds that can do that. Another is the F-15.

The Nighthawk is weird; because of the radar deflecting contours, when you stand close to it, it looks almost like an optical illusion. You don't get too close, because there is an Air Force Special Ops guy standing guard and they are roped off some distance from the plane. But they don't look like they can fly. coming for landing, they are virtually silent and against the mountain backdrop at Hill, almost invisible. Cool shit bro.
They used to fly those things around Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton Ohio before they were introduced to the public.  It was odd because at the time before people knew what they were people speculated they of course were aliens checking out the aliens folks claimed that the AF had hidden somewhere under Wright Patt as it's called in Dayton... Everyone should visit Dayton sometime and just hang out in the local taverns and listen to the conspiracy theories.. It's a huge facility that covers an area over 3 counties..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

The best part of working for the AF is that as an aircraft welder, my first job, our shop was close to the flight line. We had access to the flight line because we worked on birds still considered battle ready that had some problem, like a crack in the engine or some shit. It was easier to stuff a welder up the back end of a F-4 Phantom J-79 than to take it out ( I also got loaned into disassembly shop for six months and took them out. You'd be amazed how fast you can remove a 2,000 pound engine with a 4 man team; like half an hour). Also found a few dead Mongooses and other critters up in the wheel wells.

I welded on everything on an F-4 from front nose cells to the drag hook at the back (AF birds also use drag hooks like the Navy in case of landing strip over runs. Shit happens)

Seen a lot of birds, worked on a few. Seeing an F-15 take off on a cloudy day and watch it pull a vertical and punch a hole in a cloud is fucking awesome. Blackbirds at night throw a 40-50 foot long cone of fire. There is a "doppler" effect when they afterburn for some reason, but you can see pulses in the flame trails and that is mesmerizing. Saw the Space Shuttle mounted on the back of a C-5 flown in for our view. You don't realize how big that fucker is until you see it atop a C-5. I have walked through C-5s; big fucking bird.

Got to see a lot of shit. We worked on gatling gun housings, so the gun people let us watch a test of one. Holy shit. They put a belt in that only has a round every six links, just to test the action. It is fired in a soundproof chamber with massive steel doors. The air pressure from a 20 MM cannon makes the doors jump outward from the air pressure. Fucking amazing. It only runs like a three second burst- that's about 120 rounds. If you were in the same room with it, the blast of air pressure and noise could actually kill you, or so I was told.

I also worked on some Star Wars shit for Ronnie Reagan. Our shop built the carriage systems and the trailers for the missiles that were sent to Kwajalein island for testing. There are birds today still flying around with my work on them. Kinda proud about that.

trdsf

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on March 06, 2016, 09:41:00 AM
They used to fly those things around Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton Ohio before they were introduced to the public.  It was odd because at the time before people knew what they were people speculated they of course were aliens checking out the aliens folks claimed that the AF had hidden somewhere under Wright Patt as it's called in Dayton... Everyone should visit Dayton sometime and just hang out in the local taverns and listen to the conspiracy theories.. It's a huge facility that covers an area over 3 counties..
Seconded, thirded and fourthed.  I haven't been to the AF Museum in ages; it's very highly recommended.  The SR 71 they have on display looks fast even when it's not moving... and was actually a lot smaller than I thought it would be.  Alas, I've never gotten to see one in flight.

And straight up I-75 is the Neil Armstrong Museum in Wapakoneta.  Also very highly recommended.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan