Author Topic: Woodworking  (Read 24689 times)

Offline Cavebear

Re: Woodworking
« Reply #255 on: December 26, 2017, 10:02:41 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just testing out the google photo sharing app..

Nope..doesn't do didly squoot.. Never mind..

It may not have done "didly squoot", but my screen sure jumped a lot loading this thread!

Maybe a coincidence, but wow. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

« Reply #256 on: April 01, 2018, 03:43:30 PM »
I know some people dont consider bamboo to be wood. But this video shows some complicated wood working skills

not expecting god to show up, but if he does we’re going to have to beat the prick up.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #257 on: April 04, 2018, 01:48:47 AM »
I know some people dont consider bamboo to be wood. But this video shows some complicated wood working skills

Bamboo is a grass.  But that doesn't mean it doesn't have solid structure that can be worked.  One of the problems of searching for Southeast Asian artifacts is that bamboo was a great tool for them, but does not fossilize well.

Offline AllPurposeAtheist

« Reply #258 on: April 04, 2018, 06:14:34 PM »
No. I mean only building furniture for myself.  Starting with a real workbench.  I'm still using a cheap workbench that doubles as an extension to the old radial saw.  I am intending to build one of those rollable island workbenches like in the woodworking mags, then  some end tables, and finally a dining table.
One of the first things I built after getting reacquainted with working with wood was my bench.. I kind of went with the simple Paul Sellers design which is inexpensive and very well thought out using just plain 2x lumber.. He's got a ton of YouTube videos on the design to walk you through the entire process.
I've got a few years on in experience with the stuff I'm doing now and know the flaws I put in mine so I'll probably get around to rebuilding the top one of these days, but it's served me well for what I paid in material at the time..about $70 all total.  I didn't have a planer at the time so the top isn't very flat and I used softer pine..I'll probably go with yellow pine next time unless I get some outrageously great deal on some hardwood..
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 06:17:50 PM by AllPurposeAtheist »
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #259 on: April 05, 2018, 01:06:28 AM »
One of the first things I built after getting reacquainted with working with wood was my bench.. I kind of went with the simple Paul Sellers design which is inexpensive and very well thought out using just plain 2x lumber.. He's got a ton of YouTube videos on the design to walk you through the entire process.
I've got a few years on in experience with the stuff I'm doing now and know the flaws I put in mine so I'll probably get around to rebuilding the top one of these days, but it's served me well for what I paid in material at the time..about $70 all total.  I didn't have a planer at the time so the top isn't very flat and I used softer pine..I'll probably go with yellow pine next time unless I get some outrageously great deal on some hardwood..

There are several workbenches in my woodworking magazines and I have collected them on my dining room table to compare.  I'm going to choose one, but I need a balance between my construction skills and the quality.

I'm better at rough carpentry.  [url][http://cavebearslair.blogspot.com/2017/10/the-compost-bin.html/url]

But I plan to build a pair of end tables with "floating" tops this year and a dining room table next year.

« Reply #260 on: May 28, 2018, 02:51:36 PM »
You got the skills. The only thing that is different is that you gotta be a little bit more careful when you are measuring and cutting. ... and all those little things like changing from a 24tooth blade to an 80tooth blade.
and if something is driving you crazy there is probably a video on yutube to show how to make the jig that you need.
not expecting god to show up, but if he does we’re going to have to beat the prick up.

Online Munch

« Reply #261 on: May 28, 2018, 09:24:03 PM »
Saw these advertised recently for $20, really like the idea of these.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #262 on: May 29, 2018, 01:39:25 AM »
You got the skills. The only thing that is different is that you gotta be a little bit more careful when you are measuring and cutting. ... and all those little things like changing from a 24tooth blade to an 80tooth blade.
and if something is driving you crazy there is probably a video on yutube to show how to make the jig that you need.

I agree that my detail work needs work.  I'm slowly getting better, but I need to be more careful in the final measurements.  An and table will be goot pratice.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk