News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Woodworking

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, February 13, 2016, 05:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popsthebuilder

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on February 19, 2016, 08:49:55 AM
Just watched a video using what he calls Green and Green style which uses screws hidden with plugs.. Interesting stuff..
http://youtu.be/SxJ6qINNgmU It's basically box joints with an Asian twist which I like by the way.. I might just make a jewelry box for my granddaughter with the style and lock in place with pegs instead of screws..
I love a more old style construction especially for furniture.

Faith in selfless Unity for Good.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: popsthebuilder on February 19, 2016, 11:07:08 AM
I love a more old style construction especially for furniture.

Faith in selfless Unity for Good.

Is anything more disappointing than a nice looking piece of furniture that upon closer inspection is particle board and pocket screws?
To be honest there probably is like nuclear war, but crappy furniture is right up there with nuclear war..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

Yippie.. I fixed my crosscut sled.

Now if I can just learn to keep my fingers away from the blade....

Gawdzilla Sama

I have scars across three fingers to attest to that being a bad idea.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

kilodelta

That's an awesome coffee mug.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: kilodelta on February 20, 2016, 11:45:48 AM
That's an awesome coffee mug.
It's an old Wattaburger mug, about 50 years old..all glass. I like it..I try to avoid washing it. Coffee mugs shouldn't be washed unless something really nasty lands in it..

AllPurposeAtheist

So I've gotten pretty good at cutting slices of cow bone I once had a plan to use it for, but that didn't work out so now I have a small collection of bone slices I need to find a use for. Just put it in a vise and cut with a hand saw..  Thinking about a line of jewelry called Bad to the bone...

AllPurposeAtheist

If you're thinking of buying a dremel roto tool for $100 save your money and go to Harbor Freight and spend $30 for one of these handy doohickies.. It has more power and has a variable speed control  plus a nice 3" grinding wheel..

It fits any 1/8 inch shaft and if I'm not mistaken you can probably use other chucks with it though I haven't tried yet..

Gawdzilla Sama

Why not use a drill motor that you've clamped down?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 23, 2016, 05:16:48 AM
Why not use a drill motor that you've clamped down?
That'll work too.. For 30 bucks though it's nice to have the grinder.. Harbor freight also has a hanging flex shaft machine that's actually rated very well even though most of their stuff is crap..

AllPurposeAtheist

Made a snazzy tenon jig just because I'm kind of lazy when it comes to getting tenons square..
It ain't pretty, but it works..

AllPurposeAtheist

Joinery isn't great as the wood was badly cupped and twisted, but it gives me somewhere to put mail besides all over the dining room table..
To bad it's so badly cupped because it's a nice looking bit of western cedar.. Maybe some time with the plane someday and I can make 3/4 inch into some half decent 1/2 inch..
Western cedar is like working with balsa wood it's so soft,but nice looking grain..

AllPurposeAtheist

The first person to correctly identify this popular woodworking piece of equipment may win a million dollars* if they return the winning numbers on time! 

And no, it's not the wood plane..it's the thingamajig the wood plane is setting on..

*Just as soon as soon idiot is willing and able to cough up a million bucks for this non-existent contest of skill and cunning

stromboli

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 20, 2016, 11:33:13 AM
I have scars across three fingers to attest to that being a bad idea.

Well you got me beat. Just 6 stitches in my left thumb and cut a slot in my right index finger.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on February 26, 2016, 08:37:07 PM
The first person to correctly identify this popular woodworking piece of equipment may win a million dollars* if they return the winning numbers on time! 

And no, it's not the wood plane..it's the thingamajig the wood plane is setting on..

*Just as soon as soon idiot is willing and able to cough up a million bucks for this non-existent contest of skill and cunning

Workmate?
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.