News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Success at last

Started by PopeyesPappy, February 27, 2016, 08:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

I've been trying for a month to make a loaf of simple sourdough bread. It's just flour, water, salt and yeast. How hard can it be? Apparently pretty damn because it took me a dozen tries to get one to come out.

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

GreatLife

I am a baker myself... lived in San Francisco for ten years and learned how to make bread from a local.

Looks like a great loaf.

A hint... You should use a proofing basket in order to enhance the shape - very easy and produces a great loaf.

http://www.amazon.com/Round-Proofing-Basket-Banneton-Brotform/dp/B006WBMT0K

stromboli

I assume you are talking about making the starter, since you make that from yeast, flour and water. Never made it. Made my own yogurt for awhile- that is actually pretty easy.

PickelledEggs

Sourdough is so good. Love putting potato soup in it, or chowder.

PopeyesPappy

Yea I made it with a wild yeast starter that I began work on back around Christmas when it was in the 70's around here. I used an 8.5" Round Banneton basket for the second rise then cooked it in a dutch oven at 500 for 20 minutes with the lid on then at 425 for another 30. Moving from the basket to the preheated 500 degree pot was a bit problematic. Hopefully my technique will improve with practice.

Hijiri Byakuren

Still a better cook than me. I still manage to fuck up toast sometimes, and it's not like it requires a lot of human interaction to make.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: GreatLife on February 27, 2016, 08:28:59 PM
A hint... You should use a proofing basket in order to enhance the shape - very easy and produces a great loaf.

Do you use a liner in your basket? I don't have one but was thinking about ordering one.

PopeyesPappy

Ha! It's repeatable. Just pulled a second loaf from the oven.

aitm

For all you youngsters following this thread……yeah…..life does go from pussy to bread……deal with it.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mike Cl

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on February 27, 2016, 09:39:14 PM
Ha! It's repeatable. Just pulled a second loaf from the oven.

Slice that puppy up and pass the butter!  Or cut the center out and pour in the clam chowder!  That looks great!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

kilodelta

I'm glad you were able to rise to the occasion.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

GreatLife

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on February 27, 2016, 09:01:42 PM
Do you use a liner in your basket? I don't have one but was thinking about ordering one.

No, a liner came with the basket, but I never use it.  I believe that it tends to ruin the shape, IMO.

I just put a lot of flour in the basket and thrown the dough in for the second rise.  The flour will leave swirls all over the loaf - looks awesome.

Seriously though - keep at it.  You are well on your way.

AllPurposeAtheist

Pappy, pay close attention to your starter or sponge. Use it regularly and replentish it with fresh flour and water.  If it changes color on you to pink or blue or green toss it out and start over. A sour dough can become toxic quickly, but it's really just a matter of maintaining it and if properly maintained can last for many years. I had one going great for about a year, but kind of lost interest somewhere along the way and within a few days turned pink so I had to pitch it out.
If you can find an old copy (50 years or so) of the book, The Joy of Cooking there was a great chapter about sour dough and maintaining the sponge..  Not quite the same, but they still put out some helpful stuff..
http://www.thejoykitchen.com/ingredients-techniques/keeping-sourdough-starter-long-term

If you live in an old house where the humidity is right just a little flour and water can make a great sour dough sponge.  It'll literally pull the spores right out of the air you breathe.. No need for any other" starters" or yeasts.. Sometimes a bit of milk will help, but be careful you're not growing toxic spores.. It's really a lot like growing mushrooms..

You all also realize that when you eat leavened bread you're literally eating the farts of bacteria..just one of my many helpful household hints.. :lol:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

PopeyesPappy

Thanks, APA. I've been trying to take care of it because it was a bitch to get going. Probably the wrong time of year around here for that. I've got two batches going. One is in a mason jar. It is my backup sponge, and it stays in the fridge most of the time. I take it once a week to feed it. The other is what I've been using to cook. That gets fed twice a day unless it's in the fridge too. I've been taking it out of the fridge Thursday night. Feeding it twice on Friday. Then start cooking Saturday. I'm planning to try one more batch today so once I take out what I need I'll feed it one more time then back in the fridge. Hopefully it'll last...

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: GreatLife on February 28, 2016, 12:17:53 AM
No, a liner came with the basket, but I never use it.  I believe that it tends to ruin the shape, IMO.

I just put a lot of flour in the basket and thrown the dough in for the second rise.  The flour will leave swirls all over the loaf - looks awesome.

Seriously though - keep at it.  You are well on your way.

Tried it your way. This loaf is also all white flour. The first two were 20% whole wheat flour.