News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Woodworking

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, February 13, 2016, 05:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Woohoo! I finally got a lathe. It's an oldie,but goodie, an old cast iron Craftsman probably made in the 40s..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

Quote from: Johan on September 19, 2016, 06:56:28 AM
Not much of a woodworking project, but technically it counts I guess. The old mailbox post got hit by a drunk last winter and we've had a temporary thing cemented into a 5gal bucket ever since. Finally got around to doing something more permanent.

It's 6x6 with a bit of 4x4 for the angled support. Some grooved 2x2 holds the address sign and that's a solar light on top. Not bad for a quickie project.

I made it look kinda like a cross just so the locals won't suspect they have heathens living in the neighborhood.

Johan

Quote from: SGOS on October 04, 2016, 06:03:22 AM

Nice! I'm going into production. The price just went up $450 and I bet they still sell like hotcakes!
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

SGOS

Quote from: Johan on October 04, 2016, 07:03:52 PM
Nice! I'm going into production. The price just went up $450 and I bet they still sell like hotcakes!

Yep, price it high so you can advertise, "Be the envy of your neighbors, and score 'get into Heaven' coupons while you're at it.  Comes with a certificate of authenticity."

AllPurposeAtheist

Not a bad week for me. I got a old used lathe for $100, an air compressor for about $120, an air nailer for $22 and a brand spanking new rip fence for the table saw for $115.
Had I bought all this stuff brand new from the usual sources at full retail I could have easily spent upwards of several thousand bucks, but I got it all for just over $400 after taxes and accessories..
I didn't figure in the price of air hose and fittings, boxes of air nailer nails, hinges for the lathe, gasoline to go get it all, etc., but all in all not a bad week..
My spiffy new rip fence..

If you want a pretty damn nice table saw consider a used craftsman in the 113.xxxxxxx series and the fence from searspartsdirect for $115. You can get a pretty decent used craftsman saw for around $100 or so and add the aftermarket fence, $115 or spend several hundred for a new saw at home depot that's a piece of crap. My suggestion for anyone wanting a decent saw is the used route and beef it up.. In fact I might just start buying up used craftsman saws and adding the fence to resell. I've seen a few for sale with the addon fences selling for $500 and up.. I haven't seen one going for under 500 yet..

Cavebear

I have a fish with brass street number hanging from my mailbox.  Never thought of a religious connection,   Might have to change that.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Johan

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on October 06, 2016, 09:36:50 AM

My spiffy new rip fence..

If you want a pretty damn nice table saw consider a used craftsman in the 113.xxxxxxx series and the fence from searspartsdirect for $115. You can get a pretty decent used craftsman saw for around $100 or so and add the aftermarket fence, $115 or spend several hundred for a new saw at home depot that's a piece of crap. My suggestion for anyone wanting a decent saw is the used route and beef it up.. In fact I might just start buying up used craftsman saws and adding the fence to resell. I've seen a few for sale with the addon fences selling for $500 and up.. I haven't seen one going for under 500 yet..
An new aftermarket fence can take a so so table saw and turn it into a viable furniture grade shop tool. What brand did you get?

My first saw was an old Ridgid brand that I picked up from Craigslist. It was a great saw and I loved everything about it except the cast iron top. My shop tends to stay damp in the summer so I was constantly battling surface rust on the cast iron. I sold it and picked up a granite top Ridgid model from craigslist. It was essentially the same exact saw as my first one except it had a granite top that wouldn't rust or warp. But the fence design was completely different and completely crap. My first Ridgid saw and an awesome fence design that was dead on square and fairly easy to dial in accurately.

The granite top saw had a knock off of a biesemeyer type design but with some poorly implemented cost cutting changes that rendered the fence about useless for anything other than extremely rough cutting. I finally broke down and bought a Vega aftermarket fence for it. Its like night and day what that saw can do now.

