News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

New here

Started by AllRight, February 07, 2016, 10:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllRight

Quote from: Knighthawk1001 on February 11, 2016, 01:15:44 AM
When was the first time you guys started to question your religion. And if you were never part of one how did you become a atheist

Wondering how god supposedly "blesses" some people, particularly sports figures while he lets children starve and be molested was one of the reasons I began to question my religion. Being raised in a "christian" home it slowly unraveled for me.  I never felt comfortable in any church I went to and somewhere in the back of my mind I think I knew it was all a fairy tale like Santa Claus.  Another thing that really struck me is meeting people at work from all over the world and seeing how their religion is just as important to them as christianity was to me and I would think "yeah, if I were born in another part of the world I wouldn't be "christian" but have been indoctrinated from birth into another religion and feel just as committed to it."

Knighthawk1001

What's funny is I am 16 and go to church but more because my parents can't handle me telling them anything. If I told them I don't believe in god they would shove more scriptural and spiritual stuff down my throat. I am going to keep it a secret until I'm 18-20 when I'm going off to college that way I won't be punished for having a different opinion on life. What are your thoughts?

Draconic Aiur

gentle_dissident

gentle_dissident

TomFoolery

Quote from: AllRight on February 12, 2016, 04:47:05 PM
Another thing that really struck me is meeting people at work from all over the world and seeing how their religion is just as important to them as christianity was to me and I would think "yeah, if I were born in another part of the world I wouldn't be "christian" but have been indoctrinated from birth into another religion and feel just as committed to it."

An oldie, but a goodie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl_TrvIIcBY

Quote from: Knighthawk1001 on February 12, 2016, 05:53:22 PM
What's funny is I am 16 and go to church but more because my parents can't handle me telling them anything. If I told them I don't believe in god they would shove more scriptural and spiritual stuff down my throat. I am going to keep it a secret until I'm 18-20 when I'm going off to college that way I won't be punished for having a different opinion on life. What are your thoughts?
I began somewhat doubting when I was around your age, but the thought of there being no "creator" seemed baffling, overwhelming, and depressing. I went on that way for so long that eventually I realized the problem: the fact that I wanted to believe so badly meant that on a fundamental level, I really didn't. Wanting to have faith and actually having it aren't the same thing, and I think many people who claim a belief in some god actually fall into this category. I think many people can see the logical fallacies, anachronisms, oddities, inconveniences and hypocrisies within their religions, but the thought of turning it away is worse because there has to be some alternative, right? If not the Christian God or the Muslim God or even something less tangible like karma, then what? It's when you decide, well, maybe then nothing, or perhaps I'm ok with not knowing and that's ok, that you experience real freedom.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Solomon Zorn

I hate church now. I couldn't sit there in silence and listen to the retarded sermons and testimonials, or the long winded prayers. Even singing hymns is not as enjoyable anymore. It would be unbearable, for me, to keep quiet about it. I don't know if I could do it.

But, for you, it is probably pragmatic to wait till college. Good luck, and whenever you need to share your thoughts about it, the forum is always here.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

AllRight

Ultimately you have to protect yourself and if telling you parents means they won't pay for your college or shun you and you really value the relationship I would try to keep it to yourself.  You shouldn't be punished for your beliefs.  If you don't care and are paying for your own schooling and have no inheritance that you will eventually lose out on because of telling then be honest if you want.  I tend to be outspoken but the older I get I am learning when it benefits me to keep my thoughts to myself.  Work is especially not a place I can be myself.  It's hard to be guarded all the time especially when many around you are constantly spewing religious babble. which is why I am glad I found this site where I can be honest about my non belief.

AllRight

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on February 12, 2016, 06:42:35 AM
I  I became schizophrenic, and started experiencing phenomena that have been deemed hallucinations. In the process of explaining those experiences to myself, I succumbed to a lot of delusions. Over the next five years I realized that my beliefs about God were a delusion as well. By 2001, I was a firm non-believer.

My only son nearing his 18th bday began having religious based delusions over a year ago and has been under the care of a psychiatrist ever since.  This was the last straw for me. How could a loving god let my only baby have these horrible self depriciating thoughts (he was having thoughts like demons telling him he wasn't worthy and that he would go to hell).  This kid is one of the sweetest, kindest (yes I know mom is biased) and was suffering horrible delusions that made him terrified to be alone and unable to sleep at a time that should have been one of the happiest of his life (senior year). This whole experience made me feel so guilty I even ever introduced my son to religion.

AllRight

Quote from: gentle_dissident on February 11, 2016, 01:49:04 PM
I remember being 6 , leaning over the open freezer door, thinking that the adults were scared and taking any explanation. My father later told me that it was important to conform, or I would be shut out of prosperity by the rest of humanity (This is apparently what is meant by "Cristlike") . That may have been true, but now that huge lots of people have been shut out of prosperity just because they aren't type A enough, I'm in the poor house with many believers.

I remember having terrifying nightmares about god when I was little.  It was always like he was sending a violent storm with dark clouds after me for being "bad".

SGOS

Quote from: TomFoolery on February 12, 2016, 10:47:56 PM
the fact that I wanted to believe so badly meant that on a fundamental level, I really didn't.

^

trdsf

Quote from: AllRight on February 13, 2016, 07:14:56 AM
I remember having terrifying nightmares about god when I was little.  It was always like he was sending a violent storm with dark clouds after me for being "bad".
Yeah, I had those.  Every little transgression, I worried about going to hell over -- Catholicism really has raised guilt to an art form.  I started wobbling a bit in my senior year - Catholic HS, we had a theology teacher who genuinely encouraged questioning one's faith as a way to strengthen it and was willing to take the risk of loosening it further.  College broke that once and for all -- although I moved into polytheism rather than atheism.  At least modern Wicca isn't about making you feel guilty for just being human.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

gentle_dissident

Quote from: trdsf on February 13, 2016, 01:38:34 PM
At least modern Wicca isn't about making you feel guilty for just being human.
I get some fantastic herbs at great prices at our Wiccan tea shop. The witch stuff is pretty, and appeals to my fondness for fantasy. I like to use Tarot cards as a psychological tool.

As long as the Wiccans provide me drugs, psychology, and Skyclads, I won't put the freaks down.

trdsf

Quote from: gentle_dissident on February 13, 2016, 02:22:03 PM
I get some fantastic herbs at great prices at our Wiccan tea shop. The witch stuff is pretty, and appeals to my fondness for fantasy. I like to use Tarot cards as a psychological tool.

As long as the Wiccans provide me drugs, psychology, and Skyclads, I won't put the freaks down.
And they don't feel obliged to preach at you and/or convert you.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

AllPurposeAtheist

Just open your heart as they love to tell folks.. Just open your heart to Jebuski and he'll fill it with joy and blah, fucking blah.. I tried it and what I learned is that to open my heart I would need a cardiac surgeon and it would really hurt..
Sorry, but the ONLY reason I'm opening my heart is if I require open heart surgery and it's not going to be some imaginary dead spook,but a well qualified surgeon in a hospital.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.