From Jim Beaver about the Trumps and evangelicals

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, February 27, 2016, 06:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

QuoteEvangelicals, before you give Mr. Trump another primary victory, just another reminder: "Ladies and gentlemen, the First Lady of the United States."

And before more people miss or dismiss my point in posting this, I add that I'm not shaming the estimable Mrs. Trump. She has every right to pose like this for public consumption, and I cast no aspersions on her for doing so. I don't think she's a slut or she should be ashamed of herself or that she deserves condemnation in any sense. She chose to put this photo out for public consumption and whether that's good or bad is none of my business, or anyone else's.

What I condemn is a self-righteous segment of the American right that thinks it's perfectly fine to slut-shame Michelle Obama for wearing a sleeveless blouse, yet is quite comfortable voting in evangelical fervor for a man who flaunts his and his wife's disregard for the very evangelical precepts for which those voters claim to stand. I condemn hypocrisy in the ceaseless cries attempting to shame our current president and his family for seven years for "lacking class" or their race or even their humanity by people who have no qualms against voting to put the Trumps in the White House, despite the Trumps standing in arrogant opposition to what evangelical Christians claim to stand for.

I don't slut-shame. I hope I never stop hypocrisy-shaming.

Nothing like cherry picking your first lady ladies and gentlemen..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

mauricio

Evangelicals have been dealt brutal blows this last decades. Their current candidate is cruz not trump from what i have seen. Many of the conservatives who vote for trump have already had enough of the evangelist uptight selfrighteousness and attempts of censorship. Many evangelicals probably find trump to be too rude and mean for their taste.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: mauricio on February 27, 2016, 06:42:14 PM
Evangelicals have been dealt brutal blows this last decades. Their current candidate is cruz not trump from what i have seen. Many of the conservatives who vote for trump have already had enough of the evangelist uptight selfrighteousness and attempts of censorship. Many evangelicals probably find trump to be too rude and mean for their taste.
Except he's been winning the evangelical vote,  not Cruz. Cruz only won in Iowa period and though everyone likes to think Iowa is the big one it's pretty much meaningless in the big picture. Cruz has already shown his true colors,  that of a total asswipe.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

mauricio

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on February 27, 2016, 07:00:07 PM
Except he's been winning the evangelical vote,  not Cruz. Cruz only won in Iowa period and though everyone likes to think Iowa is the big one it's pretty much meaningless in the big picture. Cruz has already shown his true colors,  that of a total asswipe.

Well i mean the subset of evangelicals who actually give a shit about obama's wife dressing habits. I do not picture them enjoying trump mocking that fox news reporter with a reference to her period. Or indirectly calling ted cruz a pussy. Most of the trump supporters i see relish on his offensiveness. Though of course i have a limited perspective. The supporters i have read and talked to seem young and do not like the older stablishment republicans and don't give a shit about trump being "presidential" or polite.

stromboli

That might actually get him elected. Here is the Democrat counterpart.

Happy to see smilin' Bill looking over Hillary's shoulder? Could happen.