One of these days I'm going to build a drop-down outfeed table on the back of it but otherwise I wouldn't change a thing.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

AllPurposeAtheist

I got the Sears Align-a-rip mainly because of cost. It's not as accurate as some aftermarket fences, but the difference between it and the one that came with the saw is the difference between Franklin Roosevelt and Donald Trumpster fire.. I didn't have to drill any holes or tap anything.  I asked around a bunch of different woodworking sites. Turns out that quite a few production shops use it and seem very happy with it and it's about a quarter of the price of a lot of other aftermarket fences..
I have an older Sears slotted aluminum top. I don't really like it much, but on the other hand it doesn't rust so there's that trade off.. Right now I'm using my workbench as the outfeed and it's ok, but because of space limitations I don't really have room for a separate outfeed. I'd love to make one to extend the miter slots and still might someday if I can find the space for it. I use several types of different sleds for different applications..occasionally they want to fall off the edge if I'm cutting something heavy..
I read quite a bit about granite tops. Some guys love them and some not so much.
If I ever get the money together I'll probably get a sawstop model to save my fingers,  but I've only nicked my finger once with the blade. That didn't feel too spiffy.. 

AllPurposeAtheist

So contrary to popular belief Jesus wasn't a capenter, but a mail man? Who knew?

Johan

Space for outfeed is an issue for me as well. Don't ask me to find the link now, but I stumbled on a page once where a guy with the same saw I have built a collapsable out feed for his. It looked like a fairly simple project. A simple 1x3 frame with an MDF top. Attached to the rear of the saw with a hinge and then a couple fold under legs on the rear edge of the table. When its folded down, the saw takes up no more space than it already does. But when its time to use the saw, fold out the table and drop the legs and instant out feed table. Like I said, this was an example someone did on the saw I have. But I see no reason why you couldn't do it just about any roll-around table saw. The only tricky bit is to jigger the framing and hinge position so the table top ends up far enough out to allow space for the rear fence rail and ends up at the same height as the saw table when you fold it out.

Now that I'm writing this, I'm realizing I need to stop putting this project off and do it ASAP. Having no real out feed solution is an issue almost every time I use the saw. My current project is building a couple clone high end recording microphones so I'm not really in woodworking mode right now. But this out feed mod will definitely make a nice little weekend project this winter.

Cavebear

I have a big Delta 220V tablesaw with an extension, a router extension on the other side and a wonderful Inca fence on side runners.  On lockable wheels.  LOL!

AllPurposeAtheist

Built a hinged clamp rack the other day.  It ain't pretty, but gets them organized and up off the floor and workbench..

I'm pretty sure that by next year this time I'll have to expand it or rebuild it to accommodate twice as many.
My son and I are going to give a go at supplying various apartment complex management companies with custom cabinetry.. Not fancy stuff, but good quality at better prices. One item that just one company buys runs about $600 and we can build them for about $38 in material.. They currently buy around 10 a month, but they also manage 1000s of units in Ohio and the east coast..

Cavebear

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on December 02, 2016, 03:20:40 AM
Built a hinged clamp rack the other day.  It ain't pretty, but gets them organized and up off the floor and workbench..

I'm pretty sure that by next year this time I'll have to expand it or rebuild it to accommodate twice as many.
My son and I are going to give a go at supplying various apartment complex management companies with custom cabinetry.. Not fancy stuff, but good quality at better prices. One item that just one company buys runs about $600 and we can build them for about $38 in material.. They currently buy around 10 a month, but they also manage 1000s of units in Ohio and the east coast..

I really need to make a decent clamp board!  That's a good one.  I have all mine upside down clamped to the workbench overhang.

AllPurposeAtheist

I also built some new cabinets for the shop.. Again, not pretty,  but sturdy and gets stuff off the ground and tables.. Removable with french cleats. Yup, one is upside down and apt to remain upside down..

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Cavebear on November 11, 2016, 05:44:46 AM
I have a big Delta 220V tablesaw with an extension, a router extension on the other side and a wonderful Inca fence on side runners.  On lockable wheels.  LOL!
Nice setup, but for my money I'll stick with affordable. Most of what Delta sells now days is all made in China with inferior materials. That's one company quickly losing customers. They used to make great stuff..the operative term there, used to.. If I ever buy an expensive table saw it'll be either Sawstop or Powermatic, but for now it's pre 80s craftsman with the align-a-rip fence..