News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Woodworking

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, February 13, 2016, 05:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

But getting back to the scantily clad young lady...
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Johan

Nice. A bandsaw is on my wish list. How did the previous owner fix the vibration issue?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Mike Cl

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on April 26, 2017, 10:51:43 PM

For those going through depression you might want to consider taking up woodworking.  It'll keep your mind occupied and give you a decent sense of accomplishment.
That is a great solution!  I use the same idea, only with computer games and reading, to keep my mind occupied.  Your solution is practical in that you have a practical item when you are finished with a project.  I don't.  But that's okay, games do keep me out of other people's hair.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Some people are artistic with wood.  My Grampa carved a whale and a greyhound.  My Dad made an eagle (I have them as keepsakes).  I do not have that talent.  To me, a block of wood does not have a figure waiting to be released from it.

I like making practical things.  A 2 level deck.  A 200' stepped shadowbox fence.  A wall-mounted 3-tier shoe rack.  A wall mounted 3-tier hat rack.  Shelves.  A garden shed.  Framed flower and veggie beds...

I don't lack imagination.  I read and write science fiction and fantasy.  I write poems.  I write haiku.  I cat-blog.

But I am just boringly practical when it comes to wood.  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

Not woodwork, but similar, after meeting a lot of extended family at the funeral and wake of my great-aunt, I meet my second cousin once removed, who was a black Smith and artisan, who made a career out of warping and bending metalwork works of art, similar to this.

The way he described it gave me a good appreciation for metalwork and its craft.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Johan on April 27, 2017, 06:25:29 PM
Nice. A bandsaw is on my wish list. How did the previous owner fix the vibration issue?
Well, he really didn't. It still vibrates, but I can live with it for the most part, but I do need to fix a few issues.
I have the wheels pretty even, but someday I need to remove the rubber dampeners from between the base and the saw itself. I did manage to break a 3/8th" blade recently..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Cavebear

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 29, 2017, 08:13:10 AM
Well, he really didn't. It still vibrates, but I can live with it for the most part, but I do need to fix a few issues.
I have the wheels pretty even, but someday I need to remove the rubber dampeners from between the base and the saw itself. I did manage to break a 3/8th" blade recently..

Have you tried a linked belt?  A friend changed his to that and it helped.  I use one on my floor drill  press and riding mower.  It takes some work to get it adjusted right, but it seems to be worth it afterwards.

trdsf

I put together a flat-pack bookcase yesterday, which for me is as close as I get to woodworking.  It's a skill I wish I had; my uncle was a genuine artisan and I have a couple of his better pieces.  I'd be happy to even manage the practical, never mind the artistic.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on May 31, 2017, 03:30:24 PM
I put together a flat-pack bookcase yesterday, which for me is as close as I get to woodworking.  It's a skill I wish I had; my uncle was a genuine artisan and I have a couple of his better pieces.  I'd be happy to even manage the practical, never mind the artistic.

I'm building a 2-bin compost bin right now.  Designed it myself.  Some parts by measurement, some by craft-fitting.  I'm no artisan, just a practical builder.

AllPurposeAtheist

I guess an update on what I've been up to in the shop may be in order if anyone gives a rats ass and frankly I won't blame anyone who doesn't..
Well, anyways..I decided to start giving something back to organizations who have helped me in the past. The furniture bank helped me out once and is a national organization that provides furniture to people getting back on their feet so I'm making limited amounts of furniture to give to them to distribute locally. Here's one chair I recently built and its been a real learning experience. I'll add the seat part later after the other chair is finished along with the table yet to be made.

As I learned there's a lot more to building chairs than people realize..
That single chair came from a single 2x6 so the material cost for the wooden frame was just $4.50 for the lumber. The thing that I don't like about it is it's made from the cheap lightweight  species commonly called eastern white pine so the next is made from a 2x10 of southern yellow pine which is much harder and heavier wood with a much more distinct grain pattern. The cost is about the same.
I recently found a guy locally who owns his own sawmill and he is willing to sell me yellow pine for 50 cent per board feet.  Just to give you an idea..these are undressed boards, actual 2 inches by 4 inches instead of the dimensional stuff sold in stores (1.5" x 3.5") so.. An 8'-2x4 has 5.3 board feet.  That's about $2.65 for a real 2x4 instead of $3.50 for the shaved down stuff sold in stores.. Also he'll sell me white and red oak for $3 per bf which is WAYYYY cheaper than anything sold at home depot or lowes who sell it by the linier foot. A board foot of oak at the box stores probably runs around $10-12 per bf..  in case you're wondering 1 board foot is measured 12 inches by 12 inches by 1 inch..
He also sells the ever popular live edge lumber which in stores is through the roof. He quoted me a 2" slab, 5' long for under $100.. in stores that's around $500.. Live edge tables sell for the BIG $$$.. Live edge just means that the bark isn't dawn off the edge.  If you want to see what live edge tables are selling for take a gender at just some of the stuff selling on Edsy.. https://www.etsy.com/listing/260492401/9-live-edge-table-single-slab-boardroom?utm_campaign=shopping_us_TreeGreenTeam_sfc_osa&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_custom1=0&utm_content=7154327&gclid=CjwKEAjwjunJBRDzl6iCpoKS4G0SJACJAx-Vx9dtnjY0qPrPC65rSN-Y20_ALFsZ-s3xERLtiui3GhoChC7w_wcB
I'm not going to be giving away $6,000 tables, but I might start building and selling them..

