Ron Paul Warns of Dollar Collapse On 19 Feb 2016

Started by josephpalazzo, February 08, 2016, 06:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skeletal Atheist

Honestly, if a shtf situation happened and dollars didn't mean anything anymore, the ability to distill liquor would do you a lot more good than any gold. It can be replenished, it has multiple uses (fuel, antiseptic, drink, fire accelerate), and it's hard enough too do that most people wouldn't be able to do so properly, so it's scarce
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

josephpalazzo

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on February 13, 2016, 02:50:37 PM
Honestly, if a shtf situation happened and dollars didn't mean anything anymore, the ability to distill liquor would do you a lot more good than any gold. It can be replenished, it has multiple uses (fuel, antiseptic, drink, fire accelerate), and it's hard enough too do that most people wouldn't be able to do so properly, so it's scarce

In the ancient roman times, soldiers were paid in amounts of salt - where the word "salary" comes from. As I said above, whatever currency, gold, alcohol, salt you use its value as trading vehicle  relies on the confidence people have. The only way the US would collapse is if there is an asteroid the size of the moon about to impact the earth. All hell would break lose and no currency would have any value. What are the odds?

stromboli

I don't know if anyone else has been down the survivalist road, but I was into it as a Mormon. You don't trade ammunition because the guy you trade to HAS A GUN and can use it against you. Whiskey/liquor good, medical supplies. If you store gasoline (not recommended) put stabilizer in it to extend octane life. A better bet is a bicycle or alternative powered vehicle. You can make alcohol for fuel but it is rather tedious and requires a serious investment to build and use a still.

Gun powder (or Pyrodex for black powder rifles) can be stored -carefully- in bulk. A black powder rifle- preferably a modern percussion cap rifle, is a good mainstay. Also bullet reloading equipment. Depending on loads and how often you shoot, bullets can be reloaded safely up to 4-5 times.

Food storage is a whole nother subject. Read up on it.

The Skeletal Atheist

Food storage? I still get emails from food storage guys I got free samples from. Thank the lawd I have disposable email accounts and filters out I would be annoyed.

josephpalazzo

Ok, this is your last day before the apocalypse. You've been warned!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hydra009

Quote from: josephpalazzo on February 13, 2016, 03:09:39 PMIn the ancient roman times, soldiers were paid in amounts of salt - where the word "salary" comes from.
Paid in salt?  Or paid an allowance for the purchase of salt?  Wasn't the word derived from the salt roads (salaria)?

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 18, 2016, 11:54:44 AM
Paid in salt?  Or paid an allowance for the purchase of salt?  Wasn't the word derived from the salt roads (salaria)?

There are different versions - give it to historians to make things more complicated than they are... ***runs away...

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: josephpalazzo on February 13, 2016, 03:09:39 PM
In the ancient roman times, soldiers were paid in amounts of salt - where the word "salary" comes from. As I said above, whatever currency, gold, alcohol, salt you use its value as trading vehicle  relies on the confidence people have. The only way the US would collapse is if there is an asteroid the size of the moon about to impact the earth. All hell would break lose and no currency would have any value. What are the odds?
Alcohol has value more than confidence because it can used. It has practical value. It's the uses that make it valuable, not some subjective thing like confidence. The same goes for salt.

My plan if shit ever hits the fan is to grow food and distill alcohol. One may also want to train on basic medicine. Any skill that can fulfill basic needs becomes something that can be traded in such a scenario.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on February 18, 2016, 10:21:26 PM
Alcohol has value more than confidence because it can used. It has practical value. It's the uses that make it valuable, not some subjective thing like confidence. The same goes for salt.

My plan if shit ever hits the fan is to grow food and distill alcohol. One may also want to train on basic medicine. Any skill that can fulfill basic needs becomes something that can be traded in such a scenario.
If the shit hits the fan you might want to reconsider whether to plug in the fan or not.

Oh! By the way..The dollar collapsed in my pocket .. I was going to put it in my wallet, but I was in a hurry.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

josephpalazzo

I'm not seeing a collapse. So where's Ron Paul?... oh wait, there's another 12 hours to go...

Atheon

Isn't Ron Paul one of those Gold Standard nutcases?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

stromboli

Far as I know my banker hasn't slashed wrist just yet, but the day is young.....

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: stromboli on February 09, 2016, 10:21:50 AM
No gold. I have bullets. And lots of senile, trusting elderly neighbors. I will survive. MUHAHAHAAAA.....

Get the sick ones first so you can ransack their medicine cabinets. Antibiotics will be worth their weight in gold and more during the tribulations.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.