Author Topic: Woodworking  (Read 9104 times)

Re: Woodworking
« Reply #210 on: April 27, 2017, 07:44:24 AM »
But getting back to the scantily clad young lady...
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

« Reply #211 on: April 27, 2017, 06:25:29 PM »
Nice. A bandsaw is on my wish list. How did the previous owner fix the vibration issue?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

« Reply #212 on: May 05, 2017, 09:37:57 AM »

For those going through depression you might want to consider taking up woodworking.  It'll keep your mind occupied and give you a decent sense of accomplishment.
That is a great solution!  I use the same idea, only with computer games and reading, to keep my mind occupied.  Your solution is practical in that you have a practical item when you are finished with a project.  I don't.  But that's okay, games do keep me out of other people's hair.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent,
Is he able but not willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able or willing?
Then why call him god?

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #213 on: May 09, 2017, 04:20:11 AM »
Some people are artistic with wood.  My Grampa carved a whale and a greyhound.  My Dad made an eagle (I have them as keepsakes).  I do not have that talent.  To me, a block of wood does not have a figure waiting to be released from it.

I like making practical things.  A 2 level deck.  A 200' stepped shadowbox fence.  A wall-mounted 3-tier shoe rack.  A wall mounted 3-tier hat rack.  Shelves.  A garden shed.  Framed flower and veggie beds...

I don't lack imagination.  I read and write science fiction and fantasy.  I write poems.  I write haiku.  I cat-blog.

But I am just boringly practical when it comes to wood.  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead

Online Munch

« Reply #214 on: May 09, 2017, 10:05:29 PM »
Not woodwork, but similar, after meeting a lot of extended family at the funeral and wake of my great-aunt, I meet my second cousin once removed, who was a black Smith and artisan, who made a career out of warping and bending metalwork works of art, similar to this.

The way he described it gave me a good appreciation for metalwork and its craft.