New study - universe older than thought

Started by Atheon, March 23, 2013, 05:40:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atheon

Instead of being about 13.7 billion years old, this new study indicates the universe is more like 13.8 billion years old.

http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/bre92k ... -universe/

This is why I love science: as more data comes in and more advanced analytical techniques are used, we are getting closer to knowing the truth.

I can just hear the fundies now: "See? Science keeps changing its mind! The BIBLE remains unchanged, and says the universe is 4015 and 5 months old!"
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

moog

This is why error bars are important.
WMAP pinned the age of the universe to 13.73 +/- 0.12 billion, while 13.82 is at the high end of that it was still within the margin of error.

The bit I found most interesting is that it confirmed that the universe is lopsided.

Edit:
There is a good in depth look at the results here :
http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang ... to-planck/

Brian37

New study out, invisible friends are as real as unicorns and Lex Luthor and Santa........Oh wait, silly me interjecting reality into life.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

SGOS

Quote from: "Atheon"Instead of being about 13.7 billion years old, this new study indicates the universe is more like 13.8 billion years old.
When dealing in billions, I would understand a number like 13.7 to be meant as an approximation.  Given how many times scientists have pushed back the age of the universe, and often times with much bigger leaps in percentage, this doesn't seem like much.  The last estimate I saw, just the other day, read something like, "Today, the scientific consensus estimates that the universe is 13.7 billion years old."  There are at least two or three qualifiers in that sentence that allow for new data to change our knowledge base.

I love the way science is open to new information and change.  I simply cannot in a million years understand why people cling to religious dogma that resists learning, growth, and the ability to process new information, and in addition treats such self imposed ignorance as something of great value that sets itself above rational exploration.

Jason78

Quote from: "moog"This is why error bars are important.
WMAP pinned the age of the universe to 13.73 +/- 0.12 billion, while 13.82 is at the high end of that it was still within the margin of error.

The bit I found most interesting is that it confirmed that the universe is lopsided.

Edit:

Nerdgasm!
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Atheon

Quote from: "SGOS"When dealing in billions, I would understand a number like 13.7 to be meant as an approximation.
Absolutely. And that's why scientists say things like "We think the universe is around 13.7 billion years old, given what we currently understand about it". Unlike people like Ray Comfort, who say, filled with the sin of pride, "I KNOOOOW god exists."
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

leo

Quote from: "Atheon"Instead of being about 13.7 billion years old, this new study indicates the universe is more like 13.8 billion years old.

http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/bre92k ... -universe/

This is why I love science: as more data comes in and more advanced analytical techniques are used, we are getting closer to knowing the truth.

I can just hear the fundies now: "See? Science keeps changing its mind! The BIBLE remains unchanged, and says the universe is 4015 and 5 months old!"
Nice find .
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

stromboli

Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "moog"This is why error bars are important.

Edit:

Nerdgasm!

Ohhhh.....I'm feelin' it, yeah........ :rolleyes:

GurrenLagann

Dammit, now I have to say "13.8 Billion years old". Fuck it science, get your shit together and stop changing! ;)
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

SGOS

Quote from: "GurrenLagann"Dammit, now I have to say "13.8 Billion years old". Fuck it science, get your shit together and stop changing! ;)
Yeah, I liked the sound and feel of 13.7 better.  Thirteen point 8 sounds doesn't sound near as precise.  It's like some lazy fucker just rounded up to the next even number. :-D

Jutter

Does this mean that the big crunch is calculated to happen next week thursday after all?
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

aitm

13.7 requires an extra syllable....I'm lazy.... 13.8 it is.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust