My take on the concept of god

Started by sreedevkkumar, February 25, 2016, 12:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sreedevkkumar

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 26, 2016, 08:42:46 AM
You are soooooo right about that.  That is one way I see theists being different than a secular person--the theist 'believes' he/she is right and considers their 'sincerely' held beliefs as all the proof they need.  In fact, the more fundamentalist they are the more they see believing in god in the face of facts to the contrary as a hallmark of their belief.  A secular person is more likely to 'think' or reason about why they do not believe in god and search for and take into account actual empirical proof or lack of empirical proof in their thoughts and decisions on the subject.
Yeah. Debating with a fundamentalist is one of the most frustrating and tiresome thing there is..

Sent from my HM NOTE 1LTE using Tapatalk

Mike Cl

Quote from: sreedevkkumar on February 26, 2016, 08:47:26 AM
Yeah. Debating with a fundamentalist is one of the most frustrating and tiresome thing there is..

Yes!  And it always will be, because you want to approach the subject using reason and thought and they only want to talk about belief.  And that makes the meeting of the minds impossible to achieve.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

sreedevkkumar

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 26, 2016, 09:06:06 AM
Yes!  And it always will be, because you want to approach the subject using reason and thought and they only want to talk about belief.  And that makes the meeting of the minds impossible to achieve.
Exactly!