Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Meaning in life.

Started by Jannabear, January 14, 2016, 02:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

Mike Cl

Life is-----there is no meaning. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

AllPurposeAtheist

Jannabear, from all I can tell you don't live in a society that orders you to live in any particular place.  You have the option to get the hell out to go live elsewhere.  I was invited to go live with my daughter and her kids and her former dip shit boyfriend, but I had no interest in living on a couch in a two bedroom dump with them and four kids so I took off for Columbus Ohio and a homeless shelter. It was the best decision for me in the past 30 years after all was said and done.  Now I live with a wonderful woman in a beautiful home and get to take care of my 87 year old father and spend time with him in his last few years of life.. If you're surrounded by assholes get the fuck out and change your life. It ain't easy, but it beats putting up with shit 24/7
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Deidre32

Your life might offer meaning to someone else...and in that, your life might have intrinsic value and meaning. All different ways to view it.
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Hydra009

Life is what we do when we're alive.  It is without objective purpose, though not without subjective value.

MilitantAtheist

I've had some of my own thoughts on this matter very recently after stumbling upon some different philosophy and while I'm not sure this is the right place for it, this thread seems like it could be a decently adequate place to house my thoughts and it is something I feel I need to put down on paper (on iPhone screen I know but you get the point). And sorry for the bump if it's too late.

After becoming familiar with the idea of determinism and 'illusion' of free will etc etc I've done some high level introspection amidst the existential crisis and considered the meaning of my life. This is what I've come down to that allows me some internal peace and the ability to give my existence some meaning:

I believe that I am in control of my own life and my decisions are my own. For every choice I make, I believe I could have chosen differently. Therefore, I think I deserve the credit/pride that comes with the good decisions and the blame/regret that comes with the bad ones. Is this really true? Maybe, maybe not. Do we know for sure? I don't believe so. Will we ever? Perhaps, but I doubt it will be any time soon. This is what I've ended up, more or less, after my research and thought on the matter. The belief that I'm in control is what will, I hope, eventually allow me to keep going with the idea that my life ends up where I decide it does and that I have to make the most of the limited time I have here.

Again, sorry if this is the wrong place or time but I'm open to hearing feedback or comment on my philosophy. Just please be gentle, I'm a delicate snowflake.
If God\'s real, he sure as hell ain\'t a Red Sox fan.

PickelledEggs

There is no meaning in life. Only torment.

Mike Cl

Quote from: MilitantAtheist on February 22, 2016, 02:21:08 PM
I've had some of my own thoughts on this matter very recently after stumbling upon some different philosophy and while I'm not sure this is the right place for it, this thread seems like it could be a decently adequate place to house my thoughts and it is something I feel I need to put down on paper (on iPhone screen I know but you get the point). And sorry for the bump if it's too late.

After becoming familiar with the idea of determinism and 'illusion' of free will etc etc I've done some high level introspection amidst the existential crisis and considered the meaning of my life. This is what I've come down to that allows me some internal peace and the ability to give my existence some meaning:

I believe that I am in control of my own life and my decisions are my own. For every choice I make, I believe I could have chosen differently. Therefore, I think I deserve the credit/pride that comes with the good decisions and the blame/regret that comes with the bad ones. Is this really true? Maybe, maybe not. Do we know for sure? I don't believe so. Will we ever? Perhaps, but I doubt it will be any time soon. This is what I've ended up, more or less, after my research and thought on the matter. The belief that I'm in control is what will, I hope, eventually allow me to keep going with the idea that my life ends up where I decide it does and that I have to make the most of the limited time I have here.

Again, sorry if this is the wrong place or time but I'm open to hearing feedback or comment on my philosophy. Just please be gentle, I'm a delicate snowflake.
Hey, sounds good.  Much like mine.  Except I don't think we are in control of very much.  We do get buffeted about by happenstance.  What we are in control of is the choice me make in each situation we are confronted with.  We make a choice to do something--or not--and we make a choice as to whether or not that happenstance is good or not.  We are in total control of what choices we make in how we handle each situation.  We are only partly in control of the situations we find ourselves in. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?