News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Woodworking

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, February 13, 2016, 05:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: aitm on March 26, 2016, 09:59:32 AM
Sure looks like birch to me, but birch isn't particularly as hard as you make it to be.
I didn't think about birch.. It just might be.. The top and drawer fronts are different woods than the rest of the case. The case has a much more reddish tint to it almost like cedar, but harder.  The only problem I have with the whole thing is the side panels which are some sort of old paper-like material with a layer of veneer. The back right leg is split and a chunk about 6 inches broken off which exposes the panel. That corner will be in the corner of the bedroom never to be seen by human eyes again..lol
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

Other than Festool does anyone know of any company making an electric inline sander? Most inline sanders are pneumatic and require a pretty beefy compressor to run as they suck up a lot of air.
In case you're wondering an inline sander runs in just two directions, forward and backward,  not orbital.  Most are made for doing auto body work. If I still had a 5 hp compressor it would be a no brainer,but I'm not about to invest $600 just to run one sander once in awhile..

Edit.. HOLY CRAP! The few I could find run about $600 and up..On the other hand a pneumatic inline sander can be had for around $50 brand new.. Of course those are the cheapo models. I had several pneumatic inline sanders. Maybe the compressor isn't such a bad idea after all..

AllPurposeAtheist

And here it is,  transformed from fugly coats of nasty ass paint to a nice coat of linseed oil over a walnut Danish oil.. I think it came out pretty good except the few spots with deep gouges and the bad corner..

I'm going to put some sort of insert inside the handles instead of trying to clean all the paint out of all 12. Maybe some sort of flat black material..

aitm

That grain certainly looks like birch. Looks nice
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Johan

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on March 26, 2016, 12:31:20 PM
Maybe the compressor isn't such a bad idea after all..
A compressor is always a good idea.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

aitm

bigger compressors are ALWAYS better
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

Dammit..nothing to do in the shop now besides wait for the linseed oil to cure a bit.. I suppose I could clean up out here and make myself useful..
Nahhh.. A messy shop is a busy shop even when there's nothing to do..
Problem I have with a compressor is A..no room for it B lack of $600± just sitting around waiting to burn a hole in my pocket and C Then I'd have to paint Sylvia's car after I fucked up the hood last year..

By the way aitm..thanks for the linseed oil suggestion awhile back.
Here's a good bit of information about how linseed oil works..
http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?2793-finishing-with-boiled-linsed-oil

AllPurposeAtheist

FUCK FUCK AND DOUBLE FUCK! I hit a hidden nail in some old door jam wood I was planing down for another project so now my favorite planing iron has a nice, fat chip right dead smack in the middle . I am fixing to start building a workbench and going to be planing a lot of stuff so instead I'll be hand grinding the iron for a while..

AllPurposeAtheist

Made some nifty bar clamps for under a buck each.. Scrap lumber (old door jam) leftover dowel rod and some threaded rod.. used a drill and tap .. works great and very adjustable for length and thickness..

I need to get ambitious and make about 10 more of them..I started working on the laminated bench top. Planing down 2X4s is lots of uhh..fun.I have about 20 to do..

AllPurposeAtheist

My makeshift leg vise crapped out today, but it was just a 1/2 inch steel rod threaded through the leg of the workbench to begin with. The wood gave way to the threads so I rebuilt it with 5/8 rod into a steel extender nut mortised into a 2x4. It ain't going anywhere for the time being..

AllPurposeAtheist

My fancy schmancy bar clamp in action..

And my fancy schmancy leg clamp..

AllPurposeAtheist

I finally got started on building my new work bench and hopefully this one will last the rest of my lifetime.. Who knows..Maybe one of my grandkids will get it and take good care of it after I'm dead and gone.

This is just part of one end. I still have 4 more mortises to chop and the rest of the tenons for 8 total.  The top is going to be 5 feet long, 32" wide and 3 1/3 deep with either 8 or 12 inch aprons. I thought about making it 6 feet, but I don't really have the space and if I need more bench space I can always built another or add a fold down section..
You can't see it, but I screwed up the first mortise. I didn't flip the board end to end when I was marking the mortise so I was off 1/16th in two directions so instead of a 1/2 inch mortise it wound up 5/8ths..no fun trying to cut 1/16th out of the inside of a 3 inch deep mortise..
I'm modeling it after something very similar to the one in the picture..

After that's done I'm ripping out the old bench that was built by the previous owners of the house here. It's ok except it's nailed 2x4s with a plywood top and very little space for shelving because it's butted up against the wall and too wide and tall to use the wall space behind it.

AllPurposeAtheist

Smacked the same finger with a mallet that I almost chopped off with the table saw..  Ouch! 

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on April 07, 2016, 06:10:09 PM
Smacked the same finger with a mallet that I almost chopped off with the table saw..  Ouch! 
Mr. Finger has filed a restraining order against you, Mr. APA. You can approaching no closer than 500 yards to Mr. Finger.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 07, 2016, 06:18:14 PM
Mr. Finger has filed a restraining order against you, Mr. APA. You can approaching no closer than 500 yards to Mr. Finger.
Probably a good idea..lol

One end done.  It ain't gonna be pretty, but it ain't gonna just fall apart first time I hit something besides my finger with a mallet..