Main Menu

Woodworking

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, February 13, 2016, 05:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 14, 2016, 05:43:30 PM
Shit hoopens.
Well SHOOT! 
Can't kid me man.. Shoot is shit with 2 O's..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

I must be slipping..I made it through 2 new mortise holes WITHOUT chopping into a single finger or thumb..

No fear though..2 to go plus 4 tenons..  Have faith..

AllPurposeAtheist

Just in case anyone is even thinking about buying a sharpening stone from bestsharpeningstones.com DON'T.. They ripped me off and apparently several other people who do woodworking. I filed a dispute with my bank, but still out the $55 in the meantime.. Fuckers..

AllPurposeAtheist

I finally got around to fixing the leg vise on the old bench.. it ain't pretty, but it grips great and does the job I pay it to do.. Total cost.. $4 for lag bolts and I think $8 for the 5/8th threaded rod and nuts..

Gawdzilla Sama

Do you have the number for the fire department painted on the wall?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 15, 2016, 03:27:44 PM
Do you have the number for the fire department painted on the wall?
I probably should.  Sylvia came out and lit up a shaving just to see how fast they burn.
I should sweep it all up, but those shavings are great for standing on instead of bare concrete..Saves the ankles from concrete pain.. You know about that pain...right? 

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on April 15, 2016, 03:56:11 PM
I probably should.  Sylvia came out and lit up a shaving just to see how fast they burn.
I should sweep it all up, but those shavings are great for standing on instead of bare concrete..Saves the ankles from concrete pain..
Get one of those foam backed kitchen mats.
QuoteYou know about that pain...right? 
"Went to sleep" in S.E.A., woke up in San Diego. Three months in hospital, two years physical therapy. Yeah, I know a little about pain.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

I thought about one of those mats,but I've worked in plenty of kitchens over the years..They just never seem to feel right to my feet..
Pain is very subjective. I have a low pain threshold and a high tolerance for pain medication so it typically goes untreated for the most part.  That kind of sucks.. I wish it were the other way around..

Johan

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html
I've been using these for years. They're not expensive and they hold up great. I will not stand at a workbench without them.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

aitm

Since I know you all love stories about pain, and especially about me being in pain, I shall give you this delightful story:

The date is unimportant as Sheldon would say, so was this sentence.

I was replacing the deck on a pontoon boat I bought and did not have any good tools to cut off the bolts that held down the plywood so I was using a chisel to cut around the bolts so I could remove the plywood and cut the bolts off later when I got the parts. As I was using the chisel, I would have to use a hammer to pull the chisel back out of the plywood as it is pretty damn hard to just pull a chisel out of wood. So any-hoo….over the course of an hour or so the plastic handle started to slowly separate from the metal chisels ferrel.

Eventually it must have separated at least a quarter inch and when I set the chisel in place for another hammer, the skin between my thumb and first finger somehow slipped inside the gap and low and behold when I hit that fucker with the hammer I found myself not only in a great deal of pain, but trapped outside the reach of my hammer to pull the chisel back out! And I do mean pretty intensive pain so that I was writhing around the boat trying and quite willing to rip the skin to get out of the trap but it had too much skin, I would need to have had a knife which alas I did not, and frankly I had a hard time thinking at that time.

Luck, such as it was, was at least pitying me as a guy driving down the road saw me in quite an elaborate dance and figured out I needed help. Knowing that even pulling out the chisel the fact that my skin would still be trapped painfully between the ferrel and handle he grabbed the razor outside my grasp and asked me if I wanted him to proceed.  I told him in very kind language to cut me loose, and……by golly luck indeed smiled at my unfortunate condition and gave me a rescuer quite competent with a utility blade and though one might think that cutting off a nice chunk of skin might hurt….it was indeed a great relief. For a second or two……

Very funny in retro…whatever that word is…but not so much on that day.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: aitm on April 16, 2016, 02:16:55 PM
Since I know you all love stories about pain, and especially about me being in pain, I shall give you this delightful story:

The date is unimportant as Sheldon would say, so was this sentence.

I was replacing the deck on a pontoon boat I bought and did not have any good tools to cut off the bolts that held down the plywood so I was using a chisel to cut around the bolts so I could remove the plywood and cut the bolts off later when I got the parts. As I was using the chisel, I would have to use a hammer to pull the chisel back out of the plywood as it is pretty damn hard to just pull a chisel out of wood. So any-hoo….over the course of an hour or so the plastic handle started to slowly separate from the metal chisels ferrel.

Eventually it must have separated at least a quarter inch and when I set the chisel in place for another hammer, the skin between my thumb and first finger somehow slipped inside the gap and low and behold when I hit that fucker with the hammer I found myself not only in a great deal of pain, but trapped outside the reach of my hammer to pull the chisel back out! And I do mean pretty intensive pain so that I was writhing around the boat trying and quite willing to rip the skin to get out of the trap but it had too much skin, I would need to have had a knife which alas I did not, and frankly I had a hard time thinking at that time.

Luck, such as it was, was at least pitying me as a guy driving down the road saw me in quite an elaborate dance and figured out I needed help. Knowing that even pulling out the chisel the fact that my skin would still be trapped painfully between the ferrel and handle he grabbed the razor outside my grasp and asked me if I wanted him to proceed.  I told him in very kind language to cut me loose, and……by golly luck indeed smiled at my unfortunate condition and gave me a rescuer quite competent with a utility blade and though one might think that cutting off a nice chunk of skin might hurt….it was indeed a great relief. For a second or two……

Very funny in retro…whatever that word is…but not so much on that day.
You really should reconsider and become a shop class teacher..  That's almost as bad as me being stuck in a dumpster with half a glass window stuck in my elbow with absolutely no way to break the glass except to jam my elbow deeper into the glass till it broke ..lucky for me glass does eventually break, but it breaks slowly when it has your arm jammed between it and the window frame in a dumster on the weekend 3 miles from the nearest anything.. I still think about that day and wonder how the fuck I got my arm in there to begin with.  Nothing like getting stuck in pain for several hours..

stromboli

Been impaled a few times. Once by a car..... Blunt force trauma by an asphalt roller when 14. Impaled myself on a barbed wire fence on a motorcycle. Ripped my bicep tendon clean in two when working as an aircraft welder. Thought my last name was Schwarzeneger and tried to pick up a 1 ton ford real axle; don't do that.

The main reason I learned first aid was to save myself, truth be known. Rule, stated once before; don't work construction if you are accident prone. 

AllPurposeAtheist

I've been lucky that I have never had a serious injury on the job or even at home and I've been around a shitload of people who have. Funny thing is that the people who tell me that I don't pay attention to things are the people who are always cutting off body parts on a regular basis. I've pulled guy out of places where they probably should have died, but I still haven't been nailed by anything that required more than a few stitches.
The most dangerous was when I was rigging heavy machinery and could have very easily been crushed to death many times over, but I was the smartass who insisted on having equipment that was in new or almost new condition and having the safety guards in place. Screw craining things around with a worn out sling ESPECIALLY when the thing being held up by the sling can kill you in a split second..
And yet I have wood shavings all over the place.. I can run if the house is on fire..It's tough to run with 8 tons of steel falling on you..

AllPurposeAtheist

After looking at hundreds, perhaps thousands of different workbench examples I'm struck at how many people seem to think that their bench should be more of a work of art than an actual functional tool for getting the job done.
Personally I could care less about what mine looks like as long as it's sturdy, square and able to withstand whatever abuse that may come its way.  The leg vise I made ain't pretty and anyone who thinks that the looks are more important than the function is more than welcome to get their dick caught in it then tell me that it's just not pretty enough..

AllPurposeAtheist

Yey! Got the legs all built and ready to start building the tops and aprons..
I know..just not pretty enough..dammit! I'll be forever ashamed of myself for the lack of aesthetics..