Stop fucking whining and fight against real inequality.

Started by Jannabear, February 22, 2016, 09:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

widdershins

Quote from: Jannabear on February 22, 2016, 09:43:29 PM
This is going to be a rant, so if you don't want to see me angry don't read it.
I've noticed something present among the lgbt community, many people are ready to complain when someone makes a gay joke or makes a joke of a stereotype, but when there are actual disgusting inequalities, they're silent, they don't care.
It's a disgusting state of affairs when someone makes a joke, and everyone loses their shit, but when shit like what's going on in south dakota http://thinkprogress.org/…/south-dakota-daugaard-transgend…/
or the epidemic of transgender people attempting suicide at a massive rate before the age of 18, or the fact that transgender kids can be denied starting hormones by their parents, or the fact that many states don't do enough to stop discrimination in the work place, it seems no one gives a fuck about this, or very few do, it wouldn't take me more then 10 seconds to find someone bitching about how x comedian made a gay joke, but it would take me a while to find someone seriously worried about this, outside of a few people who have any common sense.
Someone start taking actual fucking issues seriously, I'm not going to sit by and watch more transgender students, and kids, and adults off themselves at the disgusting rate they do while people bitch about someone being politically incorrect.
You have a strange idea of what "equality" is.  Transgender people being at greatly higher risk for suicide is a "tragedy", not an "inequality", for instance.  Kids being denied elective prescription drugs by their parents is "parenting", not "inequality", for another example.

I know you don't see this because you don't seem to see it in anyone, but I like you.  Sure, you're pissed off all the time, but hey, I would be to in your shoes.  I assume they're heals and damned uncomfortable (I hope that came off as funny, not dickish).  But I do like you and I do care about your pain.  But you seem to be under this impression that "rights" for transgender people means "doing whatever the fuck I want".  I know you don't mean it that way, but that is actually how you feel.  Using whichever bathroom you want, to quote a recent discussion.  This is not a "right" any Americans have, but you think it should be one, specifically and only, for you.  Parents have the right to determine what medical procedures and prescription drugs their kids take, but once again you want to carve out a special niche just for transgender people.  It really hurts your cause when you can't tell the difference between what should be a "right" and what you just wish were true.  I really wish all parents were understanding with their children, but when it comes down to the kid wanting one thing and the parents wanting another for that kid, under the age of 18, the parent wins.  That's just the way it is.  I know kids who were forced to attend church until they moved out.  The kids didn't want to, the parents wanted them to, the parents won.  One of them eventually committed suicide and I am convinced that fucked up church played a huge role in the mental state that led to that.

You should focus on things like equality in the workplace, equal housing, all the shit that are rights ALL OF US should have because we can ALL agree that ALL OF US should have that right.  If I have that right and you don't because you're transgender, THEN I get pissed off about it.  And that's what you need to be doing; get other people pissed of FOR you, not AT you.  You definitely have some things to be pissed about, but for the love of Spaghetti, PLEASE stick to issues that really should be "rights" and not things you just think are unfair.  I am not transgender and even I remember thinking how unfair life seemed when I was a kid.  My parents didn't let me do this, the school demanded I do that...  It's part of childhood.  If there's a disagreement between what you want and what your parents want, you lose.  Hell, you lose when it's between what you want and what just about ANY adult wants.

I really, REALLY want to agree with you.  I WANT to be on your side.  I know you're not wrong in your basic premise.  But in many of the specifics, you're dead wrong.  In many of the specifics you're not looking for "equality", you're looking for "special treatment".  I know it doesn't feel that way, but you are.  Find the common ground with EVERYONE and everyone will agree with you.  And the common ground with everyone is rights EVERYONE should have.
This sentence is a lie...