News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Woodworking

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, February 13, 2016, 05:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Got the first fit up done.. I still need to cut new leg wedges and bolt it up and the tool well is too wide, but it's almost there.. Still a boatload of planing to do..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

So anyway..The bench disassembled into the 5 components..2 legs (well 4 actually), 2 top sections and the tool well.. The only thing holding it together is glue, the 4 small wooden wedges and 4 quarter inch lag bolts.. That's it and it'll probably support the weight of a couple of engine blocks or so..
Ignore the rest of the mess.. The garage is in transition from messy to slightly less messy..maybe more messy then less messy someday..

I'm moving things around and going to take apart a bunch of shelving just taking up space and tossing out a LOT OF junk..
Oh yeah..gotta move a bunch of crap out of the way to cut the grass tomorrow..

AllPurposeAtheist

That pile of lumber is  now my new workbench!  Weeee!
the old one is in the background..
Now I'm almost afraid to get it dirty, but I will. 
Fuck! I just realized that this means I have to start making stuff or else.. The garage just got a little smaller..
We've decided that I need a scantily clad young and comely woman to pose on top of it for pictures..  I sure can't think of anything more reasonable than that..

Flanker1Six

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on April 26, 2016, 09:42:44 AM
That pile of lumber is  now my new workbench!  Weeee!
Now I'm almost afraid to get it dirty, but I will. 
Fuck! I just realized that this means I have to start making stuff or else.. The garage just got a little smaller..
We've decided that I need a scantily clad young and comely woman to pose on top of it for pictures..  I sure can't think of anything more reasonable than that..

Looks nice! 

Aaaahhhhh yes; smaller available space...............the downside of new stuff.  Try to be philosophical about it though.........................if it gets bad enough you can always try for a little extra cash from those guys at the Buried Alive reality show as a featured episode!   

As attractive as the scantily young woman scheme is; keep in mind that if you have any kind of current love interest.....................there are potential risks  :hang: involved!   Good luck!   

AllPurposeAtheist

The scantily comely young woman posing was my gf's idea..  She's a bit on the heavy side and knows it, but that's irrelevant.. The chances of it happening are very close to zero..maybe less than that.. lol

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm about to have a very large pile of birch lumber. We had the tree out front taken down the other day and found a guy with a portable saw mill to come to the house to cut it for me. The trunk is about 15 feet long and about 20 inches in diameter.  Next I'll have to find a suitable place to dry it flat where I can keep it out of the rain.
We're thinking about making new kitchen counter tops,  laminated birch a few inches thick.. This is a long term project because I know that the wood may take a few years to dry properly and I don't know what kind of warping, cupping, twisting, etc., might take place..

AllPurposeAtheist

Something to use the gazillion 2x4 scraps for, planter boxes for the front yard.. I glued and clamped the 2x4 edges together to form 2x10s, cut the edges in a rough box joint, glued screwed and painted them. I have 2 made now, but going to make several more as time permits..

AllPurposeAtheist

Bought a nice little Makita circular saw for $30.. I don't have that many actual uses for it right now other than cutting the ragged edges off my workbench which is done, looks good and that's the story of my day.  Hold your excitement till later after I'm gone.

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm building a new bed frame with laminated 2x4 construction. I planed them down square, laminated the footboard and legs. It goes together tomorrow.
A few weeks ago I got my hands on an old Stanley Bailey #4 corogated plane. Best hand tool I've ever had.. it cuts perfect thin strips off every time without having to constantly readjust..

AllPurposeAtheist

So considering buying a biscuit cutting machine . I've never used one and from everything I read about them one of the great bargains now with biscuit cutting machines is the improved model by Harbor Freight for about $65. Toss in the 25% off coupon it's about $50.
Normally I wouldn't buy power equipment from HF after getting burned repeatedly, but I simply have not seen a single bad review of their newest biscuit cutter.
I've got several boards to join coming up on several projects so tomorrow I'm heading to HF..
Additional I think I finally have a product I believe will sell fairly well on Etsy. It's a small space saving table that fits under a mattress.
I made 2 for our bed and for cheap they're very sturdy and good looking. I figure I can sell them for about $80 per pair and should cost me about $6 to make, give or take a buck or two. These are items I can turn enough profit and perhaps be able to afford to actually use the RV. In the perfect world I'll have a mobile wood shop built into a trailer which is something we're considering to make items to sell in different towns along the way. I'm changing the corner brace look, but this little table will support about 60-70 pounds, not that many people are going to pile that much weight on an under the mattress table, but it's good to know it's going to last as opposed to cheap Chinese crap..

Johan

Nice design. I bought the dewalt biscuit tool a while ago. I've used it on a few projects and its worked great for me. So long as the tolerances are tight on the HF tool, it should work fine. You can do some real nice looking strong joinery with biscuits.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

AllPurposeAtheist

I did buy one (biscuit joiner), but there are many better and stronger joints. The biscuit cutter makes it easy and quick, but not necessarily stronger.
Anyway this used to be a 70 inch 2x4. It's now a 3/4 inch x 12 inch by 35 inch board. I priced a similar board at home depot today premade.. $35.. The 2x4 cost $2.29. I used the table saw and biscuit joiner to make it.. It's going to be part of the baby's cradle.

I bought a 8 foot 2x6 today to see how far it'll go to making 3/4 inch boards

I had to plane it smooth because I forgot to reset the blade angle of the table saw to 90 degrees.

AllPurposeAtheist

Well,  so far I've gotten to this point in making the cradle for my daughter's soon to be next kid. It's going to be made entirely of 2x4 lumber except for the hardware (screws and the pivot) and I may add some walnut veneer highlights.
The toughest learning curve for me at least was making 3/4 inch boards from 2x4s, but I have it down fairly well now.  I still have one end piece to glue up and the tenons and mortises to cut, a LOT of sanding to do then assembly..

It's loosely based on something similar to this pendulum cradle.

AllPurposeAtheist

Almost.. I still need to fix the pivots and tighten up the joints.. 

Johan

Looks fabulous. What's the plan for finish? Paint stain or just clear?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful