News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

New here

Started by AllRight, February 07, 2016, 10:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllRight

Hi Everyone!

I am 43, live slightly north of the bible belt in the U.S., and a closet Atheist for several months now.  As a child my parents took my siblings and I to church on Sundays but were never super religious outside of believing jesus died for the sins of mankind.  It seemed to me like they took us to church as an obligation and I never felt comfortable going even after trying different churches as an adult. I attended a christian university, studied the bible on my own for many years, and studied many denominations of christianity while at the same time working alongside people of varying religious beliefs including hindus, muslims and  christian fundamentalists. 

Every church I ever went to had a pecking order, jealousy and hypocrisy and I always had a hard time reconciling that behavior with the teachings of christ. The judgment and hypocrisy I have experience over the years from many christians are behaviors I personally strive to refrain from. Where I live christians automatically assume their beliefs are shared by everyone, so they inject religion into conversations without a second thought.  This happens to me a lot and all I can do is smile and nod or have no reaction.

My beliefs unraveled over the course of many years but once I began to hold my religious beliefs to the same standard I judged others by, the process moved quickly.  Once I began to study the bible and notice all of violence, contradictions and sexism it made no sense to me that it would ever come from a supreme being, but I could see how man would be motivated to write it in order to exert control over others in a patriarchal society. It saddens and angers me greatly that in this modern age human rights are still being violated around the world in the name of religion.

I think my family suspects that I no longer believe because my parents bring up god and jesus when I am around and they never used to, but since they are getting older and probably afraid of their own eventual deaths I just go along with it to save their feelings. I’ve had religion crammed down my throat my whole life and am tired of it but don’t feel I can be honest with family, friends for fear of losing them. I am very glad to have found this forum so maybe I won’t feel as isolated, so thanks for being here and listening…

AllRight

stromboli

Welcome to the party. Many here with similar stories. It can get emotional or rude, but the discussion is generally insightful and you can learn a lot.

Baruch

Welcome.  Hope you find this forum a way out of isolation ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Solomon Zorn

Welcome, AllRight! I'm an ex-Christian as well. Just a little older than you. Hope you find some encouragement here.

Here's a link to some poems you might enjoy: http://www.solomonzorn.com/religious-poems.html
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

Greetings, when we pronounce your name should we hear matthew Mcconaughey in our head?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Another soul seduced by reason.  Lost to the dark side and isolated from the protection of the flock.  Is this how it ends?  We must stand together in Christian unity, and reaffirm our belief in Christ, now more than ever.  The Muslim Hordes are coming.

Welcome to the forum.  And please forgive me.  I have no idea where that rant came from.

AllPurposeAtheist

But, but, but..what if they're right and we're wrong?  We'll all burn in H E double dirty q-tips forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and....

Ok, you see where this is headed..
It's ok to be wrong once in awhile Allright.. in this case you probably aren't so pat yourself on the back and give them a nice big fuckoff under your breath and move along..  Welcome to the site.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllRight

Quote from: aitm on February 08, 2016, 09:53:07 AM
Greetings, when we pronounce your name should we hear matthew Mcconaughey in our head?

more like Linda Belcher from "Bob's Burgers" ;-)

Mr.Obvious

Welcome Allright, to our little band of heathens.
I got a feeling you'll fit right in.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Knighthawk1001

Hey everybody. Man it feels really good to know you're not the only who doesn't believe in God. Especially when you've been in a lds church your whole life and you finally snap out of stupidity mode

stromboli

Quote from: Knighthawk1001 on February 10, 2016, 11:03:02 PM
Hey everybody. Man it feels really good to know you're not the only who doesn't believe in God. Especially when you've been in a lds church your whole life and you finally snap out of stupidity mode

Welcome. Former Mormon. The only other one, actually. Have you visited any ex-Mormon websites like R/exmormon on Reddit? 27,000 members, a very active forum. I left the church in 1992.

Knighthawk1001

Haha sadly no. Lately I have just been feeling like if God truly loves everyone of his children then explain the holocaust in any meaningful logical basis.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Knighthawk1001 on February 11, 2016, 01:01:25 AM
Haha sadly no. Lately I have just been feeling like if God truly loves everyone of his children then explain the holocaust in any meaningful logical basis.
Forget the holocaust..I just want the fuck to explain toothaches ..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.