News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Woodworking

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, February 13, 2016, 05:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm supposed to be getting my branding iron delivered today.  I'm currently making and plan on selling boxes I call Weedstache Box(es)..
I have about 30 boxes made and ready to go and if they sell well I can scale up to produce about 10-20 a day and many more if I have help. My son may decide to move here to help. Between the two of us we can probably knock out about 50-75 a day if they sell well enough.. If we get to that point we will likely branch out, rent a shop and start producing other things.
We've talked about making cabinets for big apartment complexes. They're easy to build once you have the right setup and equipment.
Right now I'm still using my old Crapman table saw, but I'm definitely eyeballing a cabinet saw. I'd like to go with a Sawstop saw for the safety aspect. I'd really love to never have to worry about chopping off a finger or so.. 

One box minus the lid.. It's Caribbean Walnut or Tzasam with just a coating of boiled linseed oil on it..
It's a beautiful wood with really nice grain patterns.. Kind of pricey, but not too expensive..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

Finally received my branding iron for putting my design on the boxes I make.. I have a bit of a learning curve to go through with various wood species I use.  Certain softwood and hardwood burn faster and I have to make sure the surface is really flat.
The iron I have is electric, but can also be heated with gas heat as well and I have a digital infrared thermometer on order to make sure I have the right temperature for various woods..
So here's the design.. You don't have to like it, but I do.. If you're interested in ordering one of my famous boxes (or two or 50!) let me know and I'll give board members a discount.  $15 instead of my regular asking price of $20.
Remember, you're not buying the steak, you're buying the sizzle. lol
Boxes are appx 6" long x 3" high x 3" wide and it varies a bit because of sanding and other factors..

This one is a practice box.. Cedar..The top wasn't completely flat so there are weak spots. And I had resanded the top of this one so the finish doesn't match well.
You get the idea..
Here's a much better burn on a piece of plywood. I have a lot of practice ahead to get proficient at this..

AllPurposeAtheist

Just did a quick search for a cheapo propane torch head and man! They've really jumped up in price since the last one I bought.. Maybe it's just me and I imagined that I didn't pay much last time or maybe it's been 20 years since I bought the last one I just forgot how much they used to cost..

Cavebear

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 09, 2017, 08:04:27 PM
Finally received my branding iron for putting my design on the boxes I make.. I have a bit of a learning curve to go through with various wood species I use.  Certain softwood and hardwood burn faster and I have to make sure the surface is really flat.
The iron I have is electric, but can also be heated with gas heat as well and I have a digital infrared thermometer on order to make sure I have the right temperature for various woods..
So here's the design.. You don't have to like it, but I do.. If you're interested in ordering one of my famous boxes (or two or 50!) let me know and I'll give board members a discount.  $15 instead of my regular asking price of $20.
Remember, you're not buying the steak, you're buying the sizzle. lol
Boxes are appx 6" long x 3" high x 3" wide and it varies a bit because of sanding and other factors..

This one is a practice box.. Cedar..The top wasn't completely flat so there are weak spots. And I had resanded the top of this one so the finish doesn't match well.
You get the idea..
Here's a much better burn on a piece of plywood. I have a lot of practice ahead to get proficient at this..

I am more interested in the branding iron.  I'm finally starting to actually build some simple furniture and would like that ID marking.  Where did you get yours?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

fencerider

wow just talked to a coworker about this subject

here is a good place to start Cavebear

https://brandingirons.com/collections/wood

Allpurpose your just in time for legal marijuana in California.ðŸ¤" I was checking out being a grower a couple days after that ballot passed last year but I dont have a yard to grow a crop😕
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on November 11, 2017, 02:15:59 AM
wow just talked to a coworker about this subject

here is a good place to start Cavebear

https://brandingirons.com/collections/wood

Allpurpose your just in time for legal marijuana in California.ðŸ¤" I was checking out being a grower a couple days after that ballot passed last year but I dont have a yard to grow a crop😕

Thank you.  I want my name and a bear shape.  I'll contact the sites.

fencerider

If you want to do it by hand you can pick up a wood burning/ engraving tool at a hobby store for $30-$40. I don’t know if there are other websites. My coworker wants to make little things to sell at the swap-meet, but he didnt say what design he wanted.

My last post I was talking about wood dye (Keta wood dye et.al.) Since then I discovered Cactus Juice Wood Stabilizing Resin. (mostly clear with a yellow tint) It can be colored with alumilite dye or left plain. They work it by putting the piece of wood in a large container of cactus juice inside a vacume chamber. Then cook it to make it set.

Has anyone tried using a vacume chamber to get linseed oil or tung oil into a piece of wood?
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on November 11, 2017, 01:08:24 PM
If you want to do it by hand you can pick up a wood burning/ engraving tool at a hobby store for $30-$40. I don’t know if there are other websites. My coworker wants to make little things to sell at the swap-meet, but he didnt say what design he wanted.

My last post I was talking about wood dye (Keta wood dye et.al.) Since then I discovered Cactus Juice Wood Stabilizing Resin. (mostly clear with a yellow tint) It can be colored with alumilite dye or left plain. They work it by putting the piece of wood in a large container of cactus juice inside a vacume chamber. Then cook it to make it set.

Has anyone tried using a vacume chamber to get linseed oil or tung oil into a piece of wood?

Thank you.

And I wondered where the yellow went...

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Cavebear on November 11, 2017, 12:03:48 AM
I am more interested in the branding iron.  I'm finally starting to actually build some simple furniture and would like that ID marking.  Where did you get yours?
A guy in Czech Republic,  https://www.etsy.com/listing/463111385/custom-logo-branding-iron-with-custom
Very helpful with questions and the brand itself is made of much thicker material than most which holds heat much longer than thin brass brands. The shipping costs are kind of pricey, but the product is top notch.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Cavebear on November 11, 2017, 12:03:48 AM
One problem selling furniture is a lot of people are hesitant because so much stuff on sites such as craigslist, etc has bedbugs on or in it and its tough to sell furniture plus it's expensive to ship.
I thought about selling furniture, but man, you either have to just about give it away or the quality has to be so well made with extreme workmanship that you have to price it so high that nobody can afford it..

Cavebear

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 13, 2017, 05:37:31 PM
One problem selling furniture is a lot of people are hesitant because so much stuff on sites such as craigslist, etc has bedbugs on or in it and its tough to sell furniture plus it's expensive to ship.
I thought about selling furniture, but man, you either have to just about give it away or the quality has to be so well made with extreme workmanship that you have to price it so high that nobody can afford it..

No. I mean only building furniture for myself.  Starting with a real workbench.  I'm still using a cheap workbench that doubles as an extension to the old radial saw.  I am intending to build one of those rollable island workbenches like in the woodworking mags, then  some end tables, and finally a dining table.

fencerider

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 13, 2017, 05:37:31 PM
I worked long enough for a contractor to get my own licence for finsh carpentry, but I also thought about going the Amazon route. A quick look at Amazon will show that whatever price range you’re looking at has a niche there. (you can name your price because there will always be vendors much higher price than you. Problem is that a quick look at Amazon will also show thousands of products in the price range that you want to work at

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on November 16, 2017, 02:04:33 AM
I worked long enough for a contractor to get my own licence for finsh carpentry, but I also thought about going the Amazon route. A quick look at Amazon will show that whatever price range you’re looking at has a niche there. (you can name your price because there will always be vendors much higher price than you. Problem is that a quick look at Amazon will also show thousands of products in the price range that you want to work at

I doubt you can make any money on Amazon.  They whole premise is eliminating profits of manufacturers i their favor.

Fortunately, I just want to build a set of personal floating wood top furniture with a few arts and crafts techniques.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 18, 2017, 03:39:17 AM
I doubt you can make any money on Amazon.  They whole premise is eliminating profits of manufacturers i their favor.

Fortunately, I just want to build a set of personal floating wood top furniture with a few arts and crafts techniques.

My Ex was doing used books, back in 2002.  By that time she was already losing money .... too many other people doing the same thing, and the source of used books (thrift shops) had gotten wise, no longer put the good stuff out.  Now that is Adam Smith capitalism.  For every action, eventually there is an opposite reaction ... but only if you keep government monopoly or manipulation out of the market.  There are few natural monopolies, except the government creates them for their favored campaign contributors.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

Just testing out the google photo sharing app..

Nope..doesn't do didly squoot.. Never mind..