News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Fired for being gay

Started by BarkAtTheMoon, March 22, 2013, 09:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarkAtTheMoon

Interesting article and worth a read. I didn't even know it was legal to fire someone simply for being gay in over half the states in this country, though I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/22/opinion/s ... ?hpt=hp_c1
QuotePut more directly: It's technically legal for employers in 29 states, from Florida to Alaska, to place want ads saying, "Gays need not apply," according to attorneys I spoke with.

To me, that's more offensive than gays not being able to marry.

The guy has a real point there.

QuoteIn addition to allowing gay people to be fired because of who they are, without legal recourse, Mississippi is one of 29 states where LGBT people can be evicted simply because of their sexual orientation or gender identity; one of seven that bans adoption by same-sex couples; one of 18 that still keeps laws on the books that ban sodomy, even though the Supreme Court declared such laws unconstitutional in 2003; and, of course, one of 38 states that bans same-sex marriage.

:shock: Unbefuckinglievable. I guess living in one of the other states you forget how bad it is in other places. Well sort of, marriage is currently banned, but the state has civil unions and there's talk of a marriage bill going through the governor has said he'll sign and is even supported by the executive director of the state GOP who's gay himself. http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Del- ... 367768.php.

tl;dr If you're LGBT, stay the hell out of Mississippi.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

WitchSabrina

Crazy fucking shit.............people being FIRED for being gay.   Sorry.  Cannot be nice about this........ Crazy Fucking Shit up one side and down the other.

grrrrrrrr
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Jason78

It must suck being gay in america.  

You can't marry, and now it seems that you can't work either?

Do they let gay people vote in america?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

BarkAtTheMoon

Just when you thought Arizona politicians couldn't get any stupider...

http://www.queerty.com/az-lawmaker-push ... -20130322/

QuoteSo Rep. Kavanagh is sponsoring a bill that would make it illegal to use a bathroom that doesn't match their biological gender: Under SB 1432, a person would be guilty of disorderly conduct, a Class One misdemeanor, if they used a bathroom or dressing room that didn't correspond to the birth sex listed on his or her birth certificate.

Get caught and you could face a $2,500 fine and up to six months in jail.

What in the ever loving fuck?
 :wtf:
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "BarkAtTheMoon"Just when you thought Arizona politicians couldn't get any stupider...

http://www.queerty.com/az-lawmaker-push ... -20130322/

QuoteSo Rep. Kavanagh is sponsoring a bill that would make it illegal to use a bathroom that doesn't match their biological gender: Under SB 1432, a person would be guilty of disorderly conduct, a Class One misdemeanor, if they used a bathroom or dressing room that didn't correspond to the birth sex listed on his or her birth certificate.

Get caught and you could face a $2,500 fine and up to six months in jail.

What in the ever loving fuck?
 :wtf:

That's just cause dem boys always peek under the stalls at us girls.  Silly boys.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Colanth

Quote from: "Jason78"It must suck being gay in america.  

You can't marry, and now it seems that you can't work either?
It varies by state in America.  In New York, among some other states, you can get married.

QuoteDo they let gay people vote in america?
Currently that's federal, so they have to.  I'm sure that many Americans would prefer Ugandan law - they wouldn't let gay people breathe.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

PapaSmurf34

Are you fucking kidding me? It's legal in over half the states to fire someone or evict them from their home simply for their sexual orientation?! This is the country I joined the navy to defend? I thought this was supposed to be the land of the free. A shining beacon of equality. I am very ashamed of my fellow citizens. America has disappointed me today.

billhilly

That's fucked up.  You'd think you would hear more about it if it was legal in half the states.  I've been working with gay people here in Texas for years and nobody seems to give a shit one way or another regardless of what our new member Jonny says about the place.  This shit is unbelievable.

NitzWalsh

If it's legal to say "No gays need apply" can you also say "No straights need apply"?
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

_Xenu_

Quote from: "NitzWalsh"If it's legal to say "No gays need apply" can you also say "No straights need apply"?
In theory yes. People would just laugh if straights were excluded, but if it were gays there would be a national scandal. (if they were as explicit as you suggest of course)
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Mermaid

Michigan is one of those states where you can be fired for being gay.

The more people know about it, the faster this bigotry and stupidity can be changed. Everyone needs to be aware of it.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Jmpty

What about federal labor law?
???  ??

mnmelt

Quote from: "Jmpty"What about federal labor law?

I thought that shit was against the law??.. Really.??? Jezzzzz...!!!!
Jesus loves me but I still make him wear a condom

Brian37

Quote from: "mnmelt"
Quote from: "Jmpty"What about federal labor law?

I thought that shit was against the law??.. Really.??? Jezzzzz...!!!!
The language does not address gender identity issues, only race, nationality,  and religion.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

hillbillyatheist

religion huh? so if the gays just claim their god commands them to be gay as part of their faith, places like Mississippi will be forced to protect them under the no religious discrimination clause!

Gotta love loopholes! LOL

at least until they join us in the 21st century.

Hey they just banned slavery a couple weeks ago, they're moving in the right direction! LOL
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here