News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is that banjo music I hear?

Started by hillbillyatheist, March 22, 2013, 06:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillbillyatheist

Joking is one thing but apparently to many people They seriously believe if you play the banjo, you're some backwoods racist ultra conservative idiot. For the second time just this week some idiot has placed in the comments section of Huffington post this exact question "is that banjo music i hear?" in response to a story about some ultra teabagger bullshit. one a racist rag in west virginia and another to North Dakota's new draconian abortion laws.

I frankly resent it. I'm an educated, liberal, atheist. And I play banjo. not very well but still.

Is that banjo music you hear? no it isn't.

Hell even Earl Scruggs, himself, the guy who is like the Segovia of the banjo world was a progressive.

Ralph Stanley made an ad for Obama. Pete Wernick is a Humanist, Pete Seeger, is a progressive, and there's plenty more, including us at the bottom who aren't the best, but still play and we vote progressive.

There's lots of us out there.
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

the_antithesis

I thought that phrase was a reference to the movie Deliverance.

hillbillyatheist

Quote from: "the_antithesis"I thought that phrase was a reference to the movie Deliverance.
:lol: doesn't help your case.

though I must admit I've been tempted to go off to some canoeing resort, go by the river in a wooded area and pop out and play that tune on my banjo as folks in their canoes float by.

it wouldn't help reduce the stereotype, but it would be so worth it to see their reactions. LOL
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

Brian37

You are those stereotypes man! I don't care that Woodie Guthry was for workers rights. I don't care that Dolly Parton suports gay Marriage. And I don't care that you said "Yea Brian, if you like ABBA, fuck what everyone else thinks".

WHY WHY WHY WHY wont you let me have at least ONE stereotype?
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Brian37

QuoteHell even Earl Scruggs, himself, the guy who is like the Segovia of the banjo world was a progressive.

BLASPHEMY! Don't you ever put those two names in the same sentence ever again!
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

hillbillyatheist

Quote from: "Brian37"
QuoteHell even Earl Scruggs, himself, the guy who is like the Segovia of the banjo world was a progressive.

you're right that I shouldn't compare some schmuck  like Sagovia with a great man like Scruggs, but i just can't think of a guitarist that pwns like scruggs does.

just click here

Brian37

Quote from: "hillbillyatheist"
Quote from: "Brian37"

you're right that I shouldn't compare some schmuck  like Sagovia with a great man like Scruggs, but i just can't think of a guitarist that pwns like scruggs does.

YOU WANNA PIECE OF ME MR! CAUSE I WILL RUN AND HIDE UNDER MY BED LIKE A COWARD!

mnmelt

I'm certainly no "hillbilly".. But I LOVE the music from "Oh Brtother Where Art Thou"..!!!!!
Jesus loves me but I still make him wear a condom

Thumpalumpacus

Some stereotypes are more acceptable than others.
<insert witty aphorism here>

stromboli

Uh, HB, referring to yourself as a "hillbilly" doesn't help your case. And consarn and gol' dang it, where we all gonna be wifout our stereeotypicalities now, hey?  (spits, shoves hands into coverall pockets)

hillbillyatheist

Quote from: "stromboli"Uh, HB, referring to yourself as a "hillbilly" doesn't help your case. And consarn and gol' dang it, where we all gonna be wifout our stereeotypicalities now, hey?  (spits, shoves hands into coverall pockets)

being a hillbilly doesn't mean you're a racist, teabagger. LOL

I actually picked my username purposely. by juxtaposing hillbilly with atheist two things that are stereotypically antithetical, I help show that no, being an atheist doesn't make you an elitist and being a hillbilly doesn't make you dumb.

just click here

stromboli

Tea- TEABAGGER? Damn, now you're getting nasty.  [-X

Thumpalumpacus

I noticed in Southern California that when people learned I am a native Texan, they became much more willing to use racial epithets, as if they assumed I wouldn't mind it.  They didn't know that I'm a member of a multiracial family, and when I made that known, the discomfort on their part was palpable.
<insert witty aphorism here>

stromboli

What I do know is that a banjo is a hard instrument to learn, so good luck with your quest.

Jutter

I pretend I'm a banjo ALL the time. That's why I'm so tight-strung.
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.