Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Atheism As Natural To Humans As Religion

Started by stromboli, February 17, 2016, 09:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on March 01, 2016, 09:52:40 PM
Key word here being "imagine."

How can a kaiju connoisseur be uncomfortable with imagination ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: LittleNipper on March 01, 2016, 05:47:29 PM
Magic and the miraculous are entirely two different things. God is supernatural and not supermagical.
That's a "special pleading". "I don't believe in magic, but my god is NOT magic!" Magic is the only way to explain a god or gods.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Baruch on March 02, 2016, 06:45:56 AM
How can a kaiju connoisseur be uncomfortable with imagination ;-)
Because our Lord and Lizard actually exists, as you know.

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: LittleNipper on March 01, 2016, 05:47:29 PM
Magic and the miraculous are entirely two different things. God is supernatural and not supermagical.
Quote from: Vocabulary.comSupernatural comes from the Latin word supernaturalis, meaning beyond nature. The adjective form of supernatural describes anything that pertains to or is caused by something that can't be explained by the laws of nature.
If "supernatural" is "beyond nature," then "supermagical" would be "beyond magical." So your statement that God is NOT "beyond magic" is true. He is, in fact, "magical." But then I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant to say. You meant to say that God is not "magical."

Quote from: Oxford English DictionaryMAGIC

Noun:
1. The power of apparently influencing the course of events by using mysterious or supernatural forces
God uses magic. And if not magic then by what mechanism do his thoughts become actions? The Bible tells us he said, "Let there be light" and there was light. By what impetus, other than his magic Word, can he cause anything to happen?
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 25, 2016, 07:07:27 AM

God uses magic. And if not magic then by what mechanism do his thoughts become actions? The Bible tells us he said, "Let there be light" and there was light. By what impetus, other than his magic Word, can he cause anything to happen?

Well Einstein said, "E=mc2", and then somebody built a nuclear bomb - that's magic... just sayin'...

DeltaEpsilon

Perhaps not in the modern age where we have gained a significant amount of knowledge. But religion is ubiquitous. People in ancient times were religious likely because it gave them closure and comfort.
The fireworks in my head don't ever seem to stop

drunkenshoe

Atheism has nothing to do with religion. It is a position of being neutral to the idea of a creator; a supernatural source for life. Religion is the set of rules and regulations built around the idea of creator(s) according to cultures that developed in time. 

Is being neutral to anything comes natural to humans? No, it is not. It requires enlightement, it requires knowledge. It requires the linguistic, philosophical, scientific discourse.

There is no atheism 200 years ago, let alone in the ancient world.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Tolerance requires humility, something humans are short of.

Acceptance requires a sense of humor, often missing with posters here.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I really enjoyed the book Doubt: A History, by Jennifer Michael Hecht. She shows that, indeed, atheists and other doubters have been around for a very long time.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman