News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Woodworking

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, February 13, 2016, 05:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fencerider

This post is already getting long. Not sure if I should start a new post on wood working....

I mentioned a few pages ago that I like going to youtube to learn new tricks that I didnt learn while working with cabinets on the job. (all thos jigs for routers and table saws)

I was looking into refinishing; something I never did; and discovered this wonderful thing called wood dye. Stains are solid particles of color that are suspended in a medium and applied to the surface of the wood. Because they don't dissolve they mostly stay on the surface. However dye dissolves completely in water so it can penetrate into the wood (It's how they get the cool look on electric guitars) Because they go farther than the surface dye can give rich color or just a tint. After it dries stain can be applied on top of it. So far I've found 3 brands that make dye specifically for wood (comes with the price tag).

After spending the weekend on this subject I came to realize any water soluble dye can be used ( I am not sure if there are any oil dyes or if they are all pigments). People have used food color to create their wooden masterpiece. Well I think I got overloaded to think you can also use hair dye to color wood. The only bad part is that all these brilliant colors are sensitive to UV light so you have to put a UV protection in the finish....
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on September 26, 2017, 12:33:18 AM
This post is already getting long. Not sure if I should start a new post on wood working....

I mentioned a few pages ago that I like going to youtube to learn new tricks that I didnt learn while working with cabinets on the job. (all thos jigs for routers and table saws)

I was looking into refinishing; something I never did; and discovered this wonderful thing called wood dye. Stains are solid particles of color that are suspended in a medium and applied to the surface of the wood. Because they don't dissolve they mostly stay on the surface. However dye dissolves completely in water so it can penetrate into the wood (It's how they get the cool look on electric guitars) Because they go farther than the surface dye can give rich color or just a tint. After it dries stain can be applied on top of it. So far I've found 3 brands that make dye specifically for wood (comes with the price tag).

After spending the weekend on this subject I came to realize any water soluble dye can be used ( I am not sure if there are any oil dyes or if they are all pigments). People have used food color to create their wooden masterpiece. Well I think I got overloaded to think you can also use hair dye to color wood. The only bad part is that all these brilliant colors are sensitive to UV light so you have to put a UV protection in the finish....

Um, this may sound strange.  I have a split foyer house.  Which means a half stair up to effectively a ranch house and a half stair down to an above ground basement the same size.  It's weird.  But it means there is a half-height wall along the upper half stair. 

I would like to build a wood box the 12' length of the half-height wall, set some fluorescent lights in it and hang it from the ceiling with hang plants below.

I want the box shiny jet black and unaffected by heat from the bulbs.  What kind of finish?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

fencerider

Quote from: trdsf on May 31, 2017, 03:30:24 PM
I put together a flat-pack bookcase yesterday, which for me is as close as I get to woodworking.  It's a skill I wish I had; my uncle was a genuine artisan and I have a couple of his better pieces.  I'd be happy to even manage the practical, never mind the artistic.
Hey you accomplished something!!! - I assembled all manner of cabinets as a job for 3 1/2 years. Sometimes customers would ask me to put together something they got at Home Depot or Ikea. The directions they give are confusing as hell. I put things together a whole lot faster when I threw the directions away and just looked at the parts.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

fencerider

Quote from: Cavebear on September 28, 2017, 03:13:22 AM
Um, this may sound strange.  I have a split foyer house.  Which means a half stair up to effectively a ranch house and a half stair down to an above ground basement the same size.  It's weird.  But it means there is a half-height wall along the upper half stair. 

I would like to build a wood box the 12' length of the half-height wall, set some fluorescent lights in it and hang it from the ceiling with hang plants below.

I want the box shiny jet black and unaffected by heat from the bulbs.  What kind of finish?

I've been in a few town houses like that half floor down to the garage and half floor up to the main floor. There are actually quite a few around Los Angeles. The authors houses in Beverly Hills outside the gated communities. Hills around here have some crazy houses. ... and Ventura, the garage is on top of the living room and the rest of the house goes down the hill.

If you're not picky about finish, there are high temperature paints available in some places. Black is one of the most popular colors (for stage lights in theaters). I don't remember if they have it at Home Depot or Lowes. If you want a finish not sure... fluorescent lights not usually that hot from far away, but if you're using them as a grow light it might get warm

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on September 30, 2017, 11:29:21 PM
I've been in a few town houses like that half floor down to the garage and half floor up to the main floor. There are actually quite a few around Los Angeles. The authors houses in Beverly Hills outside the gated communities. Hills around here have some crazy houses. ... and Ventura the garage is on top of the living room and the rest to the house goes down the hill.

If you're not picky about finish, there are high temperature paints available in some places. Black is one of the most popular colors (for stage lights in theaters). I don't remember if they have it at Home Depot or Lowes. If you want a finish not sure Fluorescent lights not usually that hot from far away, but if you're using them as a grow light it might get warm

I had in mind a black box (13' now that I actually measure it) so there would 3 4'f 2 bulb fluorescent growlight fixtures in it.  The black wood box heavily finished.  Just large enough to prevent heat causing a problem.  Deep enough to direct most light below to hanging plants.

fencerider

In general you want the properties of an exterior finish. Most important is UV protection. Most of the big brands have a clear coat with UV protection.

I found this brand in a forum by someone that has an outside deck in Arizona
https://www.flood.com/search
search cwf

I don't know that that one is any better than deft or minwax

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on October 01, 2017, 02:22:15 AM
In general you want the properties of an exterior finish. Most important is UV protection. Most of the big brands have a clear coat with UV protection.

I found this brand in a forum by someone that has an outside deck in Arizona
https://www.flood.com/search
search cwf

I don't know that that one is any better than deft or minwax

Something like shiny black varnish finish.  But my only experience with black paint and varnish as a teen left a gummy finish that refused to dry.

fencerider

Cavebear

fencerider

I saw a couple, but maybe not those links. If you mean the outside, one of those was listed at 650F. There are metal paints made for repainting car engines (maybe Autozone). If you mean the grill where you put the food... not a good idea to paint the food rack.

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on October 01, 2017, 02:52:25 AM
I saw a couple, but maybe not those links. If you mean the outside, one of those was listed at 650F. There are metal paints made for repainting car engines (maybe Autozone). If you mean the grill where you put the food... not a good idea to paint the food rack.

Ack.  OK, The outsides of a lightbox supporting interior lights over a rack of hanging houseplants.  And about the grill; the outside after wirebrushing off some rust where the heat inside wouldn't peel off the new paint on the outside.

fencerider

there is also a product called stove bright made for the exterior of a stove. It says specifically it is not food safe so only on the outside.

I found a few places that can do a food safe high temp finish, but none of them are take home products. Have to go to a service center to do it...

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on October 01, 2017, 03:09:38 AM
there is also a product called stove bright made for the exterior of a stove. It says specifically it is not food safe so only on the outside.

I found a few places that can do a food safe high temp finish, but none of them are take home products. Have to go to a service center to do it...

There is a 'woodstove and hearth' business nearby.  I think I will visit them to see what they have for paint.

fencerider

Cavebear