AllPurposeAtheist

Oh yeah, just something I made today to make life easier.. It's a tapering jig for making tapered legs for tables and chairs which can also be used to get a near perfect edge to a board that isn't quite straight. 

In case you're wondering, those small wood pieces at the bottom of the rear bolts are homemade oak nuts. I was short two 3/8-16 nuts so I drilled a 5/16" hole then threaded through with the 3/8" bolts.  It ain't fancy, but it works..

AllPurposeAtheist

So I decided that if I ever decide to start selling my wood chairs my ad will say,  "Guaranteed that Joe Cartright ain't getting back up if you beat him over the head in a saloon brawl with my chairs! Even Hoss ain't getting back up"
Funny thing those old TV Westerns.. You would think that nobody back in the 1800s knew a damned thing about furniture construction, but the truth is most furniture in those days used what's referred to as through tenon construction and that stuff didn't just fall apart getting slapped over someone's shoulder. Chances are those kinds of violent actions would've been lethal. Ever seen someone get hit with a chair?  It ain't pretty.. lol

Cavebear

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on June 09, 2017, 05:01:48 AM
I guess an update on what I've been up to in the shop may be in order if anyone gives a rats ass and frankly I won't blame anyone who doesn't..
Well, anyways..I decided to start giving something back to organizations who have helped me in the past. The furniture bank helped me out once and is a national organization that provides furniture to people getting back on their feet so I'm making limited amounts of furniture to give to them to distribute locally. Here's one chair I recently built and its been a real learning experience. I'll add the seat part later after the other chair is finished along with the table yet to be made.

As I learned there's a lot more to building chairs than people realize..
That single chair came from a single 2x6 so the material cost for the wooden frame was just $4.50 for the lumber. The thing that I don't like about it is it's made from the cheap lightweight  species commonly called eastern white pine so the next is made from a 2x10 of southern yellow pine which is much harder and heavier wood with a much more distinct grain pattern. The cost is about the same.
I recently found a guy locally who owns his own sawmill and he is willing to sell me yellow pine for 50 cent per board feet.  Just to give you an idea..these are undressed boards, actual 2 inches by 4 inches instead of the dimensional stuff sold in stores (1.5" x 3.5") so.. An 8'-2x4 has 5.3 board feet.  That's about $2.65 for a real 2x4 instead of $3.50 for the shaved down stuff sold in stores.. Also he'll sell me white and red oak for $3 per bf which is WAYYYY cheaper than anything sold at home depot or lowes who sell it by the linier foot. A board foot of oak at the box stores probably runs around $10-12 per bf..  in case you're wondering 1 board foot is measured 12 inches by 12 inches by 1 inch..
He also sells the ever popular live edge lumber which in stores is through the roof. He quoted me a 2" slab, 5' long for under $100.. in stores that's around $500.. Live edge tables sell for the BIG $$$.. Live edge just means that the bark isn't dawn off the edge.  If you want to see what live edge tables are selling for take a gender at just some of the stuff selling on Edsy.. https://www.etsy.com/listing/260492401/9-live-edge-table-single-slab-boardroom?utm_campaign=shopping_us_TreeGreenTeam_sfc_osa&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_custom1=0&utm_content=7154327&gclid=CjwKEAjwjunJBRDzl6iCpoKS4G0SJACJAx-Vx9dtnjY0qPrPC65rSN-Y20_ALFsZ-s3xERLtiui3GhoChC7w_wcB
I'm not going to be giving away $6,000 tables, but I might start building and selling them..

It's a lovely chair.  But I know people who would plop down on it and break it to bits.  There are no diagonal supports.  I mention that only because I built a porch swing very much like that and it failed the first hard "sit". 

AllPurposeAtheist

Probably had to do with the details of your construction CB..
Few chairs have diagonal parts. They do however have curved back legs which helps distribute weight better. There's a lot of little details in chair construction most people just don't know about.  I use 3/8" oak dowels, 2 in each joint about 3/4 inch deep in each side, but you can use tenon and mortise or similar to dowels, floating tenons..

Anyway, I've finally settled on making weed stash boxes and have a logo I'm going to burn into the tops of them.
They're just simple hardwood boxes with simple,  straightforward dado joinery. The selling point really isn't the box itself, it's the logo and the idea of them being weed stash boxes or as my logo says, Weedstache boxes.. Easy to assemble and strong enough to hold dried marijuana.. lol
I'd post a picture, but that fucking image sharing service decided to shit all over everyone who has been using their free service for years..  fuck photobucket.. lol

Cavebear

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on September 09, 2017, 04:31:14 AM
Probably had to do with the details of your construction CB..
Few chairs have diagonal parts. They do however have curved back legs which helps distribute weight better. There's a lot of little details in chair construction most people just don't know about.  I use 3/8" oak dowels, 2 in each joint about 3/4 inch deep in each side, but you can use tenon and mortise or similar to dowels, floating tenons..

Anyway, I've finally settled on making weed stash boxes and have a logo I'm going to burn into the tops of them.
They're just simple hardwood boxes with simple,  straightforward dado joinery. The selling point really isn't the box itself, it's the logo and the idea of them being weed stash boxes or as my logo says, Weedstache boxes.. Easy to assemble and strong enough to hold dried marijuana.. lol
I'd post a picture, but that fucking image sharing service decided to shit all over everyone who has been using their free service for years..  fuck photobucket.. lol

Maybe I should have specified that two 200 pound people jumped up and landed on the porch swing I built at the same time.  I wasn't prepared for THAT!

Still it was a failure.