News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Ever wonder what happened with Mercurochrome?

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, February 05, 2016, 07:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Mermaid on February 06, 2016, 12:17:28 PM
I also find it interesting that the same people who whine about Big Pharma are the first people to also whine when the agencies don't approve experimental drugs that target problems they deem to be Important, like cancer drugs Ebola vaccines because "curing them would not make them as much money".

i do approve of medical and pharma research ... I just understand that none of this is a panacea, and none of you/us are superheroes.  If what you think you are doing, is developing a panacea ... then you need to find other work ;-).  I have been in medicine for almost 20 years now ... but not a doctor (sorry to the authoritarians here, I will crawl under a rock and never comment on anything unless I have a damn MD/PhD ... no, you experts can bite me!)  I am not saying that pharmacy research is corrupt (but the capitalism and politics it is imbedded in is) ... but perhaps some whistleblower can tell us all about the next Thalidomide.  Forgot about that one?

Just like in engineering (something I also used to do) ... you have to stick a fork in it, and call it done.  But science/technology is no ethical free for all.  If you build a bridge, and it falls down and kills people anyway ... because you made a mistake (that would never happen) then you are professionally liable ... are you aware of every patient who tries your products during development?  How about how drug marketing is done in the US, have any problem with that?  You may try to be as ethical as possible ... I do.

But I know what I am doing ... I support the Deep State, and that kills people, including Americans ... even without trial.  Stuff I do now is more peaceful, but I used to work on stuff to kill millions of people.  But no conspiracy theory where I work ... we don't keep comatose people "on-line" to harvest their organs.  But that is a strawman ... black/white thinking.  Do you have self awareness and a conscience?  Has anything you worked on ever had a bad reaction with a patient?  Collateral damage that ... same as what I support.  It bothers me, but being the adult I am, I gauge if I can continue or not given reality.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on February 06, 2016, 09:40:56 PM
Wow, I haven't thought about mercurochrome in some time.  I had it daubed on me countless times.

Wonder whatever happened to Demazin?  That was our go-to medication when the coughs and sniffles started.  It was prescription only when I was little, then OTC, then gone.

(googles that)

Well, damn.  Banned because one of its ingredients was linked to strokes in young women.  Okay, don't give it to them.  I'm an old man, I want my drug cocktail that worked.

Exactly ... but I am not saying that the drug researchers or the drug company knew about that beforehand.  Research is imperfect ... but marketing ... priceless!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

Quote from: Baruch on February 07, 2016, 11:48:45 AM
i do approve of medical and pharma research ... I just understand that none of this is a panacea, and none of you/us are superheroes.  If what you think you are doing, is developing a panacea ... then you need to find other work ;-).  I have been in medicine for almost 20 years now ... but not a doctor (sorry to the authoritarians here, I will crawl under a rock and never comment on anything unless I have a damn MD/PhD ... no, you experts can bite me!)  I am not saying that pharmacy research is corrupt (but the capitalism and politics it is imbedded in is) ... but perhaps some whistleblower can tell us all about the next Thalidomide.  Forgot about that one?

Just like in engineering (something I also used to do) ... you have to stick a fork in it, and call it done.  But science/technology is no ethical free for all.  If you build a bridge, and it falls down and kills people anyway ... because you made a mistake (that would never happen) then you are professionally liable ... are you aware of every patient who tries your products during development?  How about how drug marketing is done in the US, have any problem with that?  You may try to be as ethical as possible ... I do.

But I know what I am doing ... I support the Deep State, and that kills people, including Americans ... even without trial.  Stuff I do now is more peaceful, but I used to work on stuff to kill millions of people.  But no conspiracy theory where I work ... we don't keep comatose people "on-line" to harvest their organs.  But that is a strawman ... black/white thinking.  Do you have self awareness and a conscience?  Has anything you worked on ever had a bad reaction with a patient?  Collateral damage that ... same as what I support.  It bothers me, but being the adult I am, I gauge if I can continue or not given reality.
How where did I say anything about a panacea?

Forget about thalidomide? That's the WHOLE REASON the FDA is in place. Did YOU forget that?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Baruch

Quote from: Mermaid on February 07, 2016, 11:56:21 AM
How where did I say anything about a panacea?

Forget about thalidomide? That's the WHOLE REASON the FDA is in place. Did YOU forget that?

You must be a Republican ;-)  The purpose of US regulation, is to protect business, not the consumer.  Ever here about the SEC?  Oh, the public gets protection all right.  And as I understand it, since Grandpa Reagan, the FDA isn't run the way it was at first.  They purged those troublesome Democrats right out of that agency (and as many others as they can).

