"Ex-gay" bus ad banned and upheld :)

Started by Fidel_Castronaut, March 22, 2013, 08:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fidel_Castronaut

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21894518

A Christian group tried to get a poster put up on London busses to paraody a recent campaign by Stonewall (http://www.stonewall.org.uk/).

The original stonewall campaign read "some people are gay. get over it", whereas this new shit read "Not Gay! Ex gay, post gay (???) and proud. Get over it!"

It was banned by the London mayor for being hateful and inaccruate scientifically (moving on from being gay?). the christian group complained to try and get the ban overturned but they had their complaint slapped back in their face by High Court.

A good decision and a clear sign that the courts will not stand for BS like this. I mean, for example:

Quote"We are particularly concerned about the fact ex-gay minorities are not recognised in the legislation of the Equality Act 2010."

The Christian Legal Centre (CLC), which is supporting the Core Issues Trust, said: "Some people choose not to act on same-sex attraction. They should not be ostracised for doing so but helped, if that is what they choose."

Smokescreen tactics to try and obscure the fact that this organiastion wants to persecute people based on their sexuality. Fuck them.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

WitchSabrina

[spoil:25rn323g][/spoil:25rn323g]
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

SilentFutility

Being "ex-gay" isn't being part of a fucking minority. If you were gay, and are now no longer gay, you are, like the vast majority of people, NOT GAY, assuming there is truth in the claim of being an "ex-homosexual".

Plu

QuoteBeing "ex-gay" isn't being part of a fucking minority. If you were gay, and are now no longer gay, you are, like the vast majority of people, NOT GAY, assuming there is truth in the claim of being an "ex-homosexual".

I wonder if these ex-gay people would be willing to undergo the brain scanning we can use to see if people are homosexual. (Which, if I'm not mistaken, we can see these days?)

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Colanth

But they're not really claiming to be no longer gay.  "Some people choose not to act on same-sex attraction."  Not acting on your desires doesn't mean that you no longer have those desires.  Bri is right - the amount of stupid is unbelievable.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Plu

Quote from: "Colanth"But they're not really claiming to be no longer gay.  "Some people choose not to act on same-sex attraction."  Not acting on your desires doesn't mean that you no longer have those desires.  Bri is right - the amount of stupid is unbelievable.

In that case they should just join the catholic church. Those repressed gay men have enough rights that they can fiddle kids and get away with it. I don't see what they're complaining about.

Jason78

Quote from: "Plu"
Quote from: "Colanth"But they're not really claiming to be no longer gay.  "Some people choose not to act on same-sex attraction."  Not acting on your desires doesn't mean that you no longer have those desires.  Bri is right - the amount of stupid is unbelievable.

In that case they should just join the catholic church. Those repressed gay men have enough rights that they can fiddle kids and get away with it. I don't see what they're complaining about.

You seem to be confusing gay with pedophile.

ApostateLois

:lol: What movie is that "Pray out the gay" video from?
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Jason78

Quote from: "ApostateLois":lol: What movie is that "Pray out the gay" video from?

It's from a Malcolm in the Middle episode where Francis pretends to be gay so he can nail some chick.

SilentFutility

Then they're not "ex-gay", they're gay and choosing to be celibate.

VaasMontenegro

Religious groups seem to be doing a lot of advertising lately, in-fact, here in Edinburgh, they have a "Try Praying" ad, with some other faded-out bible quotes in the background.

I feel like I should buy some advertising rights and have this advertised next to it:

"I\'m not a schemer. I just try to show the schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are."

StupidWiz

Quote from: "SilentFutility"
Then they're not "ex-gay", they're gay and choosing to be celibate.
This is what ignorant people confuse by being gay is a choice while actually the fact is this.
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

the_antithesis

Mermaid

Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "Plu"

You seem to be confusing gay with pedophile.
Why the fuck do people DO that? It makes absolutely no sense.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR