News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Woodworking

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, February 13, 2016, 05:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Clamp board/rack is pretty easy to make. Use plenty of glue and nails and remember to use wedges for support.  Clamps get heavy when you have about 30...

Here's what I meant by wedges.. Just support all that weight.
That's made from old crap furniture mdf sitting out in the shed .
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Cavebear

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on December 02, 2016, 03:37:10 AM
Nice setup, but for my money I'll stick with affordable. Most of what Delta sells now days is all made in China with inferior materials. That's one company quickly losing customers. They used to make great stuff..the operative term there, used to.. If I ever buy an expensive table saw it'll be either Sawstop or Powermatic, but for now it's pre 80s craftsman with the align-a-rip fence..

Yeah, but I bought mine 15 years ago US-made and added a router extension and Incra fence and on lockable wheels.  A real jewel!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

AllPurposeAtheist

Something to consider CV when making your clamp rack and a lesson I had to learn the hard way is if you make one with slots like mine for individual clamps (I have two rows of slots, top and bottom) cut both the top and bottom slots together so they match. If you don't you'll likely end up with a situation where the clamps bind and don't fit well. Also don't make the bracing like this POS I first made because it'll sag to the weight of the clamps.
You can see how by not cutting the slots in pairs things just don't line up right. It might be ok if you measure perfect, but who does that right the first time every time? Ha!   

Yeah, I know..measure twice, cut once and all that, but in the real world we forget..
DAMMIT! Compressor kicked in at 4am and scared the bajebus out of me! 

Johan

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on December 02, 2016, 03:20:40 AM

My son and I are going to give a go at supplying various apartment complex management companies with custom cabinetry.. Not fancy stuff, but good quality at better prices. One item that just one company buys runs about $600 and we can build them for about $38 in material.. They currently buy around 10 a month, but they also manage 1000s of units in Ohio and the east coast..
Those are attractive numbers. If the competition is selling for $600 what to do you think your retail will be? And how much time will each one take?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

AllPurposeAtheist

They're not real complicated at all, but I figure at most an hour or two to make and that's if I have to build each one from scratch without a pattern at about $2-300 each  plus expenses. They've already told him they'll pay shipping which they already do. I don't even have to assemble them, just dry fit and ship. I can live with a few hundred bucks an hour. It beats fast food every single day of the year.

AllPurposeAtheist

https://miterset.myshopify.com  Something for my shopping list someday soon...  These little suckers are pretty amazingly accurate and simple..

Johan

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on December 06, 2016, 02:53:41 AM
They're not real complicated at all, but I figure at most an hour or two to make and that's if I have to build each one from scratch without a pattern at about $2-300 each  plus expenses. They've already told him they'll pay shipping which they already do. I don't even have to assemble them, just dry fit and ship. I can live with a few hundred bucks an hour. It beats fast food every single day of the year.
That's a very respectable profit margin. I hope it comes together for you.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Johan

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on December 06, 2016, 02:55:37 AM
https://miterset.myshopify.com  Something for my shopping list someday soon...  These little suckers are pretty amazingly accurate and simple..
I haven't seen those before. Simple and accurate. Brilliant.

Cavebear

Oh man, shipping unassembled repeat-cut parts is great!

AllPurposeAtheist

Well, the company my son works for nixed the notion of me building their stuff. They'd rather pay double for inferior products.. Oh well..
In the meantime I'm working on developing a few other items that seem to sell very well for a few other people I know who sell on Edsy and other venues..I'm also working on a few alternative sharpening products to sell to other woodworking enthusiasts..
I found that I can buy a 6"x2" diamond sharpening stone for about $6-8 all day long, but go from 6x2 to 8x3 and the price jumps to about $60-80... Ten times the price for just 2" more? That's crazy, but it's what they get away with.
Meanwhile I found a company that sells the same type of diamond coated material in larger sheets, but it's not connected to any kind of backing plate so it's thinner and less usable so...I figured I might just capture a segment of the market by assembling the various grits to my own material and selling it for much less than the companies selling for the high dollar. I can get 7x2.5 sheets and get several different grits from 120 up to about 3000 grit for around $6 which I can fasten to a hard, flat surface for much less than $60-80..
Right now I have an order for 5 or 6 grits to test out and if they perform as good as the expensive brands I'm in business..  It hasn't arrived so I'm still waiting, but I'm cautiously optimistic..

Cavebear

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on February 15, 2017, 01:02:40 AM
Well, the company my son works for nixed the notion of me building their stuff. They'd rather pay double for inferior products.. Oh well..
In the meantime I'm working on developing a few other items that seem to sell very well for a few other people I know who sell on Edsy and other venues..I'm also working on a few alternative sharpening products to sell to other woodworking enthusiasts..
I found that I can buy a 6"x2" diamond sharpening stone for about $6-8 all day long, but go from 6x2 to 8x3 and the price jumps to about $60-80... Ten times the price for just 2" more? That's crazy, but it's what they get away with.
Meanwhile I found a company that sells the same type of diamond coated material in larger sheets, but it's not connected to any kind of backing plate so it's thinner and less usable so...I figured I might just capture a segment of the market by assembling the various grits to my own material and selling it for much less than the companies selling for the high dollar. I can get 7x2.5 sheets and get several different grits from 120 up to about 3000 grit for around $6 which I can fasten to a hard, flat surface for much less than $60-80..
Right now I have an order for 5 or 6 grits to test out and if they perform as good as the expensive brands I'm in business..  It hasn't arrived so I'm still waiting, but I'm cautiously optimistic..

I'm a bit confusing here.  Are you proposing a new business and wanting investors?  Or just upset at your son?

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on December 06, 2016, 02:55:37 AM
I finally purchased a Miterset standard version.. This little fucker is amazing.. Before I could never quite get a perfect 45° angle cut, but now it's really easy even with the old miter gauge that came with my old crapman table saw.. It's worth every penny especially if you're cutting expensive lumber such as walnut or other hardwood..For that matter it's just about replaced my crosscut sled.. Before I could never get a perfect 90° angle with the miter gauge either.. Now it's perfect every time.. 

My latest creation..a towel rack..

The bathroom lighting is horrible so it shows every single flaw, but the 45° angles are dead on..

AllPurposeAtheist

Just for arguments sake..The walnut lumber I purchased for this towel rack cost over $70. The stuff ain't cheap..The miterset was $65. If I hadn't used the miterset I'd have likely wasted a few feet of lumber trying to zero in on the 45° angles or I wouldn't have bothered trying. I got the angles right the first time with almost no waste. That's worth the $65..
Next up, probably some segmented bowls. I'll practice with cheap lumber first then if all goes well more expensive hardwood..

AllPurposeAtheist

Woot! I dropped down $200 for an almost new Ridgid 14" bandsaw. They have a bad rap for vibration, but the guy I got it from fixed that issue.

This is a game changer for things I've been wanting to do..Snazzy table and chair legs, rocking chairs, resawing and so forth.
I've become a big fan of craigslist for hunting for tools and equipment. Just keep looking every time you are looking for a good deal.  I've been waiting over a year now for a great deal on a bandsaw and finally got it.. That's birch wood,  about as hard as maple and it cut through it like warm butter..
I'm a happy guy now.
For those going through depression you might want to consider taking up woodworking.  It'll keep your mind occupied and give you a decent sense of accomplishment.

Sorginak

I commend any artist who creates with his hands.  Being an artist is one of the harshest professions in this world.