I thought patriotism was a panacea ... but I grew up.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

Quote from: Baruch on February 07, 2016, 12:04:38 PM
You must be a Republican ;-)  The purpose of US regulation, is to protect business, not the consumer.  Ever here about the SEC?  Oh, the public gets protection all right.  And as I understand it, since Grandpa Reagan, the FDA isn't run the way it was at first.  They purged those troublesome Democrats right out of that agency (and as many others as they can).

I thought patriotism was a panacea ... but I grew up.
You keep assigning me traits that I am not displaying. I am a left wing liberal. I also have a firsthand understanding of the practicalities of how modern medicines are produced.

I said nothing about our current state of oligarchy, which I probably agree completely with you about. "Ever hear of the SEC"? Why are you speaking to me like I am a 6 year old?

My point, in case you missed it, was that you spoke to me like I was an idiot and had "forgotten" about thalidomide, when in fact, that very incident was WHY the FDA was structured the way it is. In direct response to a chemical being distributed to women for problems associated with pregnancy without the benefit of our current safety and efficacy testing, and with disastrous results. Modern medicine is no panacea, but it sure makes our lives a lot better than things were a century ago, when people were sure to die of some infectious disease or other. The FDA does the best it can do to protect consumers from fraudulent claims and safety issues. It's by no means a perfect system. I'd love to hear your suggestion if you have a better solution.

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mermaid on February 06, 2016, 12:17:28 PM
I also find it interesting that the same people who whine about Big Pharma are the first people to also whine when the agencies don't approve experimental drugs that target problems they deem to be Important, like cancer drugs Ebola vaccines because "curing them would not make them as much money".
I don't put any store in conspiracy theories or ideas, either.  For me Big Pharma is simply another corp. getting all it can in profit.  What gets me, are the prices.  Last year, when I fell into the doughnut hole, I was charged over $500 each for a months supply of long acting and another for short acting insulin.  Needless to say, I did not pay that--I just did without.  My older father-in-law was charged $3000 for a 10 day supply of an antibiotic.  Are those prices caused by a conspiracy?  No.  Greed--yes.  I simply cannot understand that those prices are warranted. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

There is no free market chump ... particularly in medicine.  It is an oligopoly, not an oligopsony.

Power, wealth, fame ... no conspiracy there, these aren't the vices you are looking for, carry on.

And no, same idea, different industry ... I don't think there is a secret carburetor out there, giving 100 miles per gallon, that Detroit is hiding.

Profit is good, all criminal elements thrive on it, including those who don't think they are criminals, because their bread is oh so white.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mermaid on February 07, 2016, 12:47:53 PM
You keep assigning me traits that I am not displaying. I am a left wing liberal. I also have a firsthand understanding of the practicalities of how modern medicines are produced.

I said nothing about our current state of oligarchy, which I probably agree completely with you about. "Ever hear of the SEC"? Why are you speaking to me like I am a 6 year old?

My point, in case you missed it, was that you spoke to me like I was an idiot and had "forgotten" about thalidomide, when in fact, that very incident was WHY the FDA was structured the way it is. In direct response to a chemical being distributed to women for problems associated with pregnancy without the benefit of our current safety and efficacy testing, and with disastrous results. Modern medicine is no panacea, but it sure makes our lives a lot better than things were a century ago, when people were sure to die of some infectious disease or other. The FDA does the best it can do to protect consumers from fraudulent claims and safety issues. It's by no means a perfect system. I'd love to hear your suggestion if you have a better solution.

Well, being a right-of-center Democrat is so much more progressive that a farther-right-of-center Republican ... but enough about those assholes.

Yes, we need agencies that look out for the public.  But as long as they are public or private run ... it is corruption all the way down.  Something sponsored by the AMA (in the US) should be sufficient, but it isn't, because the AMA doesn't care for patients, they aren't members.

And I agree that the perfect is the enemy of the practical.  But I didn't realize for a long time, that the practical had background music like in the Godfather movie.  If you can't fight the criminals, join them and fight for good crime on the inside.

No, not trying to talk down to anyone ... trying to wake people up!  Too bad the seven deadly sins are real, even if Jesus isn't.  But see, you and I are part of the oligarchy, and not way on the outside, we are on the inside.

The FDA historically, happened because of patent medicine and narcotics addiction ... way before the 1960s.  For me, all medicines, well meaning or not, are patents medicines ... some are licit and some are not.  Same as tobacco vs marijuana.  And narcotics addition (and nicotine addiction) is real.  But there is politics involved in what is allowed and what is not ... science just feeds the beast, same as the nuclear industry.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.