News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Woodworking

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, February 13, 2016, 05:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Johan on July 19, 2016, 08:00:16 PM
Looks fabulous. What's the plan for finish? Paint stain or just clear?
I'm leaving it plain to let my daughter decide later on..
I've reached an impasse of irrational fear when it comes to finally assembly. The pivot bolts fit very tight with the bearings and I'm afraid that the holes in the support frame aren't going to line up properly so its been 3 days just setting there daring me to make the next move .. I hate that part of assembly of a project where I'm unsure if everything is going to line up square. It either will or it won't ,but I have the irrational fear that it won't no matter how well I've assembled and planned and designed..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

Ok..pencil and a ruler fixed my fears.. it works..
https://youtu.be/9dnF7qgQzvE

Johan

Looks like everything lined up ok after all. Very nice. Your daughter is going to love it. Big time.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

AllPurposeAtheist

Thanks johan.. It's got a lot of nicks and dings in it being pine and made of 2x4s, but it'll hold together and rock nice and smooth.. What I really like is it only cost about 15 bucks altogether.. if it was hardwood it would have been more like 100 bucks just for the lumber..

AllPurposeAtheist

Now all it needs is a crying, popping, peeing baby..It looks about half the size in the living room as it does in the work shop.. I have no idea why..

AllPurposeAtheist

So I got another new toy! It's a Ridgid R4331 13" Thickness planer I got on CL for $200 up in Charlotte NC. It retails around $375-550 and is pretty close to being brand new except there's no warranty, but for $200 I can live with it. 
This is going to save me untold hours planing things down and I just got a job to produce 5 new table tops for a local restaurant so right off the top it's going to pay for itself..

I'm going to build a foldable outfeed table and I really need to set up a dust collection system someday, but for now it'll work as is..
Next on my list is either a bandsaw or a wood lathe, but I'm more than likely going to build the lathe from parts..

You know..I never did get around to making that wooden geared clock yet, but this is one step closer to getting started on that project..

Johan

Nice. That will make many projects much quicker and easier.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

AllPurposeAtheist

b
Quote from: Johan on August 26, 2016, 06:18:28 AM
Nice. That will make many projects much quicker and easier.
That's the plan..
I made this table top last week and had to hand plane and sand it.. it took me about 6 hours of work in 95°+ temperature.

With the planer I'm thinking more like about 15 minutes plus about 5 minutes of sanding.. Quite a bit of difference I'd say.. The only real issue I can think of is I'm going to have to learn to be a bit more patient waiting for glue to set up.  I really don't want to have to dig into the planer to scrape out semi wet glue.. lol

DeltaEpsilon

This fall I am going to build a double necked guitar like the one Jimmy Page uses (Gibson EDS-1275). I am quite looking forward to it.

@AllPurposeAtheist Have you ever built a guitar?
The fireworks in my head don't ever seem to stop

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: DeltaEpsilon on August 27, 2016, 02:03:07 PM
This fall I am going to build a double necked guitar like the one Jimmy Page uses (Gibson EDS-1275). I am quite looking forward to it.

@AllPurposeAtheist Have you ever built a guitar?
I have not, but did think about it..Electric guitars are much easier to build than accoustic varieties..
I'd kind of like to get into doing inlay work with guitars and such. There's a guy on one of the wood forums I post on who does some pretty amazing inlay work..To bad he's into the churchy thing. Obviously he's blessed to be so talented.. 

AllPurposeAtheist

One of about 15 doors I'm making to retrofit the RV before we sell it.

Johan

Not much of a woodworking project, but technically it counts I guess. The old mailbox post got hit by a drunk last winter and we've had a temporary thing cemented into a 5gal bucket ever since. Finally got around to doing something more permanent.

It's 6x6 with a bit of 4x4 for the angled support. Some grooved 2x2 holds the address sign and that's a solar light on top. Not bad for a quickie project.

I made it look kinda like a cross just so the locals won't suspect they have heathens living in the neighborhood.

DeltaEpsilon

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on September 19, 2016, 05:26:07 AM
I have not, but did think about it..Electric guitars are much easier to build than accoustic varieties..
I'd kind of like to get into doing inlay work with guitars and such. There's a guy on one of the wood forums I post on who does some pretty amazing inlay work..To bad he's into the churchy thing. Obviously he's blessed to be so talented..

Ya. Alex Lifeson (Rush) and David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) are two very talented guitarists that are atheists. Alex Lifeson owns a Gibson EDS-1275. Besides God must have had to forgive Jimmy Page for a shit load of sins :).
The fireworks in my head don't ever seem to stop

AllPurposeAtheist

Didja use a genuine mortise and tennon joint to hold it together or didja fake it?  Real men hand chisel motises and hand cut tennons with their bare fucking teeth! 
I have dentures so I use a saw.. lol

Johan

I totally cheated. No mortise or tennons, just a basic cross lap joint. And even with that joint I cheated. I probably coulda and shoulda tried my hand at chisel and hammer to make the pockets. Instead I borrowed my neighbors 10" sliding miter saw and used a depth stop to carve out the pockets one blade kerf at a time. I did use a hammer and chisel a bit to square things up and dial in the final size of the pockets.

The angled support uses no joinery. Just cut on 45's and glued and screwed. Even the pocket joint is glued and screwed with 4 stainless lags.