News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Woodworking

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, February 13, 2016, 05:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

So I'm making various planter boxes to go around the yard.  I'm giving some thought to seeing if I can sell enough of these to pay a few bills here and there.
My personal favorite is the tenon and mortise version though some might like the box joint model better.  The tenon model is stronger and doesn't require any glue or nails or screws..just a wooden peg here and there..

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Johan

The mortice and tenon version might be the better box from a technical standpoint. But I think people will buy the shit out of the box joint version if you get the price point right. So the question is can you produce them in quantity for a cost, including your time, that allows you sell them at a profit?

Edit to add, the mortice tenon version does look great too. I think it might sell very well with a nice stain on it whereas you could probably sell the box joint unfinished or stained. Also, have you considered doing a mortice and tenon version with tapered sides i.e. smaller dimensions at the base than at the top? Add a few degrees of taper to the sides, put a good finish on it and I bet wouldn't be able to make them fast enough.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

AllPurposeAtheist

The angles are time killers, but yeah, I might do that, but they won't be compound angles..Here it is with a slapping of linseed oil..I put pegs on the tenons to hold them tighter and pegs in the base.. I suppose if I'm going to sell them I might learn to get rid of the pencil lines before oiling them down..:lol:
I can bring the price down with the time by setting up a few jigs to speed things up and maybe using a router for the motises.. Then it's just a matter of cleaning up the corners with a chisel..

Something else I may do is to extend the tenons out an inch or so, drill through and add a dowel rod as a handle.. I was going to do that with this one, but I had already cut it and didn't want to make it shorter..

drunkenshoe

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on March 20, 2016, 09:53:20 AM
That's the only reason for this thread.. Warmth and world peace..  I'm secretly preparing for my run to become the next Miss America..  :lol:

LOL OK I meant inner peace. Bad English.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: drunkenshoe on March 20, 2016, 03:47:51 PM
LOL OK I meant inner peace. Bad English.
I knew what you meant.. The truth is I'd rather be a smart ass than a dumb ass.. Some people might debate which one I am, but I'm clinging to being a smart ass..

Johan

I don't think you'd need any compound angles. Just put some bevel cuts on the base piece to set the angle of the uprights. The really hard part I think would be cutting the tenon cheeks on an angle.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

AllPurposeAtheist

The fence in the backyard looks pretty bad at least the caps..old and rotted so.... a  upcoming project is to replace these old caps

with something similar to this

except cleaned up a bunch and painted and planted with flowers for fence caps..
This one was just a prototype to get an idea of how it might look. There are actually about 40 posts, only about 15 are where they can be seen without hunting behind bushes and trees.
I'm probably going to drill holes at an angle for drainage and tap in some 1/4 -3/8ths pvc tubing to keep the water from completely rotting the posts..

This yard is a never ending job just keeping it from turning back into a swamp..

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Johan on March 20, 2016, 06:12:06 PM
I don't think you'd need any compound angles. Just put some bevel cuts on the base piece to set the angle of the uprights. The really hard part I think would be cutting the tenon cheeks on an angle.
I thought just cutting the end pieces at angles and the tenons can be standard 90° cuts. As for the base I can just use the plane for whatever angle I want the sides to be.. I did a bunch of angled tenons and that's a bunch of practice and wasting of scraps to get right..
A 45° tenon for example is something like this..
and it goes into a straight 90° mortise.  I cut a bunch of them, but just couldn't seem to get the two angles to meet at the right place..I am always just a hair off, but I'll eventually get it someday, but not for planter boxes..

AllPurposeAtheist

So I'm in the process of refinishing an old dresser that has a bunch of concave and convex surfaces.  I'm using some citrus stripping gel which works pretty good for taking off the 6 layers of old paint, but it's the concave and convex surfaces that have me kind of stuck. I'm not quite sure what tools to use so that I don't end up digging into the wood.  Flat surfaces no problem..
Any suggestions?
And before you give me the PBS lecture about not refinishing old furniture that's all good and well if the piece is old enough and worth even thinking about dragging to their show.. I'm not and the dresser is just an old dresser that will never be worth more than the cost of the stripping gel.. Ok, maybe a few hundred bucks tops, but that's about it..

Edit: Disregard the above..twas written at about 3am when believe it or not I was actually tired.. Hard to believe it, but I too get tired just like you mere mortals..  What is the world coming to?

AllPurposeAtheist

Something not quite as fun as it appears at first glance is spending all day scraping about 6 layers of paint off of a dresser that's probably not worth the effort and spending the next 3 or so days sanding the whole thing down.. On the bright side the top has a pretty cool wood pattern. At first I thought it was pine, but it's way to hard for pine.. Any experienced eyes have a clue to what species of wood this might be?

At first I thought cherry then mahogany, but the top is just too light of color for either. It's not hard enough to be maple, but much to hard to be pine..

AllPurposeAtheist

Got the top, most of the front and 3 drawers of 6 sanded down pretty much..Still have 3 drawers, the rest of the front and both sides left to work on. I'm definitely tired of sand paper and all the dust it creates..This thing would have been much nicer if it was still square. The entire thing is bowed from left to right, but its still holding together pretty good and the drawers don't stick.. I'm looking forward to being done with this fucker.. I kind of wish I hadn't started it, but I'm more than half way through..No looking back now.. I'm going to swear off of being a fucking perfectionist..

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm officially really fucking tired of sanding wood.. 1.5 drawers left and the final sanding and done!  The final solution will be a coat of walnut stained Danish oil.. Sorry,  no Jews will be killed which probably makes Barach happy..

AllPurposeAtheist

Twas covered by about 6 layers of very ugly paint.. Almost there!

Johan

aitm

Sure looks like birch to me, but birch isn't particularly as hard as you make it to be.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust