News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

should I come out to being an athiest?

Started by yoyobeerman, March 22, 2013, 04:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yoyobeerman

My family, immediate, and extended, is full of Jehovah's Witnesses. The only people I know of that are indecisive on religion are my uncle, aunt, her 3 sisters, and her daughter. I feel like my mom might understand, because I already feel like she feels the same way about religion. On the other hand, my dad, and big sister's won't be as forgiving. I fear I might be in danger of being kicked out, however I can't take it anymore. I am tired of pretending to be passionate about "Jehovah" and attending those two hour torture sessions, and spend another hour pretending to enjoy the conversations I am forced to have with old delusional people. I feel like I am living a lie and wasting time pretending to believe in a giant invisible man that lives in the sky, and is omnipotent. Please tell me if you think I should come out of the closet, and if so give me some tips. Also tell me your experience with coming out of the closet.

_Xenu_

Fucking cult. You're going to have to wait until you're independent to fully break away. Can you think of a way to stall? If ejection is imminent and you expect to find yourself homeless, I would seek out a relevant support group for ex-JW.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

NitzWalsh

If you do need to look for a support group, be careful, a lot of them are evangelical groups trying to suck you into a different religious system.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

antediluvian

Don't come out at this time.
It is not in your best interests.
I always wondered why having balls was equated with "strength".  Balls are sensitive and delicate, actually.   Better to grow a vagina.  Those things can take a pounding - and pop out a live human being the size of a watermelon.

Brian37

Um didn't you already make a post stating this?
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

yoyobeerman

Quote from: "Brian37"Um didn't you already make a post stating this?
I made a post asking how to skip worship sessions, I heard it was not advised to come out of the closet, so I wanted to make sure.

Brian37

Quote from: "yoyobeerman"
Quote from: "Brian37"Um didn't you already make a post stating this?
I made a post asking how to skip worship sessions, I heard it was not advised to come out of the closet, so I wanted to make sure.

Just so you know, we do get poes upon occasion, not just here but atheist websites in general. Humans in general don't like getting played.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

mnmelt

Sad to say... I'd wait as well.. the grief you'll get is not worth it..
Jesus loves me but I still make him wear a condom

Brian37

Quote from: "mnmelt"Sad to say... I'd wait as well.. the grief you'll get is not worth it..

Thats why I asked what age they were. If you only have a few years then wait until you are out on your own. But it is a bad idea to get thrown out of the house, lose their financial support and end up with no money no place to live and no education.

It sucks but you still when you are not around them, can get online and talk to us. Many of us here, not me per say, but many here deal with and have dealt with religious parents. Many of us here, like myself even as an adult, still deal with religious family members and co workers and society in general. We do know what the bigotry and fear and hate is like.

Save your money, stay in school, stay out of trouble,  get good grades, and learn learn learn. But while you are at home know that they are still family. Vent here if you need to we are always here, many of us on a daily basis.

ticdog

Gays were not accepted until they got out of the closet and into the public spotlight
now more and more kids tell their parents how they feel ... It would behoove Atheists
to speak up about religious doubts  no matter the consequences .
The truth will set you free .
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Atheon

How old are you?

If a teenager, just stick it out for a few more years. Those years will pass before you know it. Only you can judge your family's reaction to your atheism, since everyone's family and experiences are different. Some parents can react in frightening ways, while others are much more rational and accepting of others' differences. We can't make that judgement for you.

In daily life, you can simply show no interest in religion; you can try, if possible, to get out of attending religious events (church, etc.). But be polite and respectful: nobody reacts well to a dick.

Once you're independent, you can do what you want. It's generally better to come out to your family then.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Sal1981

Brian37 has the best advice, IMO.

Tolerate it until you're able to be independent. The way to world works and what's expected of us, we have to put on a face to appease a bunch of people until we're free and independent, then we can express our genuine position.

Sal1981

Quote from: "ticdog"Gays were not accepted until they got out of the closet and into the public spotlight
now more and more kids tell their parents how they feel ... It would behoove Atheists
That's not very considerate.

NitzWalsh

Quote from: "Sal1981"
Quote from: "ticdog"Gays were not accepted until they got out of the closet and into the public spotlight
That's not very considerate.

It's also potentially dangerous advice. In Jehovah's Witness households, if a child says they are atheist or gay, they have a tendency to kick them out if they are 16 or older, cut them off, and never talk to them again.

In some households, the mention of being homosexual will land a teenager into forced gay-be-gone camps where counselors have been known to use torture methods to get the children to change who they are.

In Muslim countries, either are likely to be murdered by their own family or public mobs.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke