How America Made Donald Trump Unstoppable

Started by mauricio, February 29, 2016, 07:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaEpsilon

Quote from: Johan on March 01, 2016, 01:05:56 AM
And yet, he is being taken seriously by a large portion of American citizens. Don't get me wrong, Donald Trump does not give a fuck about anything besides Donald Trump. But he is skilled in the art of tapping into the lowest common denominators of our population and saying the things that will get those folks fired up. And if those mindless minions want to elect him king, who the fuck is he to say no?

Here is what most people fail to realize. He has already won. He has already won because he has NOTHING to lose in this. If he wins the election, great. He gets to be king and do whatever the fuck he wants for a while on a scale that very few ever get to experience. And if things end up better because of it, he's a genius and things end up worse, its not his fault that [insert group] shot down his ideas. OTOH if he loses the election or drops out before, he goes back to being Donald Trump except with a shit ton more relatively cost-free exposure than he had 12 months ago. He has already won and he has nothing to lose.

If you ask me I'd say he'd be crazy to want to actually win because that would actually serve to limit his upward potential. Once you're president, that's kind of it for you. From then on you're just an ex-president and at best maybe you can do a book tour or two or build some low income houses on the cheap. He is worth far more losing the bid than he is winning it.

Yes. Donald Trump may be a horrible politician but he is a great salesman.
The fireworks in my head don't ever seem to stop

Mermaid

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on March 01, 2016, 06:12:17 AM
I'm just waiting for the Trumster 47% moment and I think it's coming. People might think he can say just anything he wants, but the media thrives on the 'gotcha' story. I like to think someone is just waiting for the right moment.  Too early and it will get buried, but right before election day and it can be fatal..
At this point, I doubt anything will kill him. He can murder a puppy on live television and he won't lose supporters. The KKK endorsed him and then he went to win a big state.

It's the most disturbing phenomenon.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Mermaid on March 01, 2016, 08:08:42 AM
At this point, I doubt anything will kill him. He can murder a puppy on live television and he won't lose supporters. The KKK endorsed him and then he went to win a big state.

It's the most disturbing phenomenon.

But notice how this was played out. During the interview, he claimed that he couldn't disavow if he didn't know which group the interviewer was referring to, insisting several times that the interviewer send him a list of those groups. But after the interview, he claimed that his ear piece was defective and he couldn't hear the question properly, and on his tweet, disavowed any group known to have done something wrong. The result of all this confusion is that this gets the front-page headlines the next day. The guy is manipulative, but he does it in a smart way that moves forward his agenda. I don't agree with his platform, I don't agree with his methods, but I can't help noticing that he is successful at what he is doing.

Mike Cl

Never, never underestimate the stupidity of the Stupid Fucking American who votes.  And never underestimate how many they are and how some politicians can just tape into them and get them to vote for them.  Trump is the master at using the lowest common denominator and use it well.  The Rep party as a whole is good at using them--Trump is a master at it.  And it has me concerned.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Fickle

Trumpelstiltskin may appear to weave BS into gold but we all know how this story is going to end...badly.

Mermaid

Quote from: josephpalazzo on March 01, 2016, 09:08:09 AM
But notice how this was played out. During the interview, he claimed that he couldn't disavow if he didn't know which group the interviewer was referring to, insisting several times that the interviewer send him a list of those groups. But after the interview, he claimed that his ear piece was defective and he couldn't hear the question properly, and on his tweet, disavowed any group known to have done something wrong. The result of all this confusion is that this gets the front-page headlines the next day. The guy is manipulative, but he does it in a smart way that moves forward his agenda. I don't agree with his platform, I don't agree with his methods, but I can't help noticing that he is successful at what he is doing.

Absolutely terrifying. Is this the man we want handing delicate diplomatic situations?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

Quote from: Fickle on March 01, 2016, 09:32:26 AM
Trumpelstiltskin may appear to weave BS into gold but we all know how this story is going to end...badly.

