News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Antonin Scalia found dead

Started by TomFoolery, February 13, 2016, 05:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on February 17, 2016, 11:09:14 AM
No, that was Kennedy in 1988.  Scalia was in an off year, 1986.  Also, Nixon appointed two in 1972, and Ike appointed one  in 1956 -- those last three being while the president was also a candidate.  It has never been the case that a SCOTUS nominee be put on hold pending an election, and you have to go back to FDR for the last time a Democrat had that opportunity.

Not that the GOP gives a shit about the Constitution.  That runs a distant second to throwing a fit every time President Obama breathes.
Thanks for correcting my memory--I'm finding that more and more I am remembering things from an alternative universe. :))  And you are correct that the gop cares little, if at all, for the constitution.  They read it as they read their bibles--pulling out things that don't exist or put a new spin on things that do.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Johan

Quote from: josephpalazzo on February 17, 2016, 08:38:48 AM
I'd bet anything that if a Republican would be occupying the Oval office, we would have an appointment to SCOTUS. Obstructionism has become second nature to the GOP.
Yeah, no. The Democrats have done (or proposed doing) the same shit too.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/02/14/flashback-in-2007-schumer-called-for-blocking-all-bush-supreme-court-nominations/
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Baruch

“exclusive fraternity for hunters called the International Order of St. Hubertus, an Austrian society that dates back to the 1600s.”

See his royal highness, Scalia the First ... was a member of European nobility.  I also hear that the local sheriff pronounced him dead, and not by foul means ... thru a phone call, he never examined the body (or had anyone else do it).  A coroner examined my father's dead body, but then he wasn't on the SCOTUS.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on February 16, 2016, 05:04:21 PM
He feels that since he married her he's responsible for her for life...the whole 'for better or worse ' bullshit..

Isn't that what love is in the end, APA? We are talking about people at their mid 80s. I have a big respect for your dad.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Johan on February 17, 2016, 07:06:43 PM

http://dailycaller.com/2016/02/14/flashback-in-2007-schumer-called-for-blocking-all-bush-supreme-court-nominations/

When Schumer made that speech, it was hypothetical as there were no nominees to SCOTUS since there were no vacancies.  Previously, Bush had wanted to nominate Harriet Miers, a total outcast with no experience as a judge - labelled as a disaster by Bush own party. In that context, Schumer was just giving Bush a warning shot not to pull a fast one in his last year as a president. Context is very important...

trdsf

Quote from: Johan on February 17, 2016, 07:06:43 PM

So are you approving of McConnell pulling it now when there is an actual vacancy as opposed to Schumer simply discussing it when there wasn't?  Because this has no relevance unless you're saying either that both were right, or both were wrong.  "They did it too" doesn't give either side one free shot to do the same (and also ignores Republican obstructionism over many more judicial nominees put forward by President Obama for seats that remain vacant because they refuse to act on them).  If it was wrong for Schumer to suggest it, it's wrong for McConnell to actually do it.  If it's okay for McConnell to refuse to consider a nomination made by Obama, then it was okay for Schumer to suggest a moratorium on nominations during the upcoming election year.  Period.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

stromboli

Quote from: Baruch on February 25, 2016, 10:57:09 PM
“exclusive fraternity for hunters called the International Order of St. Hubertus, an Austrian society that dates back to the 1600s.”

See his royal highness, Scalia the First ... was a member of European nobility.  I also hear that the local sheriff pronounced him dead, and not by foul means ... thru a phone call, he never examined the body (or had anyone else do it).  A coroner examined my father's dead body, but then he wasn't on the SCOTUS.

And if that doesn't smack of the old world Illuminati, nothing does. Ancient hunting club formed in Austria? Hoo boy. Not that far from Bavaria. You never know...... carry on.