"Ex-gay" bus ad banned and upheld :)

Started by Fidel_Castronaut, March 22, 2013, 08:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plu

Sorry about the possibly inappropriate post. I know it's a confusing, it's just something people say a lot (the whole "priests are gay and/or pedophiles". It wasn't meant to equate the two behaviours, although I can see it might come across as such.

Mermaid

Quote from: "Plu"Sorry about the possibly inappropriate post. I know it's a confusing, it's just something people say a lot (the whole "priests are gay and/or pedophiles". It wasn't meant to equate the two behaviours, although I can see it might come across as such.
And I saw that and what I wrote that wasn't aimed at you. But I keep reading that, WTF?

I really have to quit reading comments on news stories.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

SilentFutility

Quote from: "StupidWiz"
Quote from: "SilentFutility"
Quote from: "Colanth"But they're not really claiming to be no longer gay.  "Some people choose not to act on same-sex attraction."  Not acting on your desires doesn't mean that you no longer have those desires.  Bri is right - the amount of stupid is unbelievable.
Then they're not "ex-gay", they're gay and choosing to be celibate.
This is what ignorant people confuse by being gay is a choice while actually the fact is this.
Well yeah. My original post was a response to their claim that UK law should protect them as a minority (ex-gay), as it protects the homosexual minority. I was saying that they can't have it both ways, if they are ex-gay, they are no longer a minority as the majority are not gay, and if they're gay and choosing to be celibate, then they're not ex-gay.

AxisMundi

Quote from: "Fidel_Castronaut"http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21894518

A Christian group tried to get a poster put up on London busses to paraody a recent campaign by Stonewall (http://www.stonewall.org.uk/).

The original stonewall campaign read "some people are gay. get over it", whereas this new shit read "Not Gay! Ex gay, post gay (???) and proud. Get over it!"

It was banned by the London mayor for being hateful and inaccruate scientifically (moving on from being gay?). the christian group complained to try and get the ban overturned but they had their complaint slapped back in their face by High Court.

A good decision and a clear sign that the courts will not stand for BS like this. I mean, for example:

Quote"We are particularly concerned about the fact ex-gay minorities are not recognised in the legislation of the Equality Act 2010."

The Christian Legal Centre (CLC), which is supporting the Core Issues Trust, said: "Some people choose not to act on same-sex attraction. They should not be ostracised for doing so but helped, if that is what they choose."

Smokescreen tactics to try and obscure the fact that this organiastion wants to persecute people based on their sexuality. Fuck them.

Doesn't the UK have truth-in-advertising laws like we do in the US?

widdershins

I think the laws should be changed to allow protection for ex gays.  And ex ex gays who go back to being gay.  And ex ex ex gays who were gay, then weren't, then were again and now aren't.  And ex ex ex ex gays.  And ex ex ex ex ex gays and ex ex ex ex ex ex gays and ex ex ex ex ex ex ex gays.  And we can't stop there.  We also have to protect ex ex ex ex ex ex ex ex gays, and we certainly can't forget ex ex ex ex ex ex ex ex ex gays.  And while we're at it, there is nothing in the law protecting ex minorities.  And very few of the laws protecting the mentally retarded can actually be applied to the people making this argument, which is not right at all!  We need change!  And we need to protect ex-change (not to be confused with the stock market exchange, which is already beyond any application of law).
This sentence is a lie...

Fidel_Castronaut

Quote from: "AxisMundi"
Quote from: "Fidel_Castronaut"http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21894518

A Christian group tried to get a poster put up on London busses to paraody a recent campaign by Stonewall (http://www.stonewall.org.uk/).

The original stonewall campaign read "some people are gay. get over it", whereas this new shit read "Not Gay! Ex gay, post gay (???) and proud. Get over it!"

It was banned by the London mayor for being hateful and inaccruate scientifically (moving on from being gay?). the christian group complained to try and get the ban overturned but they had their complaint slapped back in their face by High Court.

A good decision and a clear sign that the courts will not stand for BS like this. I mean, for example:

Quote"We are particularly concerned about the fact ex-gay minorities are not recognised in the legislation of the Equality Act 2010."

The Christian Legal Centre (CLC), which is supporting the Core Issues Trust, said: "Some people choose not to act on same-sex attraction. They should not be ostracised for doing so but helped, if that is what they choose."

Smokescreen tactics to try and obscure the fact that this organiastion wants to persecute people based on their sexuality. Fuck them.

Doesn't the UK have truth-in-advertising laws like we do in the US?

Yes, we have the advertising standards authority which assesses 'truth' claims within advertising (flimsy as this is entirely subjective).

The reason for an appeal attempt by the Christian group is not because their advert was banned, rather the the way it was banned (the mayor of London stepping in to force the hand of transport for London which, to be fair, was probably going to ban it anyway).
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!