I know I would like it to, but at this point, I am not so sure he will not be able to beat Clinton in the general election. I am really not so sure.

aitm

I have been preaching for the last 15 years that the only way "we the people" can get a chance to get a little bit of control back into our hands is to stop voting for Republicans and Democrats. Trump is neither. I tell folks "ignore" your wish list and go with whoever is least controlled by the system. By god Trump is not controlled. I may have to take my own advice and hope if he gets elected it throws a nice fat wrench into our political system and maybe a third party will rise that will represent the midstream majority. I'm kinda enjoying the train wreck from the sideline. Eventually we may get pulled into the wreck, but until it makes good fun.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Fickle

QuoteI'm kinda enjoying the train wreck from the sideline. Eventually we may get pulled into the wreck, but until it makes good fun.

It is unavoidable that real change cannot be invoked without real change. Sometimes a little finesse works, sometimes we need to throw a monkey wrench into the machinery. Trump has both the monkey and wrench scenario's covered...who knows.

Clinton is just another marionette and not a very entertaining one at that. She is like watching paint dry.

TomFoolery

After Super Tuesday, I think it's officially become apparent that Donald Trump could beat a blind orphan to death with a Bible that he set on fire, wrap the corpse in an American flag and masturbate on it, then toss it in a dumpster and still more and more people would vote for him because, "At least he's honest! Besides, that kid was an immigrant anyway. And the Bible wasn't a King James Bible, so it wasn't really the Bible, and he saved taxpayers the expense of a pinewood box."
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 01, 2016, 09:16:14 AM
Never, never underestimate the stupidity of the Stupid Fucking American who votes.  And never underestimate how many they are and how some politicians can just tape into them and get them to vote for them.  Trump is the master at using the lowest common denominator and use it well.  The Rep party as a whole is good at using them--Trump is a master at it.  And it has me concerned.

I think you might be right.  He may be very good at manipulating, but just to play Devil's advocate, it's possible his antics are just natural and off the cuff, as they seem to be much the way he has always behaved publicly in the past.  It just might be that his natural buffoonishness, belligerence, and "Fuck You" offensive attitude is simply something many people naturally relate to, identify in themselves, and find appealing.  In other words, he's just a naturally perfect fit with many Americans.  Does he have handlers and advisors, or is who we see, exactly who he is?  I don't know.

GSOgymrat

Trump isn't the first rich guy to run for office. But he is the first to realize the weakness in the system, which is that the watchdogs in the political media can't resist a car wreck. The more he insults the press, the more they cover him: He's pulling 33 times as much coverage on the major networks as his next-closest GOP competitor, and twice as much as Hillary.

Trump found the flaw in the American Death Star. It doesn't know how to turn the cameras off, even when it's filming its own demise.

Good line.

Gerard

Gerard

The media are highly hyperpoliticized. Some more than others but still.... People don't watch news anymore, they just watch what they feel comfortable hearing and get annoyed when they hear and see stuff that doesn't fit their ideology. Ideological isolation. Also, Gerrymandering has created safe seats for especially Republican politicians. That creates a class of politicians whose only fear is a challenge from within from someone even more ideologically strung up. Politicians like that tend to radicalize and become arrogant. "Seek consensus? Who me? Middle ground? Do I have to take into account that the executive branch is led by another party than mine? Of course not! We are the righteous defenders of the good cause and all the others are bad!" So what happens is an inert do nothing congress that is incapable of avoiding their work to be vetoed and a GOP that can only parade a few substandard politicians as their candidates for the Presidency. No wonder the GOP grassroots are angry and vote for Trump. The GOP gets what it deserves. Did you see Jeffrey Lords yesterday on CNN making himself ridiculous about the KKK and it's ideological leaning? You have sunk deeply if you seriously mean what he said there. But beware, this is not just a GOP or right wing problem!!

Gerard

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Mermaid on March 01, 2016, 09:46:17 AM
Absolutely terrifying. Is this the man we want handing delicate diplomatic situations?

Well, he's going to make a deal. And he'll have a bigger army to convince any of those people who are stealing our jobs he means business.