News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Woodworking

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, February 13, 2016, 05:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan

Looks great. Good solid joinery along with good symmetrical lines will always an aesthetic appeal.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Johan on April 17, 2016, 07:14:06 PM
Looks great. Good solid joinery along with good symmetrical lines will always an aesthetic appeal.
It's going to have to come apart though. The tenons on top have to be cut flush to fit the aprons. I don't know why I didn't think about that beforehand, but at least I haven't glued them in. I have the lumber for the aprons and the tool well and part of the top. I guess I got lucky and found plenty of nice straight lumber for once so there should be a minimum of planing..if you consider planing the wide parts of the 2x4s minimal..
A few of the joints won't need glue as they're tight enough, but a few will need glue. The last thing I need if to be assembling things and have the joints get stuck halfway in..
I'm still stuck on whether to make it 5' long or 6.. I like 5 better and less chance of it bowing in the middle.
I really wish I hadn't put the chisel into my hand..This would go a whole lot quicker..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

Holy crap it's a shitload of work planing a 12" by 6 foot long board, basically 3 2x4s glued together at the edges  so I need them down far enough to get past the rounded corners..I have two of them to do on both sides. It probably wouldn't be so bad if it were 70°, but it's already 85 and the garage sort of traps heat..
I should have invested in a power surface planer. This is going to take me a good long while..
If I die from a heart attack somewhere along the way just remember that I care about all of you.. Well,  some of you..Ok, almost nobody, but I do care..

AllPurposeAtheist

Does anyone believe that I actually swept up the mess in here yesterday?
It's BAAAAACK!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on April 19, 2016, 12:44:09 PM
Holy crap it's a shitload of work planing a 12" by 6 foot long board, basically 3 2x4s glued together at the edges  so I need them down far enough to get past the rounded corners..I have two of them to do on both sides. It probably wouldn't be so bad if it were 70°, but it's already 85 and the garage sort of traps heat..
I should have invested in a power surface planer. This is going to take me a good long while..
If I die from a heart attack somewhere along the way just remember that I care about all of you.. Well,  some of you..Ok, almost nobody, but I do care..
Have you considered standing them on the long edge and running them past the table saw blade? One pass on either side to get close to your thickness.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

I did consider it, but it's not really the thickness I'm trying to reduce so much as getting beyond the rounded corners not to mention that my table saw is a piece of junk as far as table saws go. I'm just about done with the aprons. I have the tool well to do then go buy the lumber for the top, glue it up, plane it then that moment of truth when I find out if I can assemle it square and true.. I'm getting all tingly inside just thinking about it..lol

AllPurposeAtheist

Glueup time always fun

Gawdzilla Sama

Looks like something the First Order would dream up.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 20, 2016, 01:23:31 AM
Looks like something the First Order would dream up.
It's really nothing more than a mind control contraption. Once you look at the image you'll be forever wanting to send me all of your money so whatever you do DON'T LOOK at this image of a mind control contraption..

The clamps symbolize the iron grip I have over all of your minds..

Gawdzilla Sama

You can't get an iron grip on Jello.
PZ Myers

stromboli

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 20, 2016, 12:04:52 PM
You can't get an iron grip on Jello.

Da Bum Ti- never mind.

AllPurposeAtheist

Half of the bench top, 8 2x4s.. I almost  ran out of glue just as I was finishing up on the 8th one.. That would have sucked..  8 more to go and it's assembly time!  Weeeeeeee! Things better damned well fit right..

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on April 20, 2016, 05:36:49 PM
  Things better damned well fit right..  [/img]
What could possibly go wrong?
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

Got the last of the glueups done so now it's planing endlessly for a few days.
Go figure that the ONLY board I found with no knots at all I cut too short..oh well..
Somehow I have to find the space to assemble this thing before taking out the old bench. I'm going to need that for assembly.. .
I did a quick estimation of total weight.  Somewhere I read that the average dry 2x4 weighs about 1.21 pounds per foot.  I reckon about 165 total board feet so somewhere around 200 pounds.. It's not a snatch n grab item..

AllPurposeAtheist

It's about ready for assembly. This has been a long project with a lot of work and it's still not done. I'll be doing a lot of planing to smooth it all down, but I feel good about it all going together ok.. I really need to clean up the shop and make some space in here.  It's definitely going to need some wheels being over 200 pounds..