News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Woodworking

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, February 13, 2016, 05:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Hint: The name would imply something to do with weaponry..

I'm getting rich on the interest of the million dollars* just waiting to be claimed! 

*Imaginary million dollars and deadline expires long before anyone ever comes up with the correct answer..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

I give up..nobody seems to have the right answer or perhaps nobody cares. (I suspect it's the latter)
Be that as it may the correct answer is a shooter or shooting board.  It's just three boards at right angles for the purpose of sqauring the edge of another board.. It can be any angle as well..
Now why don't they teach this stuff to every kid in school  or at least ol Norm should teach people about it, but Norm was bought up by Delta machinery long ago.. I guess there's no money in three boards anyone can nail together..

PopeyesPappy

I'd never have got it. I used to use one of these for that kind of thing...

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm a poor man Pappy so them fancy schmancy machines are out of my league..

Something I just saw on craigslist that I have a tough time buying and wouldn't even if I had the money..
QuoteSawstop is now the safest table saw on the market. It has a triggering device that electronicaly senses skin contact so if you bump the blade with your hand or finger the blade drops so it does not cut if any, not as badly as a regular table saw will.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/5393920502.html

My big question is who would ever even think about testing this to see if it actually works?
Oh yeah..just stick your finger in here and watch it not chop it off..
Woops! There seems to be a little quality control issue..

How does it tell the difference between skin and say...bone?  I mean if it'll cut right through hard maple who in their right mind is going to see if the claim is accurate?

Johan

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on March 02, 2016, 06:20:22 PM
I'm a poor man Pappy so them fancy schmancy machines are out of my league..

Something I just saw on craigslist that I have a tough time buying and wouldn't even if I had the money..
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/5393920502.html

My big question is who would ever even think about testing this to see if it actually works?
Oh yeah..just stick your finger in here and watch it not chop it off..
Woops! There seems to be a little quality control issue..

How does it tell the difference between skin and say...bone?  I mean if it'll cut right through hard maple who in their right mind is going to see if the claim is accurate?
I don't own one but from what I understand they actually do work really well. The downside is there is a very expensive internal part that destroys itself when the protection system is triggered. If I had access to one, I wouldn't hesitate to offer one of my fingers to test it. But only if someone else was paying the bill to get it running again.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Johan on March 02, 2016, 07:39:38 PM
I don't own one but from what I understand they actually do work really well. The downside is there is a very expensive internal part that destroys itself when the protection system is triggered. If I had access to one, I wouldn't hesitate to offer one of my fingers to test it. But only if someone else was paying the bill to get it running again.
the safer way then is to use a feather board.. I can't say I would ever trust that it did or didn't work.. a couple thousand for a maybe?  Not I said the octopus.. I need those fingers..

Johan

Push sticks and feather boards are a requirement no matter what table saw you're using. The difference is that saw protects you from your own stupid moments. The problem with them isn't failing to detect and trigger when flesh finds the blade, they do that impeccably. The problem is false positives. They work by detecting certain electrical potential that always exists in abundance in every living creature. Most wood working wood is extremely dry and people are chock full of water and the electrical potential that goes with it. So much so that a machine can easily detect the difference without even breaking the skin to get through to the wet part.

So they work great right up till that day when you need to rip a piece of pressure treated you just bought for some outdoor project and that particular piece of pressure treated happens to have a shit ton of water in it. As soon as it touches the blade, you're out several hundred dollars to get your saw running again.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

AllPurposeAtheist

Ha! Well so much for using pallet wood. I have an old pallet I ripped up not long ago that if you didn't know better you would think that it was soaked in turpentine for a month. A lot of the pallets around here are made from green wood. I'd guess that about 60-70% of the trees in these parts are pine and there's no shortage of saw mills in South Carolina.
It's funny because the ad I saw that in was the Columbia craigslist..

Johan

Yeah definitely not the saw you'd want if you're using wet wood. I believe they're very popular with high school woodshops which tend to use only dry wood and tend to have lots of kids who have no business running a table saw running a table saw.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Johan on March 03, 2016, 07:24:48 PM
Yeah definitely not the saw you'd want if you're using wet wood. I believe they're very popular with high school woodshops which tend to use only dry wood and tend to have lots of kids who have no business running a table saw running a table saw.
Did you just get off the bus from 1972ville? When was the last time you even heard of a high school offering woodshop as part of the curriculum? They don't even teach cursive writing in school anymore.
They probably should teach woodworking in schools, but the insurance rates to have teenage kids around equipment that can rip hands off went out with the dinosaurs.
Then again it's been awhile since I was in woodshop class myself. We still used sandpaper back in my day..
There is a damned good argument to be made that kids definitely can benefit from wood shop and other related classes.  You can teach math to kids all day long and at the end of the day if they have no place to apply what they learn you might as well be teaching them to wipe their asses with a computer.
http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/family/articles/2011/01/04/why_some_educators_are_putting_a_new_emphasis_on_woodworking_class/

Johan

What does cursive writing have to do with woodworking? I'm no woodworking expert but I can't remember a time when I needed cursive writing skills to accomplish any woodworking task. And while its certainly true that far fewer school systems still offer shop class than was the case 30 years ago, it is most certainly not true that high school shop is completely extinct.

PopeyesPappy

So I checked to see what Huntsville City Schools offers at trade school these days. No wood shop, auto body/repair or welding classes. They do still have carpentry and electrician curriculum though. Some of the new stuff (i.e. shit they didn't have in the 70s when I was there) includes computer security and networking, machining and 3D modeling.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

AllPurposeAtheist

Seriously considering getting one of these..

http://www.garrettwade.com/wood-threader-tap-die-set-gp.html for using to build furniture.. I've looked up wooden threaded screws and bolts on google, but so far haven't found much for reference, but I still love the idea. Years ago my grandmother had an old desk that was badly damaged so I took it apart and the top was held down using wooden screws..

And Johan you're right. Cursive writing has nothing to do with woodworking.  It's just kind of symptomatic of the things disappearing from the public knowledge base..

By the way, something I like about garretwade.com.. Most items they sell offer a pdf file you can download to explain how it's used and some instructions for use.. Nice touch I think..

drunkenshoe

(This thread is making me warm and giving me peace.)
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: drunkenshoe on March 06, 2016, 07:18:36 AM
(This thread is making me warm and giving me peace.)
That's the only reason for this thread.. Warmth and world peace..  I'm secretly preparing for my run to become the next Miss America..  